PDA

View Full Version : Feeling guilty about considering rehoming guinea pigs =(

ArabianMagicat
02-18-2013, 08:47 PM
So, I guess I am hoping maybe someone will say that I am not a horrible pet owner. Here are the circumstances:

I have grown up with cats and dogs all my life, and as a sophmore in college, I got a guinea pig named Penny. I already had a hamster, but I wanted something cuddly that I could hold and watch tv with, and my apartment complex did not allow cats/my roommate was allergic to cats. After having Penny for a couple months, I got a second guinea pig (ginger) who passed away over the summer, then I got a third from a shelter (Butterscotch) because Penny is much happier when she has a friend.

Anyway, I ended up moving and getting a kitten a year ago, who is the love of my life and a lap cat. Now I stay with my boyfriend all the time, and I feel bad because my guinea pig cage is big, but it is the minimum space requirement for two guinea pigs. I love them but it is time consuming to sweep their poop up twice a day, refill their hay and then clean up the stray pieces so the cats do not throw it up, veggies every day, and Penny doesn't really play around when she is out like she used to, she and butterscotch just stay in the corner.

I feel like it would be best to rehome them, but I feel horrible because I have never thought I would have to rehome a pet. I planned on having them like 5 to eight years, but its harder to fit them into my lifestyle now. Now I've only had Penny a year and a half, and Butterscotch for 9 months.

So I'm not sure what to do :/ They aren't in the living room whereas they used to be in my bedroom in my apartment, so maybe if I set a schedule and try to spend more time with them. It's just hard when they run away when I try to pick them up, no matter how much I work with them. I'm not sure what would be best for them! But I'm not sure if I can give them up!

DrKMcK
02-18-2013, 10:33 PM
If you aren't able to give the piggies the care they need and deserve, you need to consider what is best for their welfare. People's situations do change. If you really cannot take the proper care of them, for whatever reason, you need to rehome them. You owe them the consideration of finding a good home for them, making sure that whoever adopts them will truely care for them for the rest of their lives.
You started out by asking if someone could tell you that you aren't a horrible pet owner. Well, you aren't. If you were, you wouldn't be worrying about it, or about what you should do for the piggies. We all make decisions that may not work later on. I'm just sorry your piggies pay the price. It sounds like they aren't getting the attention they really need if they are running away from you. It also sounds like you don't have the time available for them that they need. That should really answer your question about what to do about them.

Cookiemistress
02-19-2013, 01:38 AM
Don't feel so bad, i had 2 young rats to keep my older boy company and when i met my fiancee i found i didn't have the time i used to, to spend with them so i made the very hard choice of rehoming them, there are alot of people out here that have been through something similar to you with not having the time for them now. So dont feel bad you had the best intentions at heart, if you can't give them the care and space they need then it's maybe best to rehome them.

racinghamster
02-19-2013, 02:03 AM
I agree with the other two members but it`s also a warning never to take on pets when your in college unless it`s something you really want to commit to over that pets lifetime/lifespan. Guinea pigs live for around 8 to 10 years, depending on their care and genetics. They can be more expensive and time demanding aswell due to their dietery needs and clean outs. My friend has a pair and she adores them, but she`s had to make cetain adjustments to their housing to keep them together.

I would say do what`s best for them and try to find them a good home that has guinea pig knowledge, rather than just advertise them as kids pets and they end up in a worse situation. Even with minimal care, they are better with you under those circumstances than ending up in a home that might neglect them because they are skittish or can`t be tamed. Some people just don`t have the patience or the understanding for it.

The cat has taken top place now, but the pigs should also be given the same respect and either kept well, or found a nice home where they will get more attention.

SprinkleHamster
02-19-2013, 07:04 PM
Don't feel guilty about rehoming an animal because in the end you are doing the best you can for that animal. I had to rehome a lizard which had been rehomed to me, and in the end my lizard had a much happier life with an absolute lizard enthusisit. Sometimes the best pet parents are the ones that know when it is time to not be a pet parent.