PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid dwarf really trying to hurt me?

blackalpaca
02-20-2013, 01:00 AM
I let my hammy come onto my hands and she broke skin. I putgloves on just to see how much she would try and she wouldnt let go and was really trying. Ive had her since thursday and at first she seemed real good but now idk there has to be a way to teach her not to bite into me.

racinghamster
02-20-2013, 01:36 AM
I wouldn`t use gloves as these will just provoke a hamster to have a go. You need to allow your hamster time and never force the issue. Let her walk into a jar or a fleecy pocket pouch and over time, just gently lift it up a few inches and then place it down again. You don`t need to use your hands at this stage. She needs to feel secure and safe when your around and remember too that her cage is her territory, so she also need to get used to your hand spot cleaning around her and not rushing up to bite you. If this is what she`s doing, she`s showing signs of cage aggression, but that`s not unusual. A lot of hamsters do this but are fine when out of their cage. I prefer to give the hamster it`s space and let him/her decide what they want to do.

You need to start a routine where she isn`t disturbed during the day when hamsters like to sleep. Or take the lid off her cage and place the base (with her inside it) low down where you can sit next to it and let her decide whether she wants to climb out and play on you. But keeping her cage open so she knows she can race back there is essential as she may feel nervous if taken out of her safety zone.

Hope this helps. x