PDA

View Full Version : Rummage Sales!

LokiWolf
04-17-2013, 02:23 PM
Who else likes rummage sales? I love them as I can find hamster stuff there or things that can be used for the hamsters for very cheap prices. And if there's a book section, you can get a lot of books without breaking your wallet.

Near us there is this huge rummage sale in a town called Far Hills that is twice a year, once in the spring and once in the fall. We've gone about 4 times in the last few years and I always come home happy (expect for that one time we had to cut it short because my sister wanted us to pick her up early) with my finds. There's always some hamster related items there in the pet section and a gigantic book section (over 40,000 books!). In the book section you can find some interesting and hard to find books, the first time we went I found Alpaca breeding and showing booklets (I didn't pick these up, but I wish I did as one of my sisters is adopted from Peru and it could have been a fun gift to give) and the last time we went I found a Hamsterlopaedia (I already gotten my copy from Amazon a few months earlier for about $14, but who can pass this book up for 50 cents! I now have two copies)! This rummage sale is one of those 'if you are looking for something, you most likely will find it here' ones.

The spring sale is in the beginning of May and I can't wait! I've been waiting for the next sale since we came home from last year's fall sale. I wonder what we will find this year...

So, what are you guys' experiences with rummage sales? What have been big scores you bought from one?

HollyHamster
04-21-2013, 04:02 PM
My neighborhood has rummage sales every so often, but I never get around to going to these. I always want to, just for searching for hamster stuffs. I guess I just need to put in more initiative or something.

iwasbornwright
04-21-2013, 04:08 PM
Not sure what rummage sales are! Must be an American term.. but if it means getting knee deep rummaging through sales items in shops them I'm a pro :)

vanilla-yazoo
04-21-2013, 04:44 PM
i think its like a bring and buy or a car boot sale :D but a big one :D
a bit like the europa event my aunt often has a charity stool at :)

I dont have anything like that near here, i do have access to card boxes at work, and sometimes grab one, but theres a carpet shop near here I want to go get the card inners from :D seeing as they will only be thrown away :D

squishyhammy
04-21-2013, 05:04 PM
i saw a zz2 in one last year for £5. but i wasnt allowedto buy it (wouldnt ove been able to carry it as was going past the sale on horseback)

pixiehollow
04-23-2013, 10:15 AM
I would love to go to an american rummage sale! Closest we have here in the Isle of Man are carboot sales and most of the time you won't find anything pet related :( But I do love going 'just in case' and to look at the kiddy toys, to see if anything is suitable for a cage :) xxx

OMG Squishyhammy!! I'd have gone mad if someone wouldn't let me stop for it :mad: Bargain!!

LoveMyHams
04-23-2013, 10:52 AM
garage sale, yard sale, rummage sale, boot sale... all terms for selling your personal items you no longer want either from your home or at a designated location.

Kaztrekie
04-23-2013, 11:55 AM
American rummage sales are great I got o go to me when I was younger came away with lot of Disney stuff :) in the uk we have some good car boot sales some not so great ones ,
I have nt beento one for a while.

linford27
04-24-2013, 11:20 AM
I once found a PAH 'gerbilarium' for £2, but afterwards realized it was not really suitable!
Usually I just sell at them, trying to get rid of my junk lol

Leesha
04-24-2013, 11:35 AM
I need to go to a carboot, people find the best things! Knowing me I'd go home with a tonne of stuff to house or entertain several hamsters! :lol:

Silver
04-24-2013, 01:48 PM
When I have gone to one before I'm a little shy of going up to peoples stalls & rummage through there things :oops:

Queen Of The High Teas
04-24-2013, 04:26 PM
Love rummage sales and rooting around! You never know what treasures you'll find:p. My favourite ever day in school was when all but five of us had gone on the year trip to a theme park (I hadn't because I don't like the rides), the last day of term before the summer holidays. All but one or two teachers had gone too, so we got to spend the entire afternoon rummaging around in the huge skip that the teachers had been filling up for the past fortnight with old stuff they no longer wanted. I got a book, several exercise books, graph paper, plain paper, writing paper, a ring binder, some pens, some board marker pens, enough plastic pockets to last me the rest of my time in school then give them to my brother when he started there, and I even found a bag to put it all in to carry home! It was awesome, I don't suppose you'd be allowed to nowadays, but we were all climbing around in the skip, right to the bottom, amongst all the broken chairs and desks, seeing what the teachers had chucked out, without all the "top dogs" getting the choices first:p

LoveMyHams
04-24-2013, 11:05 PM
My city has a "100 Mile Garage Sale" every year. I'm going with a friend this year (it's actually in 2 weeks). It's a lot of fun! It's basically lots of people who live along the same area who are signed up for the sale and then you drive from city to city going to almost 200 different sales along the way.

LoveMyHams
04-24-2013, 11:06 PM
When I have gone to one before I'm a little shy of going up to peoples stalls & rummage through there things :oops:

I've found underwear and bras in clothing piles before :shock:

LokiWolf
04-27-2013, 09:22 PM
I've found underwear and bras in clothing piles before :shock:

I find those in garage and yard sales all the time. Why would people even think to sell those? And why on earth would anyone buy them used? :confused: The rummage sale I go to thankfully has nothing like that.

The rummage sale is less than a week away, can't wait for it! :D

Mom and me are also planning to do the World's Longest Yard Sale, which should be fun. We plan to leave a few days early as it'll take a while to get to Highway 127, plus we plan to stop and spend a whole day at the Columbus Zoo. We also plan to make little stops in other places to see things too. This will be the first time we'd be doing something like this.