PDA

View Full Version : want new hammy

Sheldon
04-03-2013, 01:44 PM
Sorry i haven't been on for a bit :( ive been very busy ,

i was wondering of getting another small animal but im torn beetween 4 (a lot i know) another syrian hamster, Chinese Hamster ,Russian Hamster or a Roborovski Hamster.

i would like to know wich hamster you would recomend or if you have had one if so what were they like.

thank you all coments will help me loads

kyrilliondaemon
04-03-2013, 01:52 PM
I can't really reccomend any over the others... We have all four species at the moment.
They're all very different.

What species of hamster have you owned before?

Sheldon
04-03-2013, 02:03 PM
just syrian hamsters sheldons my third do you think i should stick to syrians

Kaztrekie
04-03-2013, 02:21 PM
Whatever you are happy with I am thinking of a Russian myself because I have fallen for a couple but its your own choice .

Sheldon
04-03-2013, 02:28 PM
does it matter if i get a Campbell's Russian or a Winter White Russian hamster

sorry if it a bit of a silly question

Kaztrekie
04-03-2013, 02:30 PM
Do some research on each breed see what you prefer .

Sheldon
04-03-2013, 02:35 PM
ok thanks a lot ill do that right now :D

cactus
04-03-2013, 02:37 PM
I can't say too much about Robo and Chinese types because I haven't had any, from what I can tell, Chinese can be very fast and a bit cheeky, while Robo's are a little hard to tame sometimes and some just like to be left alone.

As for Syrian's, I suppose you already know but I love how much attention they like and how friendly they are. I'm not too sure if a Campbell's or a Winter White would act differently as I have hybrids but I wouldn't think there would be much difference. I've had a harder time taming the Russians but they are amazing if you take the time to tame them. I barely see the one and the other is always begging for cuddles so it seems to be more down to the personality than the breed in some respects.

Just my personal views, I'd look into it properly and have a think about what type you really want before committing.

kyrilliondaemon
04-03-2013, 02:54 PM
Campbells, winter whites, and hybrids do have a few differences (particuarly in diet) but its so difficult to source purebred campbells and winter whites that a lot have to be treated as hybrids anyway.

Roborovskis are obscenely fast, but thats the main set thing lol

Beyond that... It all depends on the individuals. If you search the forum you'll find a lot more info than we can ever provide here :)

HammieLover95
04-04-2013, 11:54 AM
I would personally opt for Chinese dwarfs. In the past I have only had Syrians but I recently got a pair of Chinese boys and they are SO friendly--the first hammies I've had who actually don't mind being in my hand! :) and their whole litter was like that so I don't think it's an individual peculiarity.

kyrilliondaemon
04-04-2013, 01:16 PM
Er... Our chinese is nothing like that... So please don't assume all members of the species are.

HammieLover95
04-04-2013, 01:28 PM
Er... Our chinese is nothing like that... So please don't assume all members of the species are.

OK, sorry. I didn't know that, I'm REALLY new to dwarfs at all.

evel_lin
04-05-2013, 01:09 AM
I've had a harder time taming the Russians but they are amazing if you take the time to tame them. I barely see the one and the other is always begging for cuddles so it seems to be more down to the personality than the breed in some respects.

I've only had the one dwarf but she was tame so quickly and always wanting cuddles and attention. I agree with your comment about personality being the main influence

Bekki2308
04-05-2013, 02:00 AM
I have had/fostered all the species bar pure campbells. My experience of roborovskis is of non "cuddly" ones who were very much watch pets only, very easy to look after great to watch. My experience of chinese is vastly different between the two I have met, one was friendly,brave and liked being out the other was shy and didnt like handling one bit. My experience of russians is of 3 winter whites and 2 hybrids all of which became lovely cuddly hams who were very friendly after some time to tame. As for syrians they vary massively in my experience some love cuddles, some love wheels, some love digging others dont ever like handling (1 of mine has never tamed up to the point of cuddles), some love exploring. In my own experience dwarf hamsters tend to be less demanding than a syrian, and as you already have a syrian id possibly suggest trying a different species, of course if you're madly in love with syrians getting another one would be cool as they are all so different :-)

Homunculus
04-05-2013, 11:13 PM
You should go for a chinese hamster, i own two at the moment and they are very kind and gentle. :)

Kissa
04-06-2013, 01:33 AM
Can I just say, it's widely regarded by experienced Chinese keepers/breeders that Chinese, especially females, should be regarded as solitary. Get a Chinese by all means, but don't get two. Sometimes pairs of males work out, but most nearly always end up being separated.

HammieLover95
04-07-2013, 08:04 AM
Can I just say, it's widely regarded by experienced Chinese keepers/breeders that Chinese, especially females, should be regarded as solitary. Get a Chinese by all means, but don't get two. Sometimes pairs of males work out, but most nearly always end up being separated.

I think that you could keep two just as long as you have the means to seperate them if they begin fighting. I keep two Chinese in my homemade hammie cage, but it has a divider to make 2 habitats if necessary.

kyrilliondaemon
04-07-2013, 02:36 PM
I think that you could keep two just as long as you have the means to seperate them if they begin fighting. I keep two Chinese in my homemade hammie cage, but it has a divider to make 2 habitats if necessary.

Whereas I agree with Kissa - as do the vast majority of other people including at least one chinese breeder.
Plus... Sorry but you've kinda pushed me to saying this, the cage you're keeping your pair of chinese in is not a cage I would ever advise someone risk a pair of anything in, forget a pair of chinese. It has a lot of features that increase the risk the pair will turn on each other and in chinese they can fall out so badly someone ends up seriously injured or dead with very little or no warning.
Our chinese Nut is a lone chinese, we got him alone after he fell out with his brother. We're experienced with keeping dwarf pairs/groups - including a volatile pair of hybrids at one stage, but we're not ready to risk a pair of chinese. There's just too high a chance they'll fall out suddenly and seriously badly, we're not prepared to risk our hams getting seriously injured because we thought we/pet shops knew better than the people with real and useful experience with the species. And thats from people who do know and follow every single guideline there is about keeping hams together.

