PDA

View Full Version : I did it!! Meet Toffee & Almond!

DrKMcK
08-13-2013, 03:41 PM
OMG. This has been the best day ever!!! And the saddest day too!! First I got the Remy Rodent Hats from Amethyst Ice and they are great! I cannot wait to try them on the hammies. Photo below...Yay! Then, I was getting crazy over the hammies on the site today and Rosebud's hammies just were the last straw! I went to the rescue this afternoon. So, before the happy part of my story, there were...No grey's and the only females made me nearly burst into tears. They were dropped off at the rescue like this. I was furious! There were two adult white females and 4 beige females. There were also 4 litters of babies one white litter looked about 2 weeks old, the other white litter about 4 weeks old. There was a litter of beige babies looking about 1 - 1/2 weeks old too. And THEN! there was a brand new just born litter right in the open. I freaked and started yelling at the staff. The mother of the new litter tried to attack me as soon as I opened the cage ( I hadn't seen the babies yet). Once I saw the babies I backed off. The older babies were mauling the smaller ones and the mothers were fighting too. This was all taking place in a ten gallon tank! The staff are going to try to separate everyone once they figure out which mom belongs to which baby. I will be talking to the owner of the rescue for sure. I donate to them every year, twice a year. We'll see.
So, I was left with a pair of boys in a separate tank, curled up together. Light cream with, I think, red eyes. When it's a rescue, you don't get the choices. But that's okay because these two are just adorable. I have no idea what they are, other than dwarfs, but I know they are young. They both have come up to my hand and didn't run away and they both like Yoda, my Chihuahua! He, of course, thinks they are great :-D So...drum roll please...Meet: Toffee & Almond :-D

icklemunch
08-13-2013, 03:51 PM
Oh my goodness me that is horrendous! And they are supposed to be a rescue?? Poor babies :( Must of been awful to see.

On a better note, Congratulations on your new fur babies. Lucky little boys. Very cute. Looking forward to lots of updates and pics.

PS it was only like an hour ago i read your last post about wanting dwarfs haha.

DrKMcK
08-13-2013, 03:51 PM
Just to add some new photos LOL. Also, I will post a video as soon as can get it on youtube.
The boys are thrilled with the amount of substrate and I can't wait to catch one of them with my camera tunneling out of it. They are so excited with their big new home. I love them already. I may never sleep again LOL.

kimlck
08-13-2013, 05:02 PM
Hiya Toffee & Almond!
Gorgeous boys, congrats on the new additions to your fur family :)

gutterglitterxx
08-13-2013, 05:22 PM
Hi boys! You guys are sooooo adorable!

Congrats on the new additions. I'm sure they will be a blast. :D

Kiki_3173
08-13-2013, 06:00 PM
Oh DrKMcK...they are so cute!! Welcome to the world of dwarfies;-) Comgrats!

Hi there cutie patooties!! :-)

Bailey
08-13-2013, 06:08 PM
They are beautiful argente boys! Congrats! I have a pair of twin albino Campbell boys and they are best of friends.

WendyAnne
08-13-2013, 06:19 PM
Hello to Toffee & Almond, and congrats to you! They are beautiful and adorable!

DrKMcK
08-13-2013, 06:54 PM
Ah Bailey. I was going to ask what they were. I love the champagne color. I think they have red eyes too. They are loving the new home. I have new videos of them. Also, Toffee went to bed but Almond stayed up. I got some shots of him alone.

Toffee and Almond home for good:
Toffe & Almond home for good 8 14 2013 - YouTube (http://youtu.be/6AWEvNTPmQ0)

Almond learning to climb down
Almond learning to climb down 8 14 2013 - YouTube (http://youtu.be/1J5Y8s0mx74)

Toffe & Almond on wheels
Toffe & Almond on wheels 8 14 2013 - YouTube (http://youtu.be/B-O3yV7TJvc)

LOL The last still photo is Toffee, not Almond. Toffee's bigger. :-D

Biscotti
08-13-2013, 07:05 PM
Congrats on your new additions, they are absolutely adorable! :) I really love their names too, almost named one of my new boys Toffee also. :D

And YIKES! about the rescue litters, sounds like a bad situation and I hope they get mums and the litters sorted soon.

DrKMcK
08-13-2013, 07:10 PM
The poor litters with the mothers were dropped off at the rescue all together in the one tank. It wasn't the rescue's fault. I so wanted to take some of the older white babies but they weren't old enough yet. I couldn't take an adult because we didn't know who was a mother. You couldn't get your hand in the tank because of adults lunging to bite. At least my boys are safe. I wanted girls but, life happens :-)

Bailey
08-13-2013, 10:39 PM
I love the videos! I need to start doing this.

