PDA

View Full Version : possible new display/show venue found for next year

Matty Day
05-30-2008, 09:02 AM
i sometimes do a bit of volunteering for the national trust at there tyntesfeild property(coincidently they had something going today when I lost my tether with revision) and it turns out they have a crafts show on there estate weekend after next. apparently if this one goes well they might do one next year :x

so if its a free venue and it goes ahead next year would it be possible to do a display/show there next year?

souffle
05-30-2008, 09:52 AM
You need to ask the club secretary/show manager Matty. We have been through this with Bunsey when she wanted to organise a show and it is not up to an individual but the club in this area.

Bunsey
05-30-2008, 02:10 PM
it's not that easy. like Souffle said, i kind of came up against a bit of a wall with my ideas. There's a County show in Staffordshire every year that would be a good venue, but there can only be so many shows a year and for that to happen, one of the other venues couldn't and people like the other venues, so i'd imagine they'd vote for those venues over mine that is miles away from the other "midlands" venues. no-one else lives up here.

Matty Day
05-30-2008, 02:15 PM
well this venue could replace an unpoular existing show as its near the north somerset show. which may be canclled anway as the club cant do any sales.

i can look into this one and im raising it at andover with pete :x

05-30-2008, 02:42 PM
Maybe it would be "nice" if there's a new Southern show to have it in an area that isn't already covered by the show calendar.....like the South East?!! I know I'm a little bit biased but there seem to be plenty of shows in the South West already....my nearest SHC show is more than a 3 hour (one way) drive away! I'm happy to travel but there's a whole potential membership base which is currently being missed. :(

Matty Day
05-30-2008, 02:45 PM
this is a problem i agree but normly the south west shows are popular and well atended and this is a better potentail free venue close to an existing show.

i do agree we need more south eastern shows but i dont see whay the west has to lose one for the east. why cant we just have more if there a free south eastern venues around :x

Bunsey
05-30-2008, 02:46 PM
i know exactly how you feel ELC. The midland shows are all in the south apart from 2. There are no shows between Birmingham and Manchester. :cry:

Bunsey
05-30-2008, 02:51 PM
this is a problem i agree but normly the south west shows are popular and well atended

So are the south midland shows, but how can you ever know if an area is popular if there are never any shows there? I'd gladly make posters and advertise the midland hamster club locally, but what's the point cos no-one's gonna drive 3 hours to see what a hmster show is all about! :cry:

can you imagine me putting a poster up saying "hamster show in Gloucester, 100 miles away" or "hamster show in Oxford, 130 miles away"! :lol:

i do agree we need more south eastern shows but i dont see whay the west has to lose one for the east.

isn't that a bit selfish. The area around Bristol, Gloucester, Swindon etc. has loads of shows and the SE has zero! just tae a look at the show map!
http://www.aardvarkmap.net/mape/H6TWMSIW
that's not including displays.

Matty Day
05-30-2008, 02:59 PM
[quote=Matty Day]this is a problem i agree but normly the south west shows are popular and well atended

So are the south midland shows, but how can you ever know if an area is popular if there are never any shows there? I'd gladly make posters and advertise the midland hamster club locally, but what's the point cos no-one's gonna drive 3 hours to see what a hmster show is all about! :cry:

can you imagine me putting a poster up saying "hamster show in Gloucester, 100 miles away" or "hamster show in Oxford, 130 miles away"! :lol:

i do agree we need more south eastern shows but i dont see whay the west has to lose one for the east.

isn't that a bit selfish. The area around Bristol, Gloucester, Swindon etc. has loads of shows and the SE has zero! just tae a look at the show map!
http://www.aardvarkmap.net/mape/H6TWMSIW
that's not including displays.[/quote:ukth1an8]

just a note bunsey its equaly unfair that all shows are in the country and not in town centeres :x

i dont see why theres a show quota anway if it cost the club nothing to run aka a big country show why the big objectoin to a new one :x

Bourne Valley Hams
05-30-2008, 03:00 PM
It is more a case of where the organisers, judges and major exhibitors can get to really. I know that doesn't help those just starting out but venues are not necessarily fixed from year to year so there is always a chance things will more in your direction!
I agree that we need more South Eastern shows, but we have to be sure that we can find the people both to run and to attend the show.

