PDA

View Full Version : Climbing and bar chewing

riri
03-01-2013, 04:02 AM
We've always pretty much let Bruce (dwarf) do his thing and it's always worked, however this is one thing that has got to me a bit

He's had a mini duna until recently (I'm not a fan of mini dunas so he now has a ZZ1) but he was climbing ontop of the wheel or his house, depending on the day, and then hanging upside down from the bars and chewing them

He'd sometimes have a good hang and sort of move around up there but the bar chewing was so awfully loud I ended up taking the wheel out and moving the house as it sounded horrific!!

Should I put something in his new space for him to climb on as maybe this is something he enjoys? He's a pretty playful thing and he's not really handled as he's pretty nippy as his sight is going (he's getting on a bit bless him)

I'm just a bit worried about him really, don't want him to be stressin' :( Any advice is appreciated!x

Scampi16
03-01-2013, 04:14 AM
I would give him more toys to play/climb on, just not ones where he can reach the bars when stood on them, he might need some gnawing toys too, do you have any?
You said you took his wheel out, have you considered giving him a flying saucer to run on instead of his wheel, as he might not burn all his energy off.

riri
03-01-2013, 04:17 AM
He has some mineral blocks now for his noms :)
He has a flying saucer in his new cage, not that he can use it! I got him the 16.5 one (which I was advised was the right size in the pet shop?) and although he tries so *so* hard he's not very good on it! I'm pretty sure the mini duna wheel didn't work anyway :(

I'll get him some nice toys he can climb on etc then to distract him, thank you :)

Scampi16
03-01-2013, 04:49 AM
He has some mineral blocks now for his noms :)
He has a flying saucer in his new cage, not that he can use it! I got him the 16.5 one (which I was advised was the right size in the pet shop?) and although he tries so *so* hard he's not very good on it! I'm pretty sure the mini duna wheel didn't work anyway :(

I'll get him some nice toys he can climb on etc then to distract him, thank you :)

Mini Duna wheels are crap, not worth the plastic they are made from.
6.5inch is right for a dwarf (I believe you said he is a dwarf?), 6.5 not good for a syrian.
You may want to get other gnaw toys rather than just a mineral block as they don't always like to chew them/or not enough to keep them occupied.

Polo
03-01-2013, 05:11 AM
You could try getting him some hanging treats. I know it's not exactly perfect that the bars that you can hang things from are also the only door (I think I'm right in thinking that.....?)
but hanging toys keep my hammy occupied for ages.

riri
03-01-2013, 05:29 AM
Mini Duna wheels are crap, not worth the plastic they are made from.
6.5inch is right for a dwarf (I believe you said he is a dwarf?), 6.5 not good for a syrian.
You may want to get other gnaw toys rather than just a mineral block as they don't always like to chew them/or not enough to keep them occupied.
Yeah he's a dwarf :) Maybe he just needs a lot more practice haha! He seems to want to run across the middle :confused: poor thing
Do you have any you could recommend?
You could try getting him some hanging treats. I know it's not exactly perfect that the bars that you can hang things from are also the only door (I think I'm right in thinking that.....?)
but hanging toys keep my hammy occupied for ages.
I want to get him one I saw that was like a 2 level hanging thing, it did have metal chain though and I wasn't sure if that would be ok? Can't find it now :( I do have a hanging treat I got in P@H but I can't put it up till I get some mesh etc incase he escapes haha!

Ooh I found it:
http://media.mediazs.com/bilder/wood/hanging/bridge/for/small/pets/1/300/97583_trixie_haengebruecke_1.jpg

POLAR WHITES
03-01-2013, 05:48 AM
I find my syrian bar chews when he gets board, I change his toys every other day to stop him bar chewing.

kyrilliondaemon
03-01-2013, 05:54 AM
I don't think he'd chew a metal chain... But none of ours have ever been very fussed with ladders to be honest :(

newcastlemam
03-01-2013, 05:57 AM
Yeah he's a dwarf :) Maybe he just needs a lot more practice haha! He seems to want to run across the middle :confused: poor thing

I want to get him one I saw that was like a 2 level hanging thing, it did have metal chain though and I wasn't sure if that would be ok? Can't find it now :( I do have a hanging treat I got in P@H but I can't put it up till I get some mesh etc incase he escapes haha!

Ooh I found it:
http://media.mediazs.com/bilder/wood/hanging/bridge/for/small/pets/1/300/97583_trixie_haengebruecke_1.jpg

My Lola has that hanging bridge and she loves it I put treats on and she loves to climb up to get them she also swings it and scares me lol, The metal hasnt bothered her I just keep an eye to make sure she doesnt show to much interest in the metal chains.

riri
03-01-2013, 06:21 AM
I find my syrian bar chews when he gets board, I change his toys every other day to stop him bar chewing.
All the more reason for me to spend money on Bruce I suppose :P
I don't think he'd chew a metal chain... But none of ours have ever been very fussed with ladders to be honest :(
I think Bruce just likes to get as high as possible, and I'd like to have more things he can grind his nails on too so I think wood would help?:confused:
My Lola has that hanging bridge and she loves it I put treats on and she loves to climb up to get them she also swings it and scares me lol, The metal hasnt bothered her I just keep an eye to make sure she doesnt show to much interest in the metal chains.
That's good to know! I was a bit hesitant about it as all the pictures are of rats which makes me think it must be huuuge but either way I can take it apart and find a use for it :)

kyrilliondaemon
03-01-2013, 06:25 AM
Wood should help I think.. Dunno, we never considered it for claws lol. If he likes to get high maybe he will like it :)

DrKMcK
03-01-2013, 06:36 AM
Wood really won't do that much for his nails, and as he's getting older he'll need something to help keep his nails trim. Get some terracotta pieces (see if a plant nursey has any pieces as they do break pots now and then :-)), and put them under his water bottle. This is because you can count on him walking on them at least daily because he'll go for water. (Broken pieces should be sanded down a bit to remove sharp edges so hammy doesn't get cut). Or you can get some pebbles and make a small pile of them for him to climb on and they'll also grind his nails down as he runs about on them.

Polo
03-01-2013, 09:53 AM

Ooh I found it:

Ah, the mesh is a good idea first :)

Gizmo has a toy like this but his has a hammock underneath it, well, had a hammock underneath it. I spilt it into two toys for him and hung that hammock separately. He seems to enjoy them both either way.