PDA

View Full Version : cage possession

ipaintpurplerainbows
09-15-2013, 02:22 AM
I got my russian dwarf hamster from P@H adoption centre yesterday. I knew he was aggressive but wanted to give him a home after he had been there for 3months. I was the first one whom he didn't bite in store. Now this morning he was definitely looking for attention so I placed my hand in his cage and he bit me, which was obviously to be expected, but he looked like he wanted to be held. I scooped him up in a little box and he ran around on me happily, letting me stroke, move the hand he was on etc. He even snuggled into the crook of my elbow. I know it's early days but I'm hoping I can continue to hold him. Now... how do I tackle this cage possessiveness (if that's a word)?

racinghamster
09-15-2013, 04:02 AM
Hi. This can be typical behaviour so try not to worry too much. You will probably notice that he`s more happy to be with you once out of his cage? Although some hamsters will still be inclined to nip or bite until they feel settled and secure with you, which can take a while. But little play times like this will help.

Cage aggression is just their instinct to guard their space. I recently took on an older roborovksi male and he has recently started to behave this way. He was moved from a mini duna cage with a wheel that wouldn`t turn (previous owner handed him over like this) to a larger Gabber Rex tank with more accessories. So this move could have triggered his behaviour to change, or he may well have always been like this. I`m not too sure if cage aggression can be turned around quickly or at all. But I`m happy to work around that rather than heighten the tension by forcing the hamster to change. I just don`t feel making them change is needed unless they want to. It`s a battle of wills more than anything, but while some hamsters do mellow, some don`t. So it will be a matter of gently persuasion and patience. x

Oh and congrats for adopting him. x

ipaintpurplerainbows
09-15-2013, 04:14 AM
Hi. This can be typical behaviour so try not to worry too much. You will probably notice that he`s more happy to be with you once out of his cage? Although some hamsters will still be inclined to nip or bite until they feel settled and secure with you, which can take a while. But little play times like this will help.

Cage aggression is just their instinct to guard their space. I recently took on an older roborovksi male and he has recently started to behave this way. He was moved from a mini duna cage with a wheel that wouldn`t turn (previous owner handed him over like this) to a larger Gabber Rex tank with more accessories. So this move could have triggered his behaviour to change, or he may well have always been like this. I`m not too sure if cage aggression can be turned around quickly or at all. But I`m happy to work around that rather than heighten the tension by forcing the hamster to change. I just don`t feel making them change is needed unless they want to. It`s a battle of wills more than anything, but while some hamsters do mellow, some don`t. So it will be a matter of gently persuasion and patience. x

Oh and congrats for adopting him. x

Thanks, if he continues to bite I will still work with him and give him everything he needs. He is the sweetest little thing outside of his cage. I knew he was aggressive when I got him and he has a home now for life so whatever happens, he'll always be safe and warm with a full tummy.

racinghamster
09-15-2013, 06:07 AM
That`s a great attitude and outlook to have. Not many people would understand that biting hamsters don`t hate them or have an attitude problem. Hamsters bite for reasons only they know and all we can do is try to work with them on their terms. Little and often. As I mentioned earlier, I have recently taken in a wee older male roborovski from Gumtree and within a few days of moving him from a small duna cage to a larger cage with accessories, he has changed from what seemed to be a gentle, friendly wee soul to one that seems very alert and possessive if I place my hand inside his domain! So it seems they can change behaviours overnight just because their environment has changed or their routine has suddenly changed.

Good on you though for giving him a good home as well as an understanding one. x

ipaintpurplerainbows
09-16-2013, 08:24 AM
That`s a great attitude and outlook to have. Not many people would understand that biting hamsters don`t hate them or have an attitude problem. Hamsters bite for reasons only they know and all we can do is try to work with them on their terms. Little and often. As I mentioned earlier, I have recently taken in a wee older male roborovski from Gumtree and within a few days of moving him from a small duna cage to a larger cage with accessories, he has changed from what seemed to be a gentle, friendly wee soul to one that seems very alert and possessive if I place my hand inside his domain! So it seems they can change behaviours overnight just because their environment has changed or their routine has suddenly changed.

Good on you though for giving him a good home as well as an understanding one. x

Thank you :)

DrKMcK
09-16-2013, 01:36 PM
My two dwarfs are very cage aggressive. Even if I try to give them treats, they run up to try to bite and they slap my hands away. I started using heavy suede work gloves to get them out of the cage and it worked. They did try to bite the glove, but once I got them out of the cage, they were great. If I have to pick them up I use the glove, but otherwise, I can pet them, they walk over me and we have a great time. Even if I have to use the glove for the rest of their lives, that's fine with me. Better that than they don't get to come out any play with me! But, really, think about it. If you were that little, how threatening is it to have this gigantic hand come into your safe space? I'd bite too! :-D