By the way Matty - Pete is not show secretary or show manager for the Southern Club - they are the people you need to speak to, not Pete.

Matty Day
05-30-2008, 03:03 PM
thanks i dont know who to speak to half of the time :x

souffle
05-30-2008, 03:03 PM
You need to ask the club secretary/show manager Matty. .

That is exactly what I said in the first post, as BVH has confirmed again.

Bourne Valley Hams
05-30-2008, 03:04 PM
i dont see why theres a show quota anway if it cost the club nothing to run aka a big country show why the big objectoin to a new one :x

Do you have any idea how many weekends a year Pete and Chris and ourselves already spend working unpaid organising shows and displays - not to mention the mileage we travel??

Matty Day
05-30-2008, 03:05 PM
erm no. it would help if more people helped and i hope to do so when i have the money :x

Bourne Valley Hams
05-30-2008, 03:07 PM
Well have a look at the current show list and count!! :wink:

BVMARK
05-30-2008, 03:09 PM
If I remember right, when this was being discussed before, it was said that we don't have to keep to a set number of shows. The problem is, getting the people to judge, show sec, kitchen, book steward and pen steward. That is at least 8 people doing work, problem is, it normaly ends up being the same people doing the same jobs. Another factor is the cost of the venue. Most halls cost between £80 and £100 per show, and if you don't have many people turn up for the show then the club can be left with quite a shortfall. If anybody can come up with a good sized hall at a reasonable cost, then let the show manager know for that area and see what can be done to host a show in a new area :wink:

Matty Day
05-30-2008, 03:11 PM
this isnt a hall its a possible free venue on a natoinal trust property at a crafts show. it is 5 minutes up the road from the current north somerset show. and would allow sales :x

shall i check my village hall to to se what they would charge? so it would be more profitable to ditch the north somerset show in favour of this close venue :x

Bunsey
05-30-2008, 03:12 PM
yeah, you've gotta get judges and sellers and secretaries. When people work full time all week and have 100 hamsters to clean, it's too much to go to shows every weekend.

things do alter slightly from year to year but unfotunately for me, there are less shows i can get to this year than last. e.g. last year there was Great Barr which was close enough to go that was replaced with one that was too far away.

Taking my show as an example, who is gonna drive 100 miles to be sec or judge or help in the kitchen? there's no-one within 40 miles of me. i just can't do it alone and can't expect people to travel all that way, so unless more members join from this area who can help, i don't see it happening. it's a vicious circle cos there's not gonna be more members here if there's no shows here. I didn't become a member through a show, i only joined to get the journal. :lol:

if there were shows in, say, Stafford, i'd advertise that and convince people to go. it's a shame the BHA collapsed cos they did Stafford, B'ham and Liverpool. All accessable to me.

BVMARK
05-30-2008, 03:14 PM
To be honest Matty, sales are not the main issue with the north sommerset show. I'm not sure if the sales thing is just the show rules or a county rule, like the city of Portsmouth will allow no sales in their area.

Matty Day
05-30-2008, 03:16 PM
im still going to look into this and raise it. can it do any harm :x

i could always check with the local council to find out if it is some kind of funny bye law :x

vnewman236
05-30-2008, 03:34 PM
Maybe it would be "nice" if there's a new Southern show to have it in an area that isn't already covered by the show calendar.....like the South East?!! I know I'm a little bit biased but there seem to be plenty of shows in the South West already....my nearest SHC show is more than a 3 hour (one way) drive away! I'm happy to travel but there's a whole potential membership base which is currently being missed. :(

I second that! I want shows that aren't at least two hours each way on the train! Unlikely though - luckily I have my family railcard to keep costs down at least! :lol:

05-30-2008, 03:42 PM
this is a problem i agree but normly the south west shows are popular and well atended and this is a better potentail free venue close to an existing show.

i do agree we need more south eastern shows but i dont see whay the west has to lose one for the east. why cant we just have more if there a free south eastern venues around :x

Excuse me Matty but "why the west should lose a show for the east to have one"???