Honestly, I think you may like males even better (nothing against female hamsters; I have three). In my experience, the male Campbell's are sometimes calmer and less protective of their homes than females, (especially nursing females, as you observed today). Also, I think you may have a father/son pair or a big brother/little brother, from the looks of it. Since they are likely close relatives, hopefully they will always get along. :-) Mine are inseparable.

racinghamster
08-14-2013, 12:45 AM
I`m very jealous, you have two little beauties there and they look so laid back! I could hear the excitement in your voice during the wheel video! Aren`t they great?!! :) I love dwarf hamsters. I prefer males myself, I just find them friendlier. Hope the rescue manage all the babies they have okay. x

moonlite
08-14-2013, 01:20 AM
congrats on adopting two cuties...

Axeria
08-14-2013, 02:05 AM
Awww! they are absolutley adorable! Love their color, they are stunning! Congrats on your new boys :D I hope they wil bring you lots of joy! <3

The rescue shelter sounds like they could need a schooling in hamster care ;)

Gazmo
08-14-2013, 02:10 AM
they are gorgeous, but they pet shop sounds horrific! well done for shouting at the staff!

RachK
08-14-2013, 06:36 AM
Awww they are both gorgeous! Congrats! :) They both look like red-eyed Argente's to me?

Syrian Hammy
08-14-2013, 06:55 AM
They are adorable. I'm glad they've found a forever home.

jesselle
08-14-2013, 08:22 AM
Well they're just beautiful!! :)

Biscuit
08-14-2013, 09:17 AM
Sorry to hear about the litters at the rescue. Hope they were okay.

But on a better note, congratulations on your two new hammies! They are absolutely adorable!!! :D x

DrKMcK
08-14-2013, 10:21 AM
Thank you for all the lovely comments on my new babies. I was up on and off most of the night watching them. :-D

Rosebud
08-14-2013, 10:30 AM
What beautiful colours. they're lovely :-)

littlescruffies
08-14-2013, 01:58 PM
They're gorgeous :)
Hope your enjoy your new additions!

DrKMcK
08-17-2013, 01:55 PM
Toffee and Almond have been settling in nicely. There have been a few squabbles, but all noise, no biting. Almond annoys Toffe and Toffee makes him stop. I check on them and most times they are curled up together. Almond tends to be awake at times during the day more than Toffee is. I am watching them closely to see if the big house that is also a shelf might be a problem. Almond tends to perch up there. I HAVE been able to pick up Toffee, who is the more laid back hammy. Almond is a bit more of a zippy little thing. Slow steps, just like with Ted E. :-)

racinghamster
08-17-2013, 11:51 PM
Hi DrKMcK. Sometimes removing any accessories they can use as a perch helps if any little squabbles are starting. If they were previously in a smaller environment with less enrichment, they might see this new environment as something to argue over, so if the squeaking continues over certain things, maybe remove that one object and see if it settles things again. x

Nikkigrace
08-18-2013, 01:42 AM
They are lovely :) so sweet and lovely colour! If you think the house might be causing even a minor issue, remove it before things get worse would be my opinion. They will be absolutely fine with a very simple set up while they settle in and establish who is 'boss'...other things like more toys and a level can be added later down the line. This will help try and keep them together peacefully and happy.

DrKMcK
08-18-2013, 03:31 PM
Hi DrKMcK. Sometimes removing any accessories they can use as a perch helps if any little squabbles are starting. If they were previously in a smaller environment with less enrichment, they might see this new environment as something to argue over, so if the squeaking continues over certain things, maybe remove that one object and see if it settles things again. x

I kind of thought so. Not only that, I'm not so keen on not being able to see what's going on under that huge wooden structure. Thanks RH. :-D :D

DrKMcK
08-18-2013, 03:34 PM
They are lovely :) so sweet and lovely colour! If you think the house might be causing even a minor issue, remove it before things get worse would be my opinion. They will be absolutely fine with a very simple set up while they settle in and establish who is 'boss'...other things like more toys and a level can be added later down the line. This will help try and keep them together peacefully and happy.

Those of you with dwarfs know way more than I do and I knew you guys would know which way I should go. I'm so used to the Syrians who live alone. As I said to racing hamster, I'm moving the house. Almond, the little one, believe it or not, seems to be taking possession of the top of it. Nip this in the bud! Thanks NikkiGrace :-D