PDA

View Full Version : Biting

Timmo
05-26-2008, 05:24 AM
My two dwarfs who were origanally together used to fight and the one used to bite. I split them up and they've been split up for about two weeks now. Alfie is fine and I can pick him up and handle him with no problem whatsoever. But oscar is still biting. I've been giving him treats and putting my hand in daily and he is still biting and drew blood once. Halp please?

SnuggleHam
05-26-2008, 06:18 AM
My two dwarfs who were origanally together used to fight and the one used to bite. I split them up and they've been split up for about two weeks now. Alfie is fine and I can pick him up and handle him with no problem whatsoever. But oscar is still biting. I've been giving him treats and putting my hand in daily and he is still biting and drew blood once. Halp please?

Id say give the other ham more time. Each of them have different personalties and Oscar may require longer to work with. Some hamsters are just always sort of cage aggressive, perhaps this is whats going on? Are you washing your hands before handling Oscar? Is it possible he smells the other hamster or other pets on you?

I also suggest perhaps trying to take Oscar out of his cage with a small cup or something. My hamster Diddy is a Campbells and hes not very nice when he's in his cage. He likes his space left alone. But if I use a cup or something for him to climb in and take him out, hes as sweet as can be :)

Timmo
05-26-2008, 06:25 AM
I've used a tube before to get him out and he still bit me. I always wash my hands before handling.

NaomiR
05-26-2008, 07:30 AM
Funny thing is that whenever I have 2 of anything (its the same when I have a pair of guinea pigs) I have 1 that's really friendly and one that's the total opposite!!