PDA

View Full Version : hamsters outside?

Ness
05-16-2008, 07:21 AM
Is it ok to play with hamsters outside? Even though I've seen a few pics I just want to make sure.

souffle
05-16-2008, 07:32 AM
We take ours out though you have to watch them like a hawk as they will nibble all sorts of unsuitable stuff. If you let them on the grass just be sure it has never been weed - killered or had any feeding sprays or anything. Watch out for cats and swooping hawks and remember they don't particularly like hot sun shining on them. Popping out for a 5 min photoshoot is fine though :lol:

Ness
05-16-2008, 07:37 AM
you see I have done it once before and had to lock my cat inside for a bit (hes a hunting cat) but he was happy being able to sleep on the bed for a change.

do you think if I put a playpen on the grass it'll be ok for them? the grass doesn't have anything funny on just weeds sometimes.

souffle
05-16-2008, 07:45 AM
You have to watch the weeds ness. Like daisies and buttercups might be toxic to hammies but they don't know not to eat them. As long as you check it and stay with them a playpen is fine for a little while. :lol:

Ness
05-16-2008, 07:48 AM
I think they are just dandelions. Will watch them, I don't want to lose them, also I like watching them have fun. :)

sarahh
05-16-2008, 07:57 AM
Hi ya we take ours outisde to play like in the hamster fort or to run on the grass a bit. All ours do is nibble the grass and wonder around they seem to like it also they sniff the air new smells to them. If its hot we put their cages outside.

Sarah x

Holly
05-16-2008, 09:16 AM
I also take mine into the garden - only on very, very warm evenings if they are awake and only under direct supervision, it's lovely for photos! Mine seem to really like it, they have a nibble on the grass and a good old sniff around.

Last year I also carried my cages out onto the patio on fine evenings - I only had six cages last summer, now I've got approximately twenty-six so I doubt I'll be carrying them all out this year! :P

leedsgurl
05-16-2008, 10:39 AM
I've taken Stewie outside once and he loved it! (some of u have probably seen the pics already) and he had a nibble of the grass (no chemicals or anything had been put on the grass) so he was fine. The path helped file his nails down a bit too :-)