1) How about because there aren't ANY SHC shows in the South East? (and by that I mean, Essex, Kent, Surrey, East Sussex, West Sussex)

2) What makes you assume that a South East show wouldn't be popular and well attended? There's a much greater population in the South-East than the South West, and a hugely untapped potential membership base for SHC. Its not just about your convenience...its about educating the public (who's educating people in the South East right now? No-one) and gaining new members for the club.

souffle
05-30-2008, 03:48 PM
But Matty do you even know if the Craft show would even consider a hamster show. It may not be free as at most such events you pay to take a stall and who would you contact? You said the show is not even on every year :shock: When you take on a show you need to take responsibility for all sorts of things like ensuring the hall is booked, signing lease contracts, paying deposit, collecting and returning keys and hall fees, opening and shutting, clearing up, ensuring no damage is caused, checking if various things are allowed such as dogs etc, public safety catering and organising all the food/drinks. Thats just for hall and catering stuff. Other people have all the organisation to do with show sec, entries, sales, judges etc. I don't think you realise how much is involved.
Anyway you can't do anything until you have brought it before the committee.

Bunsey
05-30-2008, 03:51 PM
Souffle is right. one of the reasons i was put off hosting a show was that i didn't want to do the kitchen and none of my family agreed to help me organise the show, which i kinda took for granted that they would :oops:

Matty Day
05-30-2008, 04:06 PM
But Matty do you even know if the Craft show would even consider a hamster show. It may not be free as at most such events you pay to take a stall and who would you contact? You said the show is not even on every year :shock: When you take on a show you need to take responsibility for all sorts of things like ensuring the hall is booked, signing lease contracts, paying deposit, collecting and returning keys and hall fees, opening and shutting, clearing up, ensuring no damage is caused, checking if various things are allowed such as dogs etc, public safety catering and organising all the food/drinks. Thats just for hall and catering stuff. Other people have all the organisation to do with show sec, entries, sales, judges etc. I don't think you realise how much is involved.
Anyway you can't do anything until you have brought it before the committee.

simple answer here if you don’t find out nothing happens.
i wouldn’t want to organise it on my own but id help i also wouldn’t mind to help with negotiating with the national trust as a volunteer and someone who knows whos who within the estate as I have done work experience at the exact same estate I know a lot of people there.

If this year goes well then I shall open negotiations with the southern show manager and then I will get the show manager in touch with the trust depending on the show managers decision

Elc the reason there’s no eastern shows as there’s no breeders in the eastern area . I sympathize but there a nearly full show calendar that’s why wed may have to loose an western show

Bunsey
05-30-2008, 04:08 PM
but if there's no shows in the east there'll never be any big eastern breeders! vicious circle. I don't think it would hurt to take away one of the SW's many many shows :lol:

Matty Day
05-30-2008, 04:10 PM
if it came to a poular vote it wouldnt be popular maybe its somthing for elc to do when shes got more exprience within the club and id support her :x

Mollz
05-30-2008, 04:12 PM
I do truly, truly sypathise with everyone is the SE (and other areas lacking in shows).
But, shows won't happen unless there are people there who can set it up and sort everything out. So maybe the people living in these areas could all get together and arrange a show? - This will cause more people in the area to be interested, therefore there will be more people to arrange shows and attend etc.

The problem is that people like Towy Vale and Bourne Valley go to so many shows that it is unfair to expect them to have to set up and organise more shows that are even further away from them.

I hope we can get some shows in the South East for you :D

Bunsey
05-30-2008, 04:20 PM
if it came to a poular vote it wouldnt be popular maybe its somthing for elc to do when shes got more exprience within the club and id support her :x

i'm sure ELC can speak for herself, but how rude and patronising! how long have you been a member? 2 months? :lol:

Bourne Valley Hams
05-30-2008, 04:23 PM
There was actually a hamster show in Kent last September. Not an NHC one but organised by a SOEHC member who is a vet. Although we could not be there we gave him plenty of literature & advice. I believe it was quite well supported locally.
Why not research shows held by other small furries clubs to see if they will let you use a corner of their show hall?

Matty Day
05-30-2008, 04:24 PM
not again :cry: im just saying id support elc if it came to a southern members vote. if must be terrible living in the east. ive beena member for 5 months actually :x

on second thougth it wouldnt be to bad to loose one western show

05-30-2008, 05:20 PM

i'm sure ELC can speak for herself, but how rude and patronising! how long have you been a member? 2 months? :lol:

Thanks Bunsey. xx

Matty, I've been a member for as long as you have - the difference is that I'm trying to learn from the experienced members and show some respect rather than just charging in and upsetting everyone.

