PDA

View Full Version : Fuming!!

pinkneon
07-21-2013, 10:23 AM
As you know I've been in hospital. I'm still here and we're 5 months later! Anyway, one of the girls who lives at the place I used to live has been taking care of Duck for me. I've just discovered she's gone to France for a week and apparently the staff at the hostel will feed him, though I'm going to ring to check. BUT she decided to tell me she bought him a smaller cage and has put the Alexander cage stored somewhere. Last time I had this discussion with her it was agreed that there was no point in her storing the Alexander and she agreed to keep him in the Alexander.
I don't know what cage it is but apparently the staff at the hostel said the new cage was "ok because it's big enough". I told her I wanted Duck to stay in his cage but now she's saying that he is her hamster - which he's not. I had said that when I came out of hospital I would see how long he'd been with her and if he was really settled then I'd consider letting her keep him, so she's just said that I said she could have him ...
I've phones the hostel where I used to live, and where she lives but there is a new member of staff there tonight so she can't help me, but I am seriously considering finding him somewhere else to go ...
Wow, now she just literally sent me a message to say that he's "been with her 5 months so he must be settled" ... Argh!!!

Gazmo
07-21-2013, 10:30 AM
get him back, just find someone else, ask the vets, or a famillily member and explain how desperate you are. she had no right to do that, you gave her the responsibility to look after him and she ignored everything you said and then left on top of that, that is out of order

racinghamster
07-21-2013, 10:34 AM
pinkneaon, I don`t know your private situation, but unless you have given written consent to rehome Duck, a verbal agreement can swing either way. She should never have switched Duck`s cage without discussing this with you (his rightful owner). But if you need to leave your hamster with someone you thought was trustworthy, she has broken that agreement.

If you are not near the place you live or can`t get someone to attend on your behalf, then Duck will probably have to stay there until arrangements can be made to collect him, or for someone to make sure he IS being cared for and not just left alone.

Hope you manage to clarify with the other person that you still own Duck and she was merely his caretaker until told otherwise. saying you `might` hand him over is not saying you have. x

Gazmo
07-21-2013, 10:35 AM
where abouts are you? I could help find someone

pinkneon
07-21-2013, 10:37 AM
I get what you mean. It was a discussion we had ages ago because I wanted what wouldbe less stressful for Duck, but to be honest I have been trying to find someone else to take him for ages because I don't like the "care" she gives him ...
And I can't have him back at the moment because I am still in hospital. The agreement has always been that I'd get him back when I get discharged and have somewhere to live

pinkneon
07-21-2013, 10:40 AM
Gazmo I'm in Brighton

Gazmo
07-21-2013, 10:43 AM
is that near devon or not? ill have a look

pinkneon
The biggest problem is I have no idea how much longer I will be here for. I was only supposed to be here a couple of weeks at most, but I have now been here for 5 months! I am ready for discharge, but they can't discharge me to nowhere which is why I'm still here :( (which in some ways is good because if I'd been at home I don't think the doctor would have done such thorough blood tests and so the new things they found - like anemia and under active thyroid - would not have been detected)

racinghamster
It`s not an easy position for you to be in Pinkneon but you were relying on this person to care for Duck, not to switch his cage or tell you they are `keeping him`. How about asking if a forum member living near to you could foster Duck until you are settled? Might be a better option for you and for Duck rather than relying on Hostel staff or so called friends. If you managed to find someone willing to help, they could call at the place she lives and with your permission, collect Duck and get him away from her legally before she plays any more mind games with you. If you are in hospital for a length of time, it`s not fair to treat you like this. very unfair.

pinkneon
07-21-2013, 10:44 AM
is that near devon or not? ill have a look

Errrm ... No idea!