HammieLover95
04-07-2013, 07:26 PM
Whereas I agree with Kissa - as do the vast majority of other people including at least one chinese breeder.
Plus... Sorry but you've kinda pushed me to saying this, the cage you're keeping your pair of chinese in is not a cage I would ever advise someone risk a pair of anything in, forget a pair of chinese. It has a lot of features that increase the risk the pair will turn on each other and in chinese they can fall out so badly someone ends up seriously injured or dead with very little or no warning.
Our chinese Nut is a lone chinese, we got him alone after he fell out with his brother. We're experienced with keeping dwarf pairs/groups - including a volatile pair of hybrids at one stage, but we're not ready to risk a pair of chinese. There's just too high a chance they'll fall out suddenly and seriously badly, we're not prepared to risk our hams getting seriously injured because we thought we/pet shops knew better than the people with real and useful experience with the species. And thats from people who do know and follow every single guideline there is about keeping hams together.

Would you mind explaining what "features" increase the risk of the pair turning on each other? If you mean things like only 1 wheel, 1 water bottle, I'm fixing that as soon as I can get to PetSmart.

evel_lin
04-08-2013, 12:02 AM
Would you mind explaining what "features" increase the risk of the pair turning on each other? If you mean things like only 1 wheel, 1 water bottle, I'm fixing that as soon as I can get to PetSmart.

The shelving is a big issue, it can cause one hamster to become territorial over "their" shelf. For pairs you need a large single level floor space, two of everything and generally to scatter feed or have a large enough food bowl they can both use it at the same time. Chinese are notoriously difficult to keep together so are generally regarded as solitary like syrians. They can get aggressive very quickly with little warning

kyrilliondaemon
04-08-2013, 09:02 AM
What evel_lin said. Basically most of the things about the cage are increasing the risk of trouble.
And fixing things as soon as you get to petsmart isn't really much help if the chinese turn on each other before you get there... You should've known and sorted all of this before you got them and to be honest I'd not be handing out chinese advice if I was in your situation.

HammieLover95
04-08-2013, 10:02 AM
I'm sorry if it comes across like I'm acting like an expert. There's a lot of contraversity concerning compatability of hamsters and many people have different opinions.

kyrilliondaemon
04-08-2013, 10:05 AM
Yeah, but I still think its best to thoroughly research a subject before offering advice on it and you don't seem to have thoroughly researched the topics you're offering advice about.

HammieLover95
04-08-2013, 10:46 AM
I agree. I have done research and my opinion is that 2 male Chinese hamsters from the same litter stand a good chance of compatability. However, I haven't kept Chinese dwarf hamsters very long, so I won't advise other people on their care till I have more experience.

kyrilliondaemon
04-08-2013, 10:48 AM
I agree. I have done research and my opinion is that 2 male Chinese hamsters from the same litter stand a good chance of compatability. However, I haven't kept Chinese dwarf hamsters very long, so I won't advise other people on their care till I have more experience.

Er... Your research probably wasn't on HC or many good websites then. The vast majority agree that all chinese are safer solitary.
And your research still missed a lot of basic things like cages needed to help a pair stay together? How can you have researched properly and missed the basics like that?

HammieLover95
04-08-2013, 10:59 AM
Er... Your research probably wasn't on HC or many good websites then. The vast majority agree that all chinese are safer solitary.
And your research still missed a lot of basic things like cages needed to help a pair stay together? How can you have researched properly and missed the basics like that?

My research did not come from the Internet, but from a variety of hamster books. Please also take into consideration that although I know you don't mean it, your words are a little hurtful to me. I'm just a kid trying my best with a pair of hamsters, and also, many people have kept Chinese hamsters together or even in herds with encouraging results.

kyrilliondaemon
04-08-2013, 11:04 AM
Most hamster books are out of date... And many people have kept syrians in pairs/groups too... It doesn't mean its a good idea I'm afraid. Its risky enough keeping the "social" species of hamster in pairs and groups, and most recent research/information indicates that chinese shouldn't really be listed as a social species.

And I'm sorry my words are hurtful, but your comments left me quite concerned that hamsters would get badly injured if people followed your advice without more research.

Just to be clear - I think its great you have an opinion, I just kinda feel that if your opinions are going to disagree with people who base their views on recent/current research (like Kissa) its best to be able to defend them on experience or other recent research rather than books which are known to be out of date.

Sheldon
04-08-2013, 12:50 PM
would anyone recomend the Rotastak Adventure Zone from pets at home

evel_lin
04-08-2013, 12:51 PM
would anyone recomend the Rotastak Adventure Zone from pets at home

Probably not, it's no where near big enough

kyrilliondaemon
04-08-2013, 12:52 PM
Probably not, it's no where near big enough

Yeah... What they said.

Ilovehamsters
04-08-2013, 03:18 PM
Do your research, it will pay off bare in mind with russians/hybrids and chinese you want to be careful as they are diabetic prone.
WW- Cute little characters with quite an appetite, I have seen.
Robo-Hamsters full with energy and never stop, quite escape artists and more of a look not touch animal but its all down to the hamster.
Syrian-Sure you know about them as you have them.
Chinese- Quite a shy hamster, sometimes only liked to be watched not handled, and again are escape artists and are very similar to mice.
Hybrids/Russians whatever you want to call them these guys are little cuties, normally okay with handling but are known to be ''nippy'' not at all is that true if you tame them! :D
So hopefully this helped you out! :D
Can't wait to see the new hammy! :D