I have every intention of raising the South East show question at the next Southern AGM - until then, I don't think its appropriate as the Committee have better things to do with their time than fend off requests from us members that can wait until later in the year.

Matty Day
05-30-2008, 05:32 PM
[quote="Matty Day":1nrvg5j3]if it came to a poular vote it wouldnt be popular maybe its somthing for elc to do when shes got more exprience within the club and id support her :x

Thanks Bunsey. xx

Matty, I've been a member for as long as you have - the difference is that I'm trying to learn from the experienced members and show some respect rather than just charging in and upsetting everyone.

I have every intention of raising the South East show question at the next Southern AGM - until then, I don't think its appropriate as the Committee have better things to do with their time than fend off requests from us members that can wait until later in the year.[/quote:1nrvg5j3]

well im sorry if you think ' charging in' i would not have started this thread. as i thought it would be a good idea to ask about this possible venue. which if im correct looks more profitble for the club than the current venue of the north somerset show.

Holly
05-31-2008, 01:13 AM
Matty, do you ever think before you hit the post button - actually stop and think if you are likely to upset anyone with your posts? You are obviously upset that you've upset someone again so it might be worth your while to do that.

This forum allows us all to speak - one of the rules of being "given a voice" is that we don't tread roughshod through everyone else's feelings. It's a very nice place because people here care about the feelings of other people - as souffle once wrote "if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all".

This topic, as we all saw recently, is bound to be controversial, perhaps it would have been better if you had discussed it with the club first - I don't really see the point of dredging it up here again when no one here can answer your query :(

Bourne Valley Hams
05-31-2008, 02:22 AM
I have been pondering this South Eastern show problem. I am not sure at the moment that we would get enough entries to justify hiring a hall but if we could share a show with another of the animal fancies it might be doable. There are a few judges within 2 or 3 hours drive of the Kent/Surrey area so we could probably get a judge there. Worth looking into I think.

05-31-2008, 02:27 AM
I have been pondering this South Eastern show problem. I am not sure at the moment that we would get enough entries to justify hiring a hall but if we could share a show with another of the animal fancies it might be doable. There are a few judges within 2 or 3 hours drive of the Kent/Surrey area so we could probably get a judge there. Worth looking into I think.

I'm very happy to pledge my help - both on the day and in advance. And I'll enter all the hams I've got!! (excluding robos, that's about 20). :D

Spacemonkey
05-31-2008, 05:06 AM
It would be so nice to have a show in Essex/Kent, I feel I'm missing out of the fun of shows and would love to attend one/enter. I don't think there are many people who breed in this area apart from me, I get inundated with people wanting a baby when I have a litter, a sales table at a show here would be stripped bare in an hour judging by my daily email box! :lol:

I'd certainly volunteer to help out, maybe we should start a list of the willing to present to the committee so they can gauge the level of support should they consider going ahead.

Louby
05-31-2008, 05:13 AM
You can add us to the helpers list too! :D

vnewman236
05-31-2008, 06:38 AM
And me!!

Bunsey
05-31-2008, 07:08 AM

could we do that with a North Midlands show, too. i have no idea if it's possible, but i do think it's a problem like the south East. All but 2 midland shows are on the very southern edge of the Midlands.

Bourne Valley Hams
05-31-2008, 09:56 AM
could we do that with a North Midlands show, too. i have no idea if it's possible, but i do think it's a problem like the south East. All but 2 midland shows are on the very southern edge of the Midlands.

It seems quite a logical solution to me.
The main arguements against shows in areas that may possibly be poorly supported are the expense of the hall and people to effectively staff the show. With another fancy the hall cost could be halved at least and there will be more people available to run a kitchen etc.
It just needs someone to do the research and find out when and where the other fancies are holding shows and make some enquiries. Obviously this will have to be discussed with show managers but I think it might be a good compromise until such time that those areas can support a show on their own.

Bunsey
05-31-2008, 10:51 AM
i'll check out what's around here then and let you know if i find anything :D