Gazmo
07-21-2013, 10:46 AM
I have a thyroid problem too! overactive though, I hope you get better, also I found this
Pets Holiday Shack, Pet Services, Brighton | Wix.com (http://petsholidayshack.wix.com/1)

pinkneon
07-21-2013, 10:47 AM
It`s not an easy position for you to be in Pinkneon but you were relying on this person to care for Duck, not to switch his cage or tell you they are `keeping him`. How about asking if a forum member living near to you could foster Duck until you are settled? Might be a better option for you and for Duck rather than relying on Hostel staff or so called friends. f you managed to find someone willing to help, they could call at the plac she lives and with your permission, collect Duck and get him away from her legally before she plays any more mind games with you. If you are in hospital for a length of time, it`s not fair to treat you like this. very unfair.

Yeah. I've asked around but some people won't take him because we have no idea how long it would be for ... I was never actually given the choice if I wanted her to take care of Duck or not - the staff at the hostel said that the new girl (which she was at that time) volunteered with the RSPCA and wanted a hamster of her own one day and so looking after Duck would be a good experience!

pinkneon
07-21-2013, 10:49 AM
Thanks, I'll check them out

Amethyst_ice
07-21-2013, 10:52 AM
Most pet sitting services like that tend to be for a week or so, not as long term solutions :(

x

racinghamster
07-21-2013, 10:57 AM
It`s a rotten situation to be in and I hope someone can help. If not, then this person will either have to do, or the staff themselves. She was a volunteer at the RSPCA? Then she would and should know that a Syrian needs the size of cage he was in and not the one she`s seen fit to swap him into. She may have her own reasons for doing so, but she should have consulted you before doing it.

pinkneon
07-21-2013, 11:02 AM
A few months ago she mentioned she wanted to get a smaller cage, and I asked why. She told me that the Alexander took up too much space in her room. I pointed out that storing it would take up room. Anyway, she agreed then not to change him to a different cage, and now she's done it without even giving me a reason. She's back from France next Sunday so I need to arrange for him to go somewhere by then

icklemunch
07-21-2013, 11:07 AM
Would it help to advertise on the rescue and adoptions page on here? That way more peopke are likey to see and maybe able to help.

pinkneon
07-21-2013, 11:10 AM
I don't know ... I thought that was for just rescue hammies? I've looked on here but there is no one near enough to me :(

HorseyMandz
07-21-2013, 11:13 AM
Pinkneon, it's not just for rescue hamsters... it's for any hamster that needs rehoming. If you clearly stated the temporary nature of the arrangement, I'm sure there would be someone willing to come forwards.

evel_lin
07-21-2013, 11:18 AM
I think unless you can arrange for Duck to go somewhere else there isn't really much you can do until you're out of hospital. It sucks both for you and Duck :( Fingers crossed they find you somewhere to live soon

pinkneon
07-21-2013, 11:19 AM
HorseyMandz the adoption and rescue forum says you can only post ads for hamsters that have been rescused or need adoption - Duck only needs fostering

kyrilliondaemon
07-21-2013, 11:20 AM
Would you be able to leave hospital for the day, collect him yourself and travel to help get him to someone else?
I think having to collect him from the hostel might put some people off given the situation with this other girl. And if you travel you can get him to more people

pinkneon
07-21-2013, 11:23 AM
I'm not allowed to leave the hospital. But the girl is on holiday and if someone did pick him up from there the staff would let them in - obviously they'd need notice first! If I could leave the hospital I would, but at the moment I'm not allowed ...

Kirsty1987
07-21-2013, 11:24 AM
I wonder if these people will help not sure if they will but worth a try Who Is Eligible for Foster My Pet's Services (http://www.fostermypet.org/eligibility.html) If i lived a bit closer i would help out

squishyhammy
07-21-2013, 11:28 AM
you could write up an agreement stating he needs to be in the alexander and he isnt hers unless circumstances change. annd that it isnt her decision also other ruless on care if she doesnt abide then you will find somewhere else for Duck?

pinkneon
07-21-2013, 11:38 AM
I wonder if these people will help not sure if they will but worth a try Who Is Eligible for Foster My Pet's Services (http://www.fostermypet.org/eligibility.html) If i lived a bit closer i would help out

I just looked at their site and they're in the USA! :D

pinkneon
07-21-2013, 11:40 AM
you could write up an agreement stating he needs to be in the alexander and he isnt hers unless circumstances change. annd that it isnt her decision also other ruless on care if she doesnt abide then you will find somewhere else for Duck?

