PDA

View Full Version : Pip the rescue :)

head2head
05-24-2008, 03:57 AM
You might remember a couple of weeks ago I posted about a rescue black eyed white russian ham at a local rescue. Well, I've just been and picked him up and he's wandering round his gabber having an explore :).

He's a lovely little chap; the people at the rescue were a bit wary of him and called him a 'ninja hamster' cos he didn't like being picked up, but I picked him up out of his bed and we was fine after giving my finer a nibble and working out I wasn't food! I'll have pics as soon as he's settled a bit. I just thought you guys would want to know :).

He's currently called Pip and I think I'm going to keep it that way - it suits the little guy. I'm not too sure what he thinks of his new sand bath though...

souffle
05-24-2008, 04:56 AM
Welcome to HC Pip. Great to hear is is settling already and has a lovely forever home with you :lol:

05-24-2008, 05:53 AM
That's fabulous news! I'm so glad you've finally got him - and talked Paul round. :wink: Pip sounds like a little sweetie so looking forward to seeing some pics. xxx

heleni0
05-24-2008, 05:59 AM
Aww yey. My Pip would like to give your Pip a high five :P

head2head
05-24-2008, 07:32 AM
Managed to get a pick of him tucking into some millet earlier. Its a bit blurry cos I took it on my phone, but you get the idea!

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p199 ... 008073.jpg (http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p199/head2head83/24052008073.jpg)

cloptonite
05-26-2008, 01:35 AM
Oh congrats on your new hammy!!

I have recently got one just like him!! He has a little friend too.
I have found myself completely besotted by them, how about you?

They are so different to the syrians. They seem so content in their little home together, no escape attempts as of yet,lol. They are also very happy to be handled :shock: The little white one of mine ( Gumble ) actually reminds me of my jack russell , he's so small, but doesn't seem phased by anything :lol:

Well done for rescuing him, I hope he brings you much pleasure, and you him :wink:

Bailey-Benji
05-26-2008, 05:55 AM
oooh yay - you got him at last!

Congrats - he's adorable!

head2head
05-26-2008, 09:10 AM
Thanks guys - he's a reall little sweety, though I'm starting to wonder if the little fella is diabetic. He seems to smell rather a lot more then my syrian boys and is drinking a fair bit. I might be wrong but I'm going to keep him on a diabetic diet just in case. Is Harry Hamster a suitable mix for a diabetic ham?

He's also scratching rather a lot. I'm not sure if this is normal and its just that I'm noticing it more cos he's out more than the others, or whether he might have mites or something.

Is there anything I should be looking out for?

He also pounced and bit me today, but them climbed straight onto my hand and came out for a cuddle. I think he's a wee bit confused...misunderstood is how I see him at the moment! :)

Nicolapompicola
05-26-2008, 12:44 PM
If he's on shavings, perhaps he's allergic to them.. That usually makes hammies scratch quite a bit!

05-26-2008, 01:29 PM
Thanks guys - he's a reall little sweety, though I'm starting to wonder if the little fella is diabetic. He seems to smell rather a lot more then my syrian boys and is drinking a fair bit. I might be wrong but I'm going to keep him on a diabetic diet just in case. Is Harry Hamster a suitable mix for a diabetic ham?

He's also scratching rather a lot. I'm not sure if this is normal and its just that I'm noticing it more cos he's out more than the others, or whether he might have mites or something.

Is there anything I should be looking out for?

He also pounced and bit me today, but them climbed straight onto my hand and came out for a cuddle. I think he's a wee bit confused...misunderstood is how I see him at the moment! :)

Harry Hamster is good for diabetics - but you need to take the corn and peas out. Lots of protein, complex carbs and low fat will help regulate his blood sugars....and obviously no sugary snacks, fruit or carrots for little Pip.

NaomiR
05-26-2008, 11:35 PM
I'm sorry I don't know anything about diabetes (reading up on it is on my "to do" list) but he is one GORGEOUS campbells I'm really glad you got him, he's a lucky fella, well done :D

head2head
05-27-2008, 01:14 AM
Thanks for all the advice - I think I'm going to have to do a bit of research into foods he can have then :). I'm not too good when it comes to nutrition and stuff - what has complex carbs in?

*feels a bit thick*

head2head
05-29-2008, 06:26 AM
Sorry to double post, but just to say that Pip came out properly yesterday. It took a bit of persuasion and he had a bit of a nip at my fingers to start with, but was fine once I got him in my hand :).

He seems to enjoy digging in his Gabber as well - I'm hoping he's not getting too stressed being in a big cage. What sort of behaviour should I be looking out for to tell if he's stressed or not?

05-29-2008, 06:52 AM
Thanks for all the advice - I think I'm going to have to do a bit of research into foods he can have then :). I'm not too good when it comes to nutrition and stuff - what has complex carbs in?

*feels a bit thick*

Complex carbs are wholemeal bread & pasta, wholegrain rice, wholegrain couscous, etc.

When I get home tonight, I'll PM you a link to a really good support group for diabetic hamster (owners!) that is a mine of useful information that I used when I had my diabetic Campbell. xx

head2head
05-29-2008, 07:24 AM
Ta muchly ELC. I'm not entirely sure if he is diabetic, but I think I'm going to keep him on a diabetic diet anyway just to be on the safe side.