PDA

View Full Version : Chewing and cuts

muffin133
03-21-2013, 04:27 PM
My Syrian hamster, Bean, seems to like chewing everything apart from what she's meant to! I had to move her out of a wire cage to a big cage I made because it was literally constant chewing on the bars. Now the only thing she can find to chew is the wire holding her water bottle on, or the water bottle spout itself. I did try putting the water bottle on with one of those holders with suckers, but she'd pull it off somehow. She's had a little cut on the side of her mouth from scratching herself on the wire holding the bottle on. She has loads of toys to chew, but she seems to ignore anything wooden. What else can I try? I don't want her to end up having overgrown teeth or damaging them badly on the metal spout. Any help would be appreciated.

Pompompoms
03-21-2013, 04:33 PM
If she is insistent on chewing the water bottle, try changing it for a bowl and see how she gets on. Put it up on something so she doesn't burrow about underneath it, and just let her have it for a couple of days to see :)

Lougarry
03-21-2013, 04:34 PM
I think you can also buy metal bottle guards to shield them from sharp teeth :)

kyrilliondaemon
03-21-2013, 04:35 PM
A tip I heard through a work colleague was to rub the hamsters food/treats over the wooden chews. Apparently it worked fantastically with the ham his son tried it with :)

muffin133
03-22-2013, 05:39 AM
Great ideas, thank you! Will try them all out and see what happens. She seems to love those treats with seeds on but I don't want to keep giving her sugary stuff like that :(