PDA

View Full Version : What the heck!?! (rubbing up against things?)

Sapphire_Ratties
08-23-2005, 11:05 PM
Ok, I have had hamsters almost all my life on and off. This is the FIRST time I have EVER seen anything like this! I just cleaned our hamsters cage this evening, I put everything back, and she starts running around and rubbing up against things!

I thought it was because she was in heat (her tails up, arching back) but I've never seen the rubbing up against things, wheel, cage in cage, timber hide away, "ramp", toilet paper tube. EVERYTHING.

Is this because she could be in heat? I sure hope so!

SnuggleHam
08-24-2005, 04:14 AM
I had a female syrian hamster that would stand stiff and put her tail up when I pat her when she was in heat, So maybe your hamster is in heat, to me it sounds like it.

matinee_92
08-24-2005, 08:04 AM
Im pretty sure that male and female syrian hamsters both have scent glands on their sides, but they are more noticable on males. So she's probably just marking her territory!

babyboos
08-24-2005, 11:08 AM
Totaly right Helen male and female hamsters have scent glands on their hips and this is classic behaviour when they are sexually mature and out in a new clean environment - remember females are more territorial then males :)

Sapphire_Ratties
08-24-2005, 07:40 PM
Thats what I thought to. But I hadn't washed the wheel, "cage in cage", ramp, or ANYTHING else, it was just a "litter clean out" day. Plus her tail WAS stiff in the air, but she was moving to! lol.

SnuggleHam
08-25-2005, 04:35 AM
Neat, I wasnt sure if syrians hand scent glads, I knew the dwarfs did, but hey you learn something everyday!