PDA

View Full Version : New addition incoming/most suitable cage?

Susie
09-23-2013, 03:08 AM
On Thursday i am welcoming a 3 year old chinese hamster into my home, he's being given away for free. I wondered what would be the most suitable home for such a little old lad?

Babycakes
09-23-2013, 03:30 AM
Mini duna would be good for an elderly Chinese

Scampi16
09-23-2013, 04:27 AM
i would say either a mini Duna or if up to it a Zoozone 1 (good space, no levels/ladders etc).

racinghamster
09-23-2013, 04:57 AM
Hi Susie. It depends on him and what his activity levels are right now. If you can find out a little bit about him from his previous home, that might give you some idea of which cage size he requires. :) He`s a good age already which is great! I would be inclined to agree with a Zoozone 1 at best, although I wouldn`t rule out the Ferplast Duna in case it`s adequate for his age and needs. As long as he has a decent wheel. Chinese hamster love climbing, but I wouldn`t go mad with cage height at his age if he`s been used to living in a barred cage. If not, just go with one of the afore-mentioned. x

Susie
09-25-2013, 06:56 AM
The previous owner is giving me next to no description on him. He'll be here tomorrow, so i can then assess what he'd be best suited to. I can't wait to meet the little guy.

racinghamster
09-25-2013, 07:19 AM
Looking forward to an update. :) If he`s arriving in a cage, then that will allow you to judge what he`s been used to and can either keep him as he is, or give him a better cage depending on what you feel he might prefer. Chinese hamsters are either quite outgoing, or very timid/shy. But given his age, I would guess that he will be quite a nosey little guy. :)

Susie
09-25-2013, 11:12 AM
I shall keep this thread updated :D Indeedy, i'll probably keep him in whatever he comes in as to not inflict too much stress until i know where things are at with caging.
Ahaha, i have 3 very timid chinese hammies at the moment :P Me and GhostsInSnow have come up with the name Leon for the new addition... it fits well with the lil theme i have going on 'Leon, Enzo, Laika and Robin' which will be the 4 chineseys :D

racinghamster
09-26-2013, 02:42 AM
So he`s arriving today yes? :)

Susie
09-26-2013, 03:14 AM
Yes he is :D he's being picked up at 1 by my friend and he'll be here around 3 :)

racinghamster
09-26-2013, 06:07 AM
Aw, lovely. Hope he`s okay with the journey and settles right down once he`s with you. :)

kimlck
09-26-2013, 09:39 AM
Also looking forward to an update, and of course the obligatory pics of Leon :)

Susie
09-26-2013, 09:45 AM
Tehe, well he arrived today. My, he's a big chinese hamster o.O he came in a small criceti cage with fluffy bedding. He's never been handled in his life according to the person giving him away...He's a bit wobbly on his feet so i think a 1 level mini duna is possibly the way to go? I will upload some pics shortly of the old fella :D

racinghamster
09-26-2013, 09:53 AM
Aw bless. Yes I agree, the Ferplast Mini Duna should suit him fine, especially with the colder nights approaching. And he`s survived the fluffy bedding which is great. What was his diet, do you know? Perhaps a wee change to high fibre and lower fat might make his weight better. The Burgess Dwarf mix is very good. x

Susie
09-26-2013, 10:07 AM
I'll fix him up a duna, it'll be equipped with toys and it's a bit bigger than his current cage. Waiting for my viovet order to arrive, he's got loads of little toys coming >.<
I have no idea what his diet was, the fella was as much use as a brick wall when i asked him questions about the hammy. I currently use JR dwarf hamster feast & extras for my chinese and dwarf hammies, i gave him some and he's going mental over it! He didn't arrive with changeover food and the fella isn't much use so i didn't have much option with it. Anyway here's Leon, named because my theme for my male chinese hammies is cars, my other male Chinese is named Enzo and Leon is after Seat Leon. :D

http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj627/SusieJen/1265856_510604675697815_1831614857_o_zps4bd03f4d.j pg (http://s1271.photobucket.com/user/SusieJen/media/1265856_510604675697815_1831614857_o_zps4bd03f4d.j pg.html)

racinghamster
09-26-2013, 10:50 AM
Hello little Leon, your a wee star. :) I`m sure he`s loving the JR Farm food Susie it`s a really good mix. Hopefully he will have a good nap and have fun in his new cage tonight with his new mum. x

I was much the same when I rehomed Fred my little robo a few weeks ago from a Gumtree advert. The owner was all talk and then just ignored me, so my friend stepped in and we managed to get him, but it wouldn`t have happened otherwise. It can be cat and mouse when dealing with these individuals. The main thing is getting the hamsters into a better home. x

Babycakes
09-26-2013, 11:01 AM
Ahhhh hello Leon. He looks like a wizened old man and in need of lots of love and TLC. I love him

Call me Alison
09-26-2013, 06:11 PM
awww he's a gorgeous little thing :) xxxx