PDA

View Full Version : Bands for shows

Bunsey
06-08-2008, 12:23 PM
no, i don't wana hire a band for a show. i know i wanted a buffet for mine but a band is a bit far :lol:

anyway, i saw this picture ad it gave me Qs about showing bands.

http://www.pets-classifieds.co.uk/image/51457.jpg
http://www.pets-classifieds.co.uk/image/51457.jpg

This to me looks a really good band. am i right?

When it comes to the band judging, how much weight is on the band compared to other stuff like type etc. Say you had 2 hams. one has perfect band and is a pet shop ham or something and one has a rubbishy band but is of BIS quality for type etc. Which one would score higher?

Bourne Valley Hams
06-08-2008, 01:16 PM
Not especially. This band is a little too wide - there should be a third colour, a third band, then a third colour. The band should not have any colour in it at all - this one has colour almost all the way through the centre.

When it comes to the band judging, how much weight is on the band compared to other stuff like type etc. Say you had 2 hams. one has perfect band and is a pet shop ham or something and one has a rubbishy band but is of BIS quality for type etc. Which one would score higher?

30 of the 100 points are for colour and markings. For a banded hamster therefore 15 of the 30 are for colour and 15 for the band. So a perfect band could account for 15 marks out of 100 maximum.....in theory!!
I will try and take a picture of Zubrovka (my Pernod & Grappa baby) in the next day or two - her band is pretty good!!

souffle
06-08-2008, 01:18 PM
They are marked separately Bunsey. For the colour / patterned part 15 points would go to the colour and 15 points to the pattern so a good band might get 14 for the band but only maybe 8 for the colour if it was not great. Not a bad score really however when the judge got to the type part one hamster might score very low for the the type against a breeder hamster of excellent type. After the other factors have been added in you can see that the band, even if it is excellent plays a fairly minor part in the overall score.

Spuds Mum
06-08-2008, 01:24 PM
Not especially. This band is a little too wide - there should be a third colour, a third band, then a third colour. The band should not have any colour in it at all - this one has colour almost all the way through the centre.

30 of the 100 points are for colour and markings. For a banded hamster therefore 15 of the 30 are for colour and 15 for the band. So a perfect band could account for 15 marks out of 100 maximum.....in theory!!
I will try and take a picture of Zubrovka (my Pernod & Grappa baby) in the next day or two - her band is pretty good!!

Oh yes please - the last time we saw her she was only about 3 weeks old - it is that one right, when you introduced the 3 litters - at the same time as the rex litter?? :D I would dearly love to see her again!

Bunsey
06-08-2008, 01:29 PM
right i think i get it. Your better with the lesser band on an excellent type then. I would love to see pics of good bands. I was just thinking it was good cos it was a fairly straight line.

Matty Day
06-08-2008, 01:38 PM
just out of intrest what are harder to show banded or roans?

bndeds look hard to show im glad i dont like them as they look hard to show

Bunsey
06-08-2008, 01:41 PM
just out of intrest what are harder to show banded or roans?

bndeds look hard to show im glad i dont like them as they look hard to show

i think they're both pretty hard. i've never seen a patterned win BIS at a show i was at.

i LOVE bandeds! i'd love to breed them, but the randomness does put me off as they might not sell if people can't show them.

Bourne Valley Hams
06-08-2008, 02:06 PM
I have had BIS with both sable roan and cream roan and also with a cream banded. Never won a show with a dom spot though. The last hamster I had that had a very good band and good type etc consistently did very well at show, always coming near the top of the show. Well, I still have her actually but she's long retired now!!

Bourne Valley Hams
06-08-2008, 02:08 PM
i LOVE bandeds! i'd love to breed them, but the randomness does put me off as they might not sell if people can't show them.

Never a problem - people wanting a pet will almost always pick a banded, however bad the band, if there is a choice.

Matty Day
06-08-2008, 02:32 PM

Never a problem - people wanting a pet will almost always pick a banded, however bad the band, if there is a choice.

do you find roans are popular?

Bourne Valley Hams
06-08-2008, 02:39 PM
Roans are popular too. This weekend I had three youngsters come to choose hamsters (not all together). I had roans, bands and plains available. One chose a banded, one a roan and the third a plain cream - so I guess thats about even!!

Bunsey
06-08-2008, 04:33 PM
cool, that's good then. i have saved on my computer a pic of one of your sable roans entitled "show winning roan" so i can study it :lol: i'll attach it...

I think with the not selling thing, i was thinking that i would rather (much rather) sell hams to people on here than random public members and people on here would usually want a show ham. We'll see anyway. My first litter won't be banded. If i get really upset at selling them, i'll just have to not breed again. this one will be a test of my emotional stability i guess :lol:

p.s. how is Bunsey's band? (avatar and sig) out of curiosity.

Bourne Valley Hams
06-09-2008, 12:50 PM
As promised, here is Zubrovka - all growed up, well nearly growed up!!
Not a perfect band, and a little too wide, but pretty damned good!! :D
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/harriscarter/zubrovka.jpg

Louby
06-09-2008, 01:03 PM
Awww!!! What a beauty BVH!

Grappa (Bob) says hello to his little girl! :D

Spuds Mum
06-09-2008, 01:06 PM
I'm not even into bands and I would have had her off you when I saw that litter Sue! Mind you, I felt that about most of the pups you showed off! :D

My pet shop ham Manny has a nice band (slightly narrow I think and with a slight bleeding into the band at one point) and he has a lovely face too, but thats the only nice thing (in a show sense) about him...

Here he is - and as you will see - he is a long haired ham on a wheel - the thing is we bought him at 6 weeks we were told, and he hasnt grown at all since then! Bless.

http://www.madabouthamsters.com/our_hamsters/manny/main/hamster_002.jpg

http://www.madabouthamsters.com/our_hamsters/manny/main/hamster_005.jpg

Oh and yup - I know I should have resized the photos - I just dont have the will!! :(

Bunsey
06-10-2008, 07:41 AM
click and save as excellent band example :lol:

I don't get why people aren't into bands! i love them love them love them! :D

agatecrystal
06-15-2008, 09:10 AM

I really like them too I have bands in the litter I have at the moment and due to have them In The Binxybons!

Matty Day
06-15-2008, 09:28 AM

i dont like them as a unbanded self colour or an agouti dom spot/roan etc appears more natural to my eyes bandeds just have to clean lines (well a good one)if you know what i mean :wink:

Bunsey
06-15-2008, 01:43 PM

i dont like them as a unbanded self colour or an agouti dom spot/roan etc appears more natural to my eyes bandeds just have to clean lines (well a good one)if you know what i mean :wink:

yes, i totally understand that. I prefer the rubbishy bands by far. The perfect bands can look a bit odd, like someone painted them on!