PDA

View Full Version : Needing to rant...

petal10
03-18-2013, 11:12 AM
I'm so annoyed with job applications :( I spent hours and hours and hours on an application.... then, when you submit it you get an automatic invitation to online psychometric tests. I just did the tests and scored "exceptional" in one area, got perfect scores in the second area but only "average" in the third area. Next thing I know I get an immediate automated email telling me I have failed (presumably because of the "average" mark in the third area).

It's so annoying because they haven't even bothered to look at my application, which I feel is genuinely strong. Grrr why can't they ask you to do the tests first, and then only progress you to the actual application if you are good enough? It wouldn't make any difference to them but would save me a lot of time :(

newcastlemam
03-18-2013, 11:14 AM
I am sick of applying for jobs which I never get invited to an interview for, I think they fob me off as soon as they see I am a student with 2 kids.

iwasbornwright
03-18-2013, 12:46 PM
Don't even get me started with job applications!! I absolutely despise them. The majority of them want to know what colour your poop is! Honestly. I could rant on for hours. I only got a proper job at 18 because I was lucky. I spent my entire sixth form/college life desperately searching for a part time job.

If you've not got experience then they won't bother with you. I hate it. So glad I found my job that I love, if I hadn't I think I would have given up.

Becky x

HammieandMerlin
03-18-2013, 01:58 PM
I can't stand online applications. I have been applying to one place every time the wanted sign comes up for a year, and I meet all of their qualifications, but for some reason always get overlooked, then today, at the same place, they offered me a job in person because I helped a customer, I was like !!!!!!! why do online stuff if you want caring workers?!?!?!?!

racinghamster
03-19-2013, 09:21 AM
I have a friend who lives in Essex and lived in central London most of her life and she was recently made redundant from the large company Deloitte. She is fully qualified and has had numerous interviews for lawyers offices and medical libraries, yet she hasn`t had any luck at all. Given that I left the school with an O` level in art, I doubt I would get a job sweeping the streets now!!! Once you reach 48, it`s an age thing. If I could retire tomorrow I would. Sadly, I will have to `strive`....or is that `skive` for another 19 years....!

I`m going to start buying a lottery scratch card once a week and hope to hit £100,000 and retire on my savings! :mad: I can dream...

hamstarburst
03-19-2013, 03:19 PM
It totally sucks. Applying for jobs is like bending over and saying "Ok when you're ready you can kick me as hard as you possibly can" And you have to say it with a smile.

Mushiemallows
03-19-2013, 03:24 PM
I hate how they do it all online now. It gives you no chance to express yourself or anything. :/

newcastlemam
03-20-2013, 04:23 AM
I hate the fact they ask for a cv I just dont think you can show your qualities through a cv

ham888
03-20-2013, 05:13 AM
CVs are awkward things at best but, having had to shortlist people and also sat on interview panels they are still a necessary awkwardness. From the other side of the table so's to speak, I've seen some very weak CVs and it is worth investing some time in this and also keeping it up to date and not too long. Mind you, I've not done this for a few years and not since we also moved to online applications! The jobs we have all require people to meet whatever criteria the job entails and those must be addressed in the CV while not making it into a book - hard work...