PDA

View Full Version : I Have To Get Rid Of Some Hamsters :(

beautifullybrooke
06-19-2013, 12:38 PM
Long time since I posted. Unfortunately my mom has demanded I get rid of some of my hamsters. I have to choose 2. So they have to be gone ASAP :(

Mom said if they dont go they become snake food. :(

cowgirlskipper
06-19-2013, 12:41 PM
Awwww... That's so sad. :( I would hate to get rid of any of mine. Are they syrians? I have been looking to adopt one. I might be able to take one in, as long as MY mom says yes ;) .

beautifullybrooke
06-19-2013, 12:44 PM
They are dwarfs, I have a syrian named Pippin, but I dont think I could give him up. I'm really attatched to him.

Gazmo
06-19-2013, 12:45 PM
that's horrible! she cant say that.. if you cant find homes, maybe a pet shop or a rescue centre can take them in?

Munchalot
06-19-2013, 03:45 PM
Oh no. :( I'm sorry you have to let them go, thats horrible.

Where are you located?

Cupcake
06-19-2013, 03:55 PM
Ugh :( I hate these threats involving animals being fed to other animals, I find it so cruel even if it were just a joke. I hope you can rehome them quickly!

@Munchalot: the OP is in the US. :)

beautifullybrooke
06-20-2013, 11:02 AM
I am in the US, north Georgia.

zebbecorn
06-20-2013, 03:20 PM
If I was closer, I'd take a few from you. It's a shame that your mother threatened to use them as snake food. :C

Sanctuary
06-20-2013, 03:42 PM
That is so nasty. Is there a reason why she has suddenly ome out with this? She obviously said you could have them when you got them so why get rid now? xxx

Tutu
06-20-2013, 11:48 PM
When your mum get bored of her dog or cat ( hope she hasn't one) is she going to feed them to wild bear or boar or throw them to shark tank? Just cause hamsters are small doesn't mean people can throw them around I think. After all hamsters are house hold pets too and should equally loved and cherished as dog or cat!

Munchalot
06-21-2013, 07:14 AM
Sorry I didn't think to look at your location description. I think I've just got use to another vBulletin forum where that feature didn't work.
Unfortunately I live in the UK, so I can't take one in. Other wise I would offer. :(

So sorry you have to let your little ones go.

cowgirlskipper
06-21-2013, 08:16 AM
They are dwarfs, I have a syrian named Pippin, but I dont think I could give him up. I'm really attatched to him.

Aww, thats totally ok, I understand. We all Love our furbabies! I'm afraid I'm not close enough to adopt one of yours though :(

Cricetinae
06-21-2013, 08:29 AM
I hope this is resolved as best as possible, please keep us updated.

I think it is both strange and upsetting that your mother would agree to allow you to have X amount of pets but then demand you reduce your numbers that she initially agreed to after you have bonded with them.

beautifullybrooke
06-21-2013, 11:36 AM
Well my mom actually breeds cavalier king charles spaniels and shows them. Very nice quality lines and she loves her dogs, and always breeds for the betterment of the breed. She doesnt like the smell of hamsters, even though I clean regularly. She also doesnt like that they "cant show love back like a dog can" and she is always very upset when they die. She doesnt like that their lifespans are short and therefore mourning the death of a hammie happens more often then dogs.

I have 3 campbells dwarfs, one syrian, and two robos. I'm rehoming 2 of the campbells. And keeping the rest.

I dont think she would actually follow through with that threat, but she wants some gone asap. Especially since I plan on welcoming two dwarfs from Fox Hill Hamstery in August, she wants to "make room" for them.

evel_lin
06-21-2013, 11:41 AM
I dont think she would actually follow through with that threat, but she wants some gone asap. Especially since I plan on welcoming two dwarfs from Fox Hill Hamstery in August, she wants to "make room" for them.

huh? So you're getting rid of two of your existing pets and then gettin two new ones?:confused:

beautifullybrooke
06-21-2013, 11:42 AM
I wasn't planning on getting rid of anyone. I was keeping everyone until mom told me this.

souffle
06-21-2013, 11:43 AM
Especially since I plan on welcoming two dwarfs from Fox Hill Hamstery in August, she wants to "make room" for them.

I really think that you should just cancel these hamsters and say you would wish to keep the ones you have at the moment. It is very unfair to rehome animals you have a responsibility to to make 'room' for new ones.
I cannot believe she would ask you to do that and that you would even consider it.
If you cannot keep these two then you shouldn't get others in case you or your mother has a change of heart.
All rehoming must be done via the rescue boards and not on a thread like this.
They must be true and needy hamsters and not rehoming to make way for others I'm afraid :(

beautifullybrooke
06-21-2013, 11:48 AM
Mom demands this of me and I do what she says because I live under her roof.

I have aimed to get hamsters from this line for a while now, over a year, so I am not going to change these plans. The hamsters I am trying to rehome are brother and sister rescues and I always had the intention of rehoming them, just not this soon. Seems like I have to now.

