PDA

View Full Version : Teeth Chattering

arikata
06-12-2008, 06:42 PM
My new Syrian Harvey (name will probably change) is fantastic. He doesn't bite, squeal or run like a madman. However he keeps chattering his teeth. Does this mean that he is scared? He shows no other signs of being so :?

Spacemonkey
06-13-2008, 04:41 AM
Can he smell other males around him? Mine do that when they can smell a rival, its a boy thing :lol:

arikata
06-13-2008, 08:15 AM
Can he smell other males around him? Mine do that when they can smell a rival, its a boy thing :lol:

Got some male dwarfs! Glad he's not scared :D

souffle
06-14-2008, 03:43 PM
We find they chatter when they don't like something. They may not want to be picked up, be nervous of a hand coming in, smell something odd they are not sure about and indeed smell another male. The syrians don't recognise the dwarfs as another male of their own species but may well be wary of the scent of them. I would always take care when touching a hamster who is chattering as they are on the defensive so go gently. Even though he is doing really well he is very new and everything will be strange to him just now. :D

arikata
06-14-2008, 07:10 PM
We find they chatter when they don't like something. They may not want to be picked up, be nervous of a hand coming in, smell something odd they are not sure about and indeed smell another male. The syrians don't recognise the dwarfs as another male of their own species but may well be wary of the scent of them. I would always take care when touching a hamster who is chattering as they are on the defensive so go gently. Even though he is doing really well he is very new and everything will be strange to him just now. :D

I've been handling him regualy but not for very long. Thanks for your help!x