PDA

View Full Version : robo dwarf hamster wont drink.

baybaygurl19
02-21-2013, 07:02 PM
I recently adopted a robo dwarf hamster the other day and he isn't using his water bottle. I also tried a water bowl but he swims in It. The only way is a plastic syringe with water but idk how many drops to give him and how often to do.it. any advice is greatly appreciated.

racinghamster
02-22-2013, 01:30 AM
Hi. First of all, you need to make sure (a) the bottle you are using is easy for a small roborovski to use and (b) the bottle is low enough for the hamster to reach?

Classic water bottles are the easiest to use and come in mouse and hamster sizes. The rabbit size is too large. What cage is he residing in and how do you hang the bottle? Can he reach it?

souffle
02-22-2013, 01:52 AM
Remember they do not drink an awful lot either as they live in dry places in the wild and are adapted. They would get their fluids from something like veg and fruit and insects they find. If you are feeding fresh fruit or veg he won't be thirsty.
If the bottle is nice and low (you can make a ramp up to it with bedding if need be) and the ball is free running water when you touch it (check daily) he will be drinking enough. I wouldn't use the sippy type bottle as they are hard for tiny tongues to work. Use a classic mouse bottle or similar. Rub the spout with cucumber to attract him too it and he will soon get the hang.
If he is active, eating well and looks glossy and happy he is not dehydrated! You won't notice the bottle go down as they drink so little so don't look for big daily changes.

Kaztrekie
02-22-2013, 09:43 AM
I had same worry as sam did nt seem to e king much water at all
I check the bottle daily to see if bubbles are showing when he's drinking or when I run finger over end.i have ordered one of the wooden cubes to hold the bottle in .

baybaygurl19
02-22-2013, 03:45 PM
Thank you all.I did not know that they didnt drink alot. He has a petsmart recommended bottle and cage and the bottle works. I just have never seen him go by the water bottle.

racinghamster
02-23-2013, 01:10 AM
My robo drinks at least three or four times during the day, even if it`s just little drinks, they still need constant access to fresh water. If you are in the US, the bottles and cages over there are usually different from the ones over here, so reliability could be making sure the bottles you use are ball-baring ones and not those sippy types. You would need to post an image of the bottle for members to advise whether it was any good.

Using two bottles is always a good idea aswell incase one goes wrong.

HollyHamster
03-02-2013, 07:20 PM
If you're concerned about whether or not he is drinking, simply marking the water level on the bottle and then coming back some odd days later to see if its dropped at all, will show for sure if he is or not. I am more than certain that he is drinking though, as he's been alive for this long.

DwarfHammy
11-20-2013, 08:53 AM
I recently adopted a robo dwarf hamster the other day and he isn't using his water bottle. I also tried a water bowl but he swims in It. The only way is a plastic syringe with water but idk how many drops to give him and how often to do.it. any advice is greatly appreciated.

My new robo hammys don't seem interested in drinking either 😭