Sanctuary
06-21-2013, 11:51 AM
Poor hamsters getting replaced. please keep the ones you have, you must love them so dont let them go.
The new ones will find better homes but yours will miss you and feel abandoned.

souffle
06-21-2013, 11:54 AM
What if a situation arises then when you get the new hamsters Brooke and mum possibly thinks 'Oh these are much nicer that those old ones and I'll just tell her to get rid of the others so we can breed the new lines'
You need to consider every possibility and situation when you take on pets and if you are not living in your own property and need to obey house rules then think very carefully about future plans in case circumstances change.
Personally I would delay all plans till I was in a position where I could make my own decisions.
It needs real deep thoughts.

beautifullybrooke
06-21-2013, 11:57 AM
We do not breed hamsters. I am moving out in November but August is when I get the hamsters.

Tutu
06-21-2013, 12:03 PM
Poor hamsters getting replaced. please keep the ones you have, you must love them so dont let them go.
The new ones will find better homes but yours will miss you and feel abandoned.

Clearly she doesn't love these poor hamsters enough! Otherwise why she would be saying "need to get rid off 2 existing ones then by the way I'm getting 2 new ones"
Extremely sad situation. Usually I am willing to understand with open mind and heart rescue or rehoming situations. But this one is sad and bad case. This is the reasons we see so called pre-loved pets ads everywhere!
Letting go 2 hamsters in order to make room for 2 new ones is like I'm buying shoes and thrown away 2 old ones in rubbish bin to make room for new shoes!
Only this case hamsters turned into shoes!

beautifullybrooke
06-21-2013, 12:07 PM
I think some people are under the influence that I am trying to rehome these hamsters to get new ones. This is NOT the case. This is one excuse out of many mom has told me to justify why I must rehome them. The bottom line is that these hamsters are hamsters that I care about dearly. They are sweet and healthy and bring me much joy, however I was given them unexpectedly and while I would love to be their forever home I never had that intention. So please everybody, calm down. If I didnt care about them, I would post them for free on craigslist. I am extremely offended at the moment and I am very bothered that a forum I normally find so supportive is now being crass.

souffle
06-21-2013, 12:12 PM

Thank you for explaining but take great care in how you word things in future because I am not surprised that members have taken umbridge at your statement quoted above.
I hope you find them good homes or maybe even keep them till your move in November when you can make your own choices.

icklemunch
06-21-2013, 12:13 PM
I really hope these hamsters end up in a fantastic forever home, where they are loved and spoilt rotton.

beautifullybrooke
06-21-2013, 12:19 PM
People just seem to think I want these hamsters gone. My mother wants them gone. This was a random request. I have plenty of room for several more hamsters. This is just what my mother said. The hamsters have a very good home here, I am their sole caretaker and it was extremely hard for me to have to finally accept the fact that I have to let them go.

If I can I may convince her to let them stay since I am moving out so soon. Her threat just made me want to try. If I absolutel need to they can go to my fiances house for a few months. I just like my hamsters all where I can constantly supervise them.

Tutu
06-21-2013, 12:27 PM
People just seem to think I want these hamsters gone. My mother wants them gone. This was a random request. I have plenty of room for several more hamsters. This is just what my mother said. The hamsters have a very good home here, I am their sole caretaker and it was extremely hard for me to have to finally accept the fact that I have to let them go.

If I can I may convince her to let them stay since I am moving out so soon. Her threat just made me want to try. If I absolutel need to they can go to my fiances house for a few months. I just like my hamsters all where I can constantly supervise them.

Well now you explained it things look different ! Really if you put title on your tread " I have to get rid of some hamsters" then go on saying also I'm getting new ones will upset loads of people really. It is almost as if you are asking to be told off! However now you explained your situation better I sort of see your situation. Hope your mum was saying these words to make you move out faster.
And hope it will work out for you and your little hamsters.

beautifullybrooke
06-21-2013, 12:30 PM
I should have clarified a little more, I guess since in my head I knew the whole situation it just made more sense to me. And Tutu, you actually made a good suggestion, maybe I will try to move out sooner. Then my babies and I will both be happy!

beautifullybrooke
06-29-2013, 02:51 PM
Great news to everyone: I am able to keep all of my fur kids :) No one has to be rehomed.

icklemunch
06-29-2013, 02:52 PM
Great new :)

DrKMcK
06-29-2013, 09:20 PM
Hello beautifulybrooke. I hope everything works out for you with all of this. I think it will be a bit easier when you are on your own and you may do what you want in your own home. Good luck to you and you hamily. :-)

racinghamster
07-01-2013, 02:48 AM
I wouldn`t allow even my mother to play mind games with my pets. If she breeds dogs, maybe she should leave the hamsters alone and allow you to be their sole caretaker especially if you have plans to move this year. It doesn`t make much sense to start mouthing off about some of your existing hamsters to make room for `better` hamsters when the two hamsters you planned to rehome are still with you and in your care until they can be found a suitable new home, surely? Why take them on in the first place if a situation like this may well have surfaced or caused tensions between you both? It`s better to let unwanted animals go to a home that wants them, rather than a home that might not be a secure one. Even though your intention was to find them a new home,it makes sense to keep them until you can, or at least until you move out.

If it`s all down to your mum, then you won`t have much say in the matter, but I would start looking for a nice home now before she decides otherwise.