I was thinking of doing that but even if she signed it there'd be no way I'd know if she was sticking to it ...

Kirsty1987
07-21-2013, 11:47 AM
Oh dear sorry haha i didn't check where it was i will look out for a uk pet fostering service near you :)

Kirsty1987
07-21-2013, 11:51 AM
Ok here we go this may be more helpful lol Fostering Circle - Supporting Pets in Crisis - Wood Green, The Animals Charity (http://www.woodgreen.org.uk/what_we_do/supporting_pet_owners/fostering_circle)

pinkneon
07-21-2013, 11:53 AM
Thanks, but they only take dogs and cats, and for short stays only

pinkneon
07-21-2013, 11:56 AM
This sounds like an odd question, but do the RSPCA foster?

Gazmo
07-21-2013, 11:58 AM
the rspca should, why don't you ask?

pinkneon
07-21-2013, 12:09 PM
Just emailed to ask :D

Gazmo
07-21-2013, 12:10 PM
oh good, I really hope you can get duck away from this girl

Char
07-21-2013, 01:40 PM
Hope you find someone

Char
07-21-2013, 01:52 PM
What are you looking for? Are you just wanting someone to look after him until you come out?

A_Couple_In_Love
07-21-2013, 03:19 PM
Hope someone can help you out, it's not right what that girls doing. My fingers are crossed for you :)

Gazmo
07-22-2013, 12:08 AM
hows it going?

Char
07-23-2013, 12:57 AM
What are you exactly looking for? Are you just wanting someone to look after him until you out?

pinkneon
07-23-2013, 02:24 AM
What are you exactly looking for? Are you just wanting someone to look after him until you out?

Yes. But I don't yet know when I'll be out of hospital so whoever takes him woukd need to understand that there is no knowing at the koment how long it would be for

September
07-23-2013, 02:27 AM
Good luck pinkneon, I really hope you find someone! xxx

Gizmoandfriends
07-23-2013, 02:31 AM
Hope you find someone, i would have done but brightons 2 1/2 hours from ipswich where i live :( if i had the money for my petrol i would but right now wages dont go far at all <3

Char
07-23-2013, 02:35 AM
What else are you looking for, in this person to look after Duck?

Knotty
07-23-2013, 02:49 AM
I would be willing to take duck but it's two and a half hours away and that's 30 in petrol...:(

squishyhammy
07-23-2013, 03:30 AM
if i lived closer iwoud definately help out as much as i could. id look after him even ifyoure in hospital for ages bbut ilive in london i cant drive and idont wana stress him out with a lonng journey

flakeyflake
07-23-2013, 04:48 AM
Hi Pinkneon, im in London and could easily look after Duck

pinkneon
07-24-2013, 11:54 AM
* UPDATE * I have sorted him out with a foster family :D He will be going there on Sunday, and I am pretty sure he's gonna be so spoilt that he'll not want to come home again!

icklemunch
07-24-2013, 11:56 AM
Great news :)

evel_lin
07-24-2013, 11:57 AM
aw great news! Hopefully it won't be too long before you're out of hospital and able to look after him yourself again :)

Char
07-24-2013, 01:13 PM
So pleased for you that's really good news. Hope you come out soon

kimlck
07-24-2013, 01:35 PM
Thats good news for you Pinkneon and its excellent news for Duck, now you can stop worring and concentrate on yourself.
X :)

LancashireLass
07-24-2013, 02:17 PM
Hi Pickneon, I'm so sorry to hear about the fact your in hospital and i hope you get well soon, I am also sorry to hear about the inconsiderate person who has been looking after Duck, I wish I lived near you, unfortunately I live in Bolton in Lancashire, and its a long way from Brighton, I would have responsibly looked after Duck for you, I wish I could help, my advise to you is in some areas you get people who look after hamsters while your away maybe you could search for someone in Brighton who is willing to help.

