PDA

View Full Version : What's the best hamster breed?

Alright
05-29-2013, 02:11 PM
In your opinion, what breed of hamster is best and why? :D

icklemunch
05-29-2013, 02:26 PM
Ooo i wouldn't say best but my favourite has got to be a syrian

I love the varitey of coat colours and types (i love long haired)
Gorgeous faces
Their size
How easy they are to handle
Their personalities.

I love all hamsters though :)

slatted
05-29-2013, 02:32 PM
There is no best hamster just the best for you....and even then there may be a number different hamster species that appeal for different reasons.

I started with Syrians, then got Robos and now have Winter Whites as well! Lol

Maybe you need to look at why you want a hamster and what qualities you would like....but also maybe just visit a pet store and fall in love....sometimes the best hamster finds you, you don't find it :)

linford27
05-29-2013, 02:33 PM
Syrians are solitary, need a big cage, but generally more friendly and much better for the beginner.
There's also robos, who sometimes live in pairs, very quick and not so great for handling, chinese, which can be good, again best kept solitary. I have been told Winter Whites are like mini syrians, but dwarf hamsters from pet shops are usually hybrids anyway, which is a mix of different dwarf breeds. Dwarf hams are prone to diabetes, so need sugar free food, like Supahamster Dwarf, or Harry Hamster with the flakes and corn picked out.

Alright
05-29-2013, 02:43 PM
Cool, everyone! The title probably should have been FAVORITE not best, haha. I just love seeing what breeds everybody likes!

slatted
05-29-2013, 02:54 PM
Linford 27...not all dwarfs are diabetes prone...Winter Whites and Robos are not....and even the sugar free "rule" is open to interpretation.

And "Favourite" is still very difficult to determine for the same reason....and I try not to have favourites just lots of hamsters that I love for different reasons :)

Maybe you need to look at yourself, why do you want a hamster? What qualities are you looking for from a "furbaby"?:)

Oh, and before anyone else mentions it...they are different Species not breed....

isold
05-30-2013, 11:27 AM
My favorite is Syrian :)

Queen Of The High Teas
05-30-2013, 04:20 PM
All of them! I couldn't choose just one!

DrKMcK
05-30-2013, 11:14 PM
There is so much to recommend the different species of hamsters. For beginners I personally recommend a Syrian. They're bigger and easier to handle. Also, they tend to be more social. However, just like anything else, there are are exceptions. Some dwarf hamsters are very friendly and love to be held and there are Syrians who are biters or who are not happy with being held. It's not an easy call. I'd go exploring and check out some hamsters. If at all possible, see if you can find a breeder who can help you handle some and give you some pointers. Since you are following a vet, see if either that vet or someone that vet recommends can help you to handle some hammies. You do have a resource in your work experience with a vet. :-)

Panda's_mommy
05-30-2013, 11:23 PM
Panda is my first hamster, he's a syrian. I always wanted one growing up. He's great, he is such a sweet boy, he's easy to care for, never bites, he lets me rub his tummy. Just has a great personality.

Oshawott
05-30-2013, 11:48 PM
I think a syrian would be best if you are new to hamsters. As others have said they tend to be more content with interaction and slower to handle. It will require patience and taming to get to the ideal stage but it will be worth it. :)

Gazmo
05-31-2013, 01:45 AM
id recommend a syrian, their bigger, and i feel they have mmore personality from my experience, though this might just be mine :)

hamsternut
07-22-2013, 02:51 PM
I think syrians are the best.

HelloKitty
07-24-2013, 07:51 AM
Mine is the Syrian! I love how they come in variety. :D