PDA

View Full Version : Terminology...

arlev
05-26-2008, 11:26 AM
...is there a Chinese Hamster known as a 'Chinese White'? I kinda guess it'd be an albino or colourless Chinese hamster but am just wondering if this is an officially recognised term. Ta.

Bunsey
05-26-2008, 12:33 PM
there is a white chinese hamster, but it's really rare. it's not an albino. i don't know what it's technically called.

Matty Day
05-26-2008, 12:36 PM
black eyed white :x

its a double spotted dom spot thrown up rarely in dom spot to domspot litters :x equilvlent of eyeless white in syrians but most get absorbed in the womb. :x

its a mutatoin me and another breeder plan to try and stablise in 2010. by doing dom spot to domspot back to back and hoping we get two of the oposite sex at the same time or close togther :x

ami_j
06-01-2008, 10:26 AM
is it actually a morph then or a fluke that really wasnt really expected to be born. its a lethal gene is it not like with dom spot in hamster , they are normally absorbed

Foreverhamsters
06-04-2008, 12:05 PM
matty is spot on (no pun intended :p) they are refered to as Black Eayed Whites (BEW)
they are in a way a gentic mutation really its just luck to get one pop up in a litter, it will be interesting to see how you get on matty. how many chinese do you have?
until recently the BEW was thought to be infertile but a man in london succesfully bred a female BEW to a dom spot male, unfotunately the 2 litters she porduced only had dom spots in. the only concern i have with breeding BEW to BEW if you were lucky enough to get them is that due to the lethal gene there may be health issues in any pups born for example eyeless whites, however it has never been tried so who knows what will happen?

Saskia1982
11-23-2008, 01:17 PM
BEW hamsters tend to be a bit smaller as dominant spots and natural chinese hamsters.
Further there seems to be no health issues by the BEWs.
My record is 4 BEWs in one litter ;)

Foreverhamsters
11-25-2008, 06:23 AM
when i said there might be health issues i was refering to Breeding BEW to another BEW. :D

Saskia1982
11-25-2008, 06:57 AM
They don't breed at all is my experience ;)
You can call it an health issue..