Good Luck Hun and please keep us updated xxxxxx

Janie

LancashireLass
07-24-2013, 02:19 PM
Hi I've just read previous messages and it looks like you have found someone, I'm so pleased for you.xxx

DrKMcK
07-24-2013, 08:48 PM
It's really wonderful that you were able to find a foster for Duck, Pinkneon. It's been very frustrating for you since there really wasn't that much you could do about the problem. I know there were a lot of people who would have helped if they could have. Those of us who live in the USA could only look on hoping that someone could come forward to foster your little guy. Now you can focus on your health and your housing situation knowing that Duck is truly safe. I hope they find housing for you soon. You and Duck need to be together again.

racinghamster
07-25-2013, 01:06 AM
That`s really good news pinkneon for you and for Duck. x

September
07-25-2013, 01:54 AM
Fantastic news pinkneon, I'm happy for you and Duck :)

Gizmoandfriends
07-25-2013, 07:39 AM
Wahhooo!!!! Thats brilliant!

Gazmo
07-25-2013, 07:41 AM
oh im so glad :)

Axeria
07-25-2013, 07:50 AM
Yay! Thats excelent news! :D And I am horrified about the way that girl treated you, some people just cant behave....

Gazmo
07-25-2013, 08:43 AM
me too, its horrible

pinkneon
07-25-2013, 09:50 AM
Well, all I'll say for now is Duck's new Foster Mother is a member on here ... All will be revealed once Duck has settled in and she will be updating Duck's thread, so keep your eyes peeled!
I am incredibly greatful to her, and am looking forward to seeing Duck's progress with her. I think he'll be so spoilt that he'll want to stay there lol!! He is such a lucky boy :) The other girl sent me angry message and said I can't do this, but I said I can and will. Because I'm not totally sure what toys Duck has left I'm in the process of ordering him some nice new things which I know he'll love!

racinghamster
07-25-2013, 10:00 AM
That`s the power of HC pinky! ;) You have friends on here who can and will step in where they can and forums can be wonderful, helpful resources when you find yourself in a situation like this. The language of this other person is unacceptable and the sooner Duck is away from her, the better. Looking forward to hearing how Duck is doing. :) Hope you are keeping well. x

pinkneon
07-25-2013, 10:08 AM
The other girl went on holiday for a week ... I dread to think what would have happened if the staff at the hostel said they wouldn't feed him ... Poor baby. But he's gonna be a lot happier very soon :D

fluffydd
07-25-2013, 10:11 AM
I'm so pleased that you've found a lovely foster home for Duck. It will be lovely to be getting updates about him again

pinkneon
07-25-2013, 10:16 AM
Thanks everyone for all your support and offers of help. I think my next big mission is to learn to drive so if anything like this happened again I'll have transport ... Though living in the middle of a city where most of the roads are one way and you have to always go the back roads it seems pointless learning to drive - especially as I have a bus pass which means the buses are free ...

Char
07-25-2013, 12:09 PM
What toys did you buy him? Glad you found someone to look after him.

Knotty
07-25-2013, 01:08 PM
Very glad you found someone to take care of duck. You clearly care so much for him, and he will be so well looked after!!

It must be hard for you not to see him, but at least you will be able to see pictures and updates of duck :)

ANGELBABIES
07-25-2013, 01:52 PM
Hope little Duck is picked up before this girl returns from her holidays. Glad this has been sorted. Now we need to concentrate with positive thoughts and vibes that you get well soon Pinkneon and get to leave the hospital soon, and that you find a home soon. Hugs xxx

Truffle
07-26-2013, 10:56 AM
Hope that you are out of hospital soon... I have been in for six months at a time as well, really not fun.

Gazmo
07-26-2013, 11:12 AM
im glad you found someone! you should get them to smuggle duck into the hospital ;)

flakeyflake
07-28-2013, 02:28 PM
Hi

Duck has settled in really well, to see what he has been upto please view the duck thread.

I am a proud foster mum!

September
07-28-2013, 08:25 PM
Such wonderful news, I'm so happy for you and Duck pinkneon!!

Moderator Team
08-02-2013, 03:58 AM
Very happy news, I am sure he will be having a great time.

Members can keep up to date with Ducks holiday home here:

http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/syrian-hamster/36471-ducks-thread.html

x