PDA

View Full Version : My Russian Female Dwarf Hamsters! eek

IIGemma
02-17-2013, 02:26 PM
Hi all,

Wondering about the behaviours of my hamsters. I know quite a bit about all types of rodents, I currently have the two drawfs and Gerbil. Before them I had a mouse, who recently passed :( and two Syrian hamsters (where not caged together) so I have never had two hamsters housed together before.

I have come across a lot of hamsters sqabbling and been known to kill and eat one another whilst on my Diploma, but have never seen what my hamsters do.

Anyway too the point!

I bought my two female Russian Drawfs at the age of 9-10 weeks from P-A-H and they are litter mates, a white and ginger one (Ariel) and the dark grey one (Eva), where the same size. Their cage is large with a wheel and 2 sleeping places and toys/hiding places. I have had them for 3 months now and they seem to be fighting, no injury has occured but I can't risk it so I seperated them. I never really could see what happens until I got them out today and put them on a chair and filmed them.

Before I filmed them what I normally saw was Eva climbing on Ariel and I think was biting her (I don't know if she was trying to mount or dominate her maybe neither) then she would chase her and it would end up Ariel on her back whilst Eva would be scrambbled on her squeaking. It happens out of know where I see Ariel just walking along and then Eva attacks her.
They normally sleep together but these past two weeks Eva won't share the bed with Ariel and Ariel won't sleep on her own, so when she trys to get in alot of squeeking goes on.

Now when I filmed them the first 5 mins they where fine trotting along and so on then Eva would come up to Ariel sniff her and then climb on her from behind or the side and chew her right ear, Ariel did not seem too bothered until Eva starting tugging it so she tried to run away (I parted them when this happend). When I picked Ariel up I noticed she had a slghtly red ear so Eva must of been doing this constant when together in the cage. They are now seperated but I just want to know why Eva was doing this to Ariel??? Is this common in Dwarfs?

souffle
02-17-2013, 02:31 PM
It sounds like dominance behaviour. They are reaching as age where they are maturing and full of hormones. If the bickering and squeaking was getting worse and Ariel has a red ear then I think you have done the right thing in separating. It could easily escalate suddenly. They will likely be a bit quiet for a week or so but should settle after that and enjoy life on their own.