PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal?

nblackwell33
03-04-2013, 09:37 PM
I have a Syrian hamster who is about 12 weeks old. I got him a couple of weeks ago. He has settled in nicely, and taming is going well I think.

I have an empty walk-in closet, so when he's awake and I can't sleep, I put a ball with treats in his cage. He hops into it, and I take him into the closet with me.

I block the space under the door, open the ball and see what happens. He comes out quickly and runs around. He even runs around me and sniffs me.

He still jumps out of my hands when I try to scoop him up from underneath, but knock on wood, he hasn't bitten me.

Well tonight, after about 20 minutes he found a spot, stretched out, laid really flat and fell asleep for about five minutes.

I didn't move. I just let him sleep, then I gently nudged him back into his ball and got him back into his cage, where he got a big drink and headed for his napping corner - not his nest.

A few minutes later, I heard him in his wheel, so I think he is OK, but I don't know if it's normal for a hamster to cat nap like that right next to me.

What do you think?

And by the way, when he jumps he scares me. I am always sitting on the carpeted floor, but he leaps and lands in some really bizarre angles, and I worry he's going to get hurt.

DrKMcK
03-04-2013, 09:49 PM
LOL. What a great little play space you've found for him. All baby hammies do that leaping thing. Staying close to the floor (Good that it's carpeted) is a good idea. I've been startled more times than I can count when a baby hammy pulls that jumping stunt on me. :-) . As for him taking a nap right by you, you should be honored. He trusts you enough to take 40 winks after he's run around and tired himself out. 20 minutes of buzzing about when you're only 12 weeks old can be exhausting. :-)

kjwc92
03-05-2013, 12:53 AM
I wouldn't worry about the naps, our hammy does the same thing, we have a very large corner sofa that covers the majority of the room and he will find a little space next to his favourite cushion and take a nap, its so so cute :)

We got ours out for floor time yesterday while we cleaned their cages and tig has now discovered how to get over the pen bars and everytime I got him he would jump from my hands to the floor from quite a height. It's carpeted and e didn't seem to hurt himself but he landed in some horrible positions.

I think we will just have to put him in te ball next time

gellerbing
03-05-2013, 07:30 AM
Oh yeah they will take random naps in and out of the cage, you should feel honoured as it means he trusts you, well done :) xx

nblackwell33
03-05-2013, 10:35 AM
Awwww. He trusts me. That is so sweet, and he's so adorable when he does it.

I was just worried that he was ill.

Thank you all for the reassurance.

I also learned that he's a climber. I used some mesh to block the crack under the door, and he scaled it like it was nothing. If he didn't have a glass tank, he'd be climbing like crazy, so I'm working on a way to make him a second level with a ladder and a hammock.

sfeaston
03-05-2013, 01:28 PM
my robo fell asleep in my hands and i was thrilled to bits! would love my syrian to have a nap near me!!

Arraminta
03-05-2013, 01:38 PM
OMG!!! Uber jealous to have a snoozing hammy :0). He obviously felt comfortable enough to nap!! My smudge naps sitting up!!!!

BethPower
03-05-2013, 02:30 PM
Lol, I love it when my boys fall asleep next to me. We often cuddle up together (only one hamster at a time though) under a blanket and one of my fondest memories is when Patrick curled up on my foot and dozed off. It is just so special to both be there quietly, makes such a difference from when they are running around getting into scrapes!! Here's to many more sleepy moments!!