PDA

View Full Version : Golden Linseed v Brewers Yeast??

Noodles
06-17-2008, 02:49 PM
I was going to get some brewers yeast tomorrow from Holland and Barrett but I've just read a thread by Matty about golden linseed being good for fur too so now I'm not sure which one to get! (I didn't want to hijack your thread Matty :) )

Which should I get? or both? It's for syrians if that makes a difference??

Also whilst I'm at Holland and Barratts, should I get anything else? Noodles is about 1 and baby is just 8 weeks.

Thanks guys!

Spuds Mum
06-17-2008, 03:04 PM
Ive not tried the H&B linseed, but Ive got the brewers yeast and have been quite impressed with the results. It can be sprinkled on food or mixed into wet food very easily.

Oh there are lots of things in H&B that you could get, they do some nice dried cranberries that mine like as a treat - all sorts of stuff - its a real hamster buffet in there! :D

Bourne Valley Hams
06-17-2008, 03:08 PM
I've not tried linseed either but I do use brewers yeast all the time. It makes lovely marmity porridge!! :lol:

Noodles
06-17-2008, 03:12 PM
Ok will get cranberries as well - there used to be a really good health food shop in Oxford market that sold them and Noodles loved them - will have to see if baby does too. :lol:

Is there any other "health stuff" you get SM&BVH? or just the brewers yeast? (e.g something for Noodles as she gets a little older etc)

I hate going into H&B though - they must think that with all the stuff I buy I should be a LOT healthier!

Ness
06-17-2008, 04:13 PM
I know you have mentioned brewers yeast, but can you feed hamsters marmite? I have a marmite cook book that says you can feed it to petsmixed with veg. I haven't tried it though.

and does anyone know if the cranberries have anything added to them? even ones that often say they are just dried cranberries still have sweetener and stuff?

Bourne Valley Hams
06-18-2008, 01:09 AM
I know you have mentioned brewers yeast, but can you feed hamsters marmite? I have a marmite cook book that says you can feed it to petsmixed with veg. I haven't tried it though.

I don't know - does Marmite have added salt?? Have a look at the ingredients and see. If there is salt added I would say probably not. The yeast powder does smell a lot like marmite though.

Noodles
06-18-2008, 01:20 AM
i have no objectoins noodle i would never report anyone for hijack if the issue is relavent tomy thread however distantly

Oh I didn't mean to imply you would Matty :D It's just 1)the rules are pretty new so I thought it best to at least try not to break them just yet :lol: and 2) you were still discussing your mix so I didn't want to take it off topic whilst that was happening specifically.

I will try to go to H&B before my exam today :? and see what they have. I'm tempted to partially copy your mix and put the linseed with my Harry and then use the yeast as well in my porridge etc.

BTW Marmite does have salt in for sure. So does Bovril. :lol: But I have given Noodles a tiny bit of Bovril on toast before and she did like it!!

Holly
06-18-2008, 01:37 AM
I give mine brown linseeds - they absolutely adore them and I have, I think, noticed coat improvements since I started feeding them (about 4 months ago).

I agree about H&B - it's a hamster smorgasbord! :lol:

Moosley
06-19-2008, 07:22 AM
We tend to use linseed oil now rather than tiny linseeds as they just get lost in the bedding, you can buy bottles of linseed oil for horses and we mix a little in with babyfood or eggfood or more recently we got a huge sack of bran.

We did use Cod Liver Oil for a while and it improved the rats fur no end but not so much the hamsters (and being allergic to fish, the smell of it was sickening!).

We now use Omega Oil (was also sold for horses) and we are having the best effects with this oil.

Linseed is reputable for improving hair and fur, its been used in the horse industry for that pupose for many many years.

Foreverhamsters
06-19-2008, 08:11 AM
linseed oil
where do you get that from, i've been looking for it for ages -_-

Noodles
06-19-2008, 08:14 AM
I just got some brown linseed! How much should I give them in their food? Just a little every day?

The people in the shop obviously thought I was insane because I made them explain the difference between gold and brown and then I stood there for ages thinking about it and then I thought maybe I should get organic so changed again! And then when I said it was for hamsters, they gave me a really funny look!! :lol:

I got brewer yeast too - there is an awful lot of it - I just need to give them a pinch of it though right?

I didnt get the cranberries because there is added sugar. IS that OK if I only give them occassionally or do you buy no sugar ones?

Thanks everyone!

Ness
06-19-2008, 09:15 AM
like I said I have found it very hard to find no added sugar craberries, but will let you know if I do (theres so much I want to make with craberries but can't due to the added stuff).

Moosley
06-20-2008, 05:38 AM
Most Equine Stores sell linseed and linseed oil, omega oil, cod liver oil. The problem is you have to buy about a liter of it LOL

Ness
06-24-2008, 08:08 AM
I got some linseed from the supermarket today (organic) it didn't cost much and they seem to love it. my HH mix is getting interesting too, I also add hemp seeds to the mix as I read hamsters love these and they do but ever since I've started feeding them to them they have silky fur.

babyboos
07-09-2008, 03:04 PM
all great for hamsters and you soon find you buy less hamster mix with so many added bits and pieces for hamsters in H&B
I spend a fortune in there - wish they did Clubcard points!