PDA

View Full Version : Khaleesi

khaleesi
08-12-2013, 08:42 AM
Hello Hammy Central,

This weekend I provided a 'forever home' to little Khaleesi. She is my first Russian Dwarf, and I suppose first hamster of my own - although I have been acquainted with a couple of Syrians as a kid.

I do have a couple of questions to those in the know.

Is she an Argente Campbell?

How much should such a little hammy eat a day? Khaleesi seems to have only nibbled a couple of pellets (and devoured a few sunflower seeds) since her arrival.

Also... I was told to buy this Hamster food called 'Fab Hamster Feast'. It looks really yummy, possibly good enough for humans - but it contains quite a bit of fruit, including Pineapple - and I was under the impression that citrus fruit was a no no.

Kind Regards.

Gizmoandfriends
08-13-2013, 02:33 AM
Can't help with your Q's as I dont know much about little hamsters, only about syrians lol, but cute!!!

Munchalot
08-13-2013, 03:19 AM
I love the Game of Thrones theme. Those books certainly do make an impression. :mad:
She is a beautiful little hamster. :D

Unless you bought her from a NHC registered breeder, I wouldn't count on her being any kind of Campbell - but a hybrid. I'm not sure about her colour as I've never had anything to do with such colours, as her colour at least has Campbell influence. :)

I'm unfamiliar with that food, but if it has quite a lot of fruit I would consider changing to a different mix. Campbells, and especially hybrids, are very prone to diabetes, which must be taken into consideration when picking a food. A good, wholesome low-sugar diet is the best way to avoid diabetes, so I would recommend something like Harry Hamster. Or, if you want to go sugar free and don't mind a pure pellet/biscuit mix, Supreme Science Selective Hamster. :)

Hamsters don't tend to eat much in their first few days home. Once she's fully settled in, is happy and familiar with how things are, she should start eating more. They normally don't eat more than a pinch a day. You may see them filling their pouches with everything you give them, but they won't eat it all in one day. They forage at night and store it, and wake every few hours through the day to have a nibble from their cache. For this reason, the best time to feed would be in the evening when they are active and looking for food. :)

Gazmo
08-13-2013, 03:22 AM
food wise, you should prob ab;y switch her to something with less fruit, I don't know a bout Russians but I know most dwarfs are prone to diabetes

But she is just gorgeous!

Axeria
08-13-2013, 03:34 AM
Love the name! And her adorable color and face :D She is a true Khaleesi :D

racinghamster
08-13-2013, 04:04 AM
Hi. If you can get Burgess Supahamster Harvest (the Syrian version) she will be fine on that. It does contain banana pieces, but these are easily seen and removed from the mix. Burgess also do a dwarf version of this mix, which is fine as well. You could even mix the two as the dwarf version contains Canary seed millet mix, or you can also buy a bag of Canary mix from any good pet shop and just add it all to the Hamster mix. :)

If she originated from a pet shop, then she is a Hybrid Russian dwarf, which basically means she`s a mix of the winter white and campbells species. They can be prone to diabetes, which is why their diet needs to be sugar, honey, syrup and molasses free. The mixes I mentioned are safe, apart from the banana pieces! She can have small pieces of raw vegetables like cucumber, broccoli and even a small fingernail piece of carrot might be enjoyed as a treat.

Khaleesi is beautiful and no doubt she will give you hours of fun! :)

littlescruffies
08-14-2013, 02:11 PM
Aww, she is so cute :)

DrKMcK
08-14-2013, 02:20 PM
She looks just like my new dwarf hammies, Toffee & Almond. I've been told mine are Argente. I'm pretty sure, after reading all the info on HC, that my guys are also hybrids. All I know for sure is that they are beautiful and I'm in love with them already. :-D Khaleesi is probably also a hybrid. I just adore the photo of her standing up like that; just melted me completely. :-D