PDA

View Full Version : Harry has diarrohea

Lolo
05-16-2008, 04:50 AM
Past couple of days Harry has been a bit quiet - just thought he was having a couple of lazy days as it has been very hot he has been enjoyinh iceberg lettuce out of the fridge too to cool him down i thought.

I`m just back from shopping and Harry is up covered in diarrohea he seem quite lively and had a cuddle from me. It does smell of diarrohea am just hoping its not the unmentionable thing?? :cry:

Lolo
05-16-2008, 05:05 AM
I1ve just phoned vets hes going at 5.40 tonight.

Yaffle
05-16-2008, 05:08 AM
oh dear I hope he's ok.

Has Harry been having a lot of lettuce? It's just that a lot of wet food can cause stomach upsets and if he seems ok in himself it may be that as opposed to wet tail, fingers crossed for you both x

Lolo
05-16-2008, 05:14 AM
I`m so hoping so yaffle

souffle
05-16-2008, 07:09 AM
Lolo it is likely the iceberg lettuce. Lettuce should not be fed to hamsters unless in teeny tiny amounts as it contains a lot of fluid and can upset the movement of the bowel. They will just eat and eat the stuff until it does this. Stop all lettuce & veg for now and feed only dry foods. The vet will likely give some antibiotic to try and calm the bowel. It is usually given 1xday from a syringe. Ask for some probiotic like avipro to add to his water which helps the bowel heal. I am sure it is the lettuce and he will return to normal soon. Wet tail is not common in older hammies and those which have settled. It is usually due to stress in youngsters impairing their immune system and letting the bug get hold. He could have caught a bug but I still go with the lettuce. Hope he gets well very soon Lolo. Every thing is crossed for him. Keep that food dry though for now.

Spuds Mum
05-16-2008, 09:50 AM
Souffle has given some great advice Lolo - I think it may just be the lettuce too - lets hope Harry soon feels better :)

Lolo
05-16-2008, 10:39 AM
Thank you forall your advicesouflee.

I`m just back from the vets Harry has unfortunately got wet tail. Hes on Batril for 5 days. The vet thinks its the stress from the "bug " we all had and he was sneezing like mad at the vets tonight. so paws crossed he will be ok.

souffle
05-16-2008, 10:57 AM
Oh dear Lolo. Keep up with the Baytril. We find it best to use a towel to wrap them in then put the syringe into the side of the cheek and squish in the meds. I really hope he does well. Hang on in there Harry and you get well soon.

Holly
05-16-2008, 11:33 AM
Wishing him better, Lolo :?

Spuds Mum
05-16-2008, 12:40 PM
I'm sure Harry can't be in better hands Lolo - lets hope Harry gets well soon.
Best wishes
Teresa x

Lolo
05-17-2008, 01:53 AM
HELP the vet told me to put 0.1 ml of the antibiotic in his water??

He gave me 1ml of baytril oral solution 2.5%

souffle
05-17-2008, 08:20 AM
Initially our vet said to put it in the water but we said we were worried that our hammy was not drinking much so would not get much. He then said to give 0.1ml by syringe once a day so the dose would be the same Lolo however I don't know if the concentration of your meds would be the same as ours. How does Harry seem today and have you seen him drinking any water? They can sometimes taste the Baytril in the water and won't drink it. Could you phone the vet if he is not drinking and ask if you could give it straight to his mouth?

Basia
05-17-2008, 08:36 AM
Hi Lolo,
The vets always say wet-tail but it is much more likely to be diarrhea, still very serious.
I would give him the Baytril orally rather than in his water. Keep him warm and make sure he is drinking. Sometimes sick animals find it easier to drink out of a bowl than a bottle.
The dose is 0.1ml, one of my hamsters is on Baytril at the moment but I am putting hers in her porridge as she isn't taking it for a stomache upset.
Good luck, thinking of you and Harry, I hope he makes a full recovery.

Lolo
05-17-2008, 09:15 AM
Hi souflee and basia - ok harry has not moved from his bed all day -i have dug him out his hugeeeeeee nest he has made for himself and his bottom seems (quietly spoken )dry today although his skirt is abit of a sotter. i phoned the vet and he said to squirt a third of 0.1ml directly intohis mouth so will do this later i offered him water but did not entertain it at all oh i hope hes going to be ok
im worrying aBOUT BELLE GIZMO AND ROLY NOW
got them all in my bedroom away from harry and using universal hand washing and a spray to sanitise my hands
and souflee congratulations about your wee boy sorry i do read posts its just adding my bit thats hard

Basia
05-17-2008, 10:57 AM
You are doing everything you can for the other hamsters. Keep them separate and try and deal with Harry last. Have you got anyone else that can feed the others for a few days.
Hopefully Harry's diarrhea isn't viral but you are wise to take precautions.
Good Luck.

souffle
05-18-2008, 03:40 PM
If his bottom is dry Lolo that is good news. If I were you I would trim off his skirt for now if is is very messy. He won't miss it and will feel more comfy not having to groom it. Take it off short. It will grow when he is well. Try and keep him hydrated and eating. a hammies bowel needs to have food going through it to keep it working. Try and give him some rehdration fluid like plain dioralyte if he will not drink. Use the syringe every few hours. Do you think he is nibbling at night Lolo? are there any solid poos yet? If he is not eating at all you may need to resort to baby food or porridge to get something into him. If he is pooing he is likely eating so not so worrying. Don't you worry about posting Lolo. You just look after yourself and Harry. The others hammies will be OK as long as you are careful with the washing. I am rooting for wee Harry and it usually takes about 3 days for the meds to kick in so he should turnaround soon. I really hope so.

Lolo
05-19-2008, 02:55 AM
Thanks souflee update on harry. This morning i rudely woke him up to check bottom(he has nappy rash!! just wish i could clart on the drapoline) and to see if there are any poos.
he is now expecting me to hand feed him in bed!!! :roll: he eventually got up and had his much loved cuddle he is so thin but i thought his eyes were a bit more sparkly today and i saw him drinking yesterday :x
This is day 4 on meds now so hoping hes over the worst. Not seen any poos though.maybe he eating them ?? his food stock is enormous will get my daughter to snip his skirt dont want to have an accident with scissors there :oops:

souffle
05-19-2008, 03:22 AM
He does not sound well Lolo poor wee man. I am not sure about the lack of poos. He really should have something moving through his bowel and be doing something. I think you need to try and feed him babyfood. Get something like pasta and chicken and offer it on a spoon. Holly likes the Hipp organic one. Hand feed him if need be. I hope he is OK and glad to hear he has a bit more sparkle.

Spuds Mum
05-19-2008, 09:42 AM
Oh bless him, the little poppet. I agree with Souff, I think you really need to try to get him to be eating enough to see whether his bowels move and also to give him strength.

I agree about trimming the skirt, it will make him feel more comfortable Im sure.

I do hope he continues to get his sparkle back, but if he doesn't appear to be producing poops soon, I think another vet trip may be needed.

You are doing a fantastic nursing job though Lolo - he is a very lucky boy to be in such good hands (and I would be so happy to feed him his breakfast in bed as long as he eats bless him)
Teresax