PDA

View Full Version : Healthy Ham Food In the States?

JoeyH
02-08-2013, 07:52 PM
Is there anyone who knows of a nice healthy hamster food in the States? Unfortunately the ones I read the most about are only available overseas. Mo is a Dwarf but no one has been able to tell me any particulars and he's starting to look a little chunky to me (attached a couple of pics).

Admittedly, he has a broccoli addiction; it seems like when he does want to be interactive it's only when I have broccoli and he's always looking at me like, "Yo Momma, hook a Ham up with the nummy green stuff" and he just had some!

He doesn't like cheerios, ate a little bit of carrot then walked away. Likes bread almost as much as broccoli. Doesn't want the dried fruit or yogurt drops since I used them to get him to board his Mo Mobile to go to the vets last week. Baaaaad idea. Oh and he will dig through his dish to pick out the sunflower seeds, he doesn't want anything else. Looks like a dog diggin for a bone with the way the seeds go flying behind him!

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Proud momma of Mo a.k.a Mo Money a.k.a Mo Diddle a.k.a. Mo Mo Where'd ya go? :razz:

Stockannette
02-08-2013, 07:54 PM
Hazel Hamster. Available at Petco and/or Petsmart.

JoeyH
02-08-2013, 07:56 PM
Thank you Stockannette! I actually have both nearby :)

Stockannette
02-08-2013, 08:03 PM
Howdy, neighbor! Mo is cute!

Hazel looks kind of similar to what's in Mo's dish now, FYI... he may continue to pick though and get out his favorites. Carmelita has a "hidden dish" of Oxbow Healthy Handfuls for just this reason. The Oxbow was recommended by her vet, available there and also at Petco/Petsmart.

It's little loops that are easy to pick up - but all the same shape.

JoeyH
02-08-2013, 10:24 PM
Oxbow isn't a treat? Argh. I was looking at it and they told me it was something to give as just a treat because it wasn't the healthiest mix... I knew I should have read the back label better!

Digga
02-09-2013, 04:17 AM
I like Kaytee "Supreme fortified daily blend".

linford27
02-09-2013, 06:30 AM
Absolutley Hazel Hamster.

Mo is selective feeding, so when you feed him, I'd make sure he's eaten all the seeds before giving him more, otherwise he won't get all the nutrients/vitamins he needs.
Linford
x

Stockannette
02-10-2013, 11:20 AM
Oxbow isn't a treat? Argh. I was looking at it and they told me it was something to give as just a treat because it wasn't the healthiest mix... I knew I should have read the back label better!

As long as you get as close as you can to
Protein 19%
Fat 6%
Fiber 8%

And you can feed certain people foods to get closer to the optimal percentages.

JoeyH
02-11-2013, 09:16 AM
Thank you for all the advice :) I came across a post that said something about selective feeding and I realized the lil brat was being just that... a spoiled brat and a fat one at that LOL So I stopped letting him free graze and am now feeding him the recommended amount and letting it stay in his bowl until most is gone. I'm still using vitamin drops in his water and feeding him carrot and broccoli. He actually ate a cheerio yesterday and let me lift my hand up a bit with him in it.

The Petco here didn't have Hazel Hamster or Oxbow so I am going to check out Petsmart in Topeka on Saturday.

Again, thank you for all the wonderful advice and suggestions! I'm starting to feel like I have some knowledge on taking care of a happy Mo!

Eriklover555
02-14-2013, 04:57 PM
After spending hours trying to track down Hazel, I finally got someone at both Petco and Petsmart to tell me that they don't carry it in store any more. You can order it from Petsmart online, but I just order it from a local food delivery service.

JoeyH
02-15-2013, 03:08 PM
Thank you all for sharing and the guidance. I'm glad to know I can still order it online!

shiny
02-15-2013, 03:34 PM
As Mo is a dwarf, you need to be a bit careful as they can be prone to diabetes. I would avoid sugary treats such as yoghurt drops & cheerios. Too many nuts & sunflower seeds are not ideal either - everything in moderation :). Our dwarf Chinese Monty loves a millet spray as a treat or a teeny bit of cooked chicken or a piece of cooked pasta.

Kiki_3173
02-15-2013, 03:44 PM
After spending hours trying to track down Hazel, I finally got someone at both Petco and Petsmart to tell me that they don't carry it in store any more. You can order it from Petsmart online, but I just order it from a local food delivery service.

That's odd...maybe it's regional. I was just at Petsmart this afternoon and they had Hazel Hamster food. :-(

Biscotti
02-15-2013, 04:02 PM
I visit several Petsmarts in my area and some carry HH some don't. When they do they usually only have 2 or 3 bags tucked in a corner. I guess it's not very popular due to the high price tag compared to other food. :\

JoeyH: Since Mo is a dwarf prone to diabetes, try to pick out the corns and pea flakes from HH since they are high in sugar content. If Mo is willing to eat Oxbow regularly, I find a combination of lab blocks and see mix give the hams a good balance between nutrition and food variety.

strawberrysmom
02-17-2013, 10:37 AM
Our local Petsmart stocks it. I wish somewhere would stock Gerri Gerbil too. I can't get that online for affordable prices much less locally.

Anyway There is another pet site .... Something mountain in the address that has major sales on Hazel.

strawberrysmom
02-17-2013, 10:40 AM
http://www.petmountain.com/searchx/0/0/1/1/?s=hazel+hamster+food (http://www.petmountain.com/searchx/0/0/1/1/?s=hazel+hamster+food)

I am not sure what shipping brings it to but much cheaper it appears.

ArabianMagicat
02-22-2013, 05:24 PM
http://www.petmountain.com/searchx/0/0/1/1/?s=hazel+hamster+food (http://www.petmountain.com/searchx/0/0/1/1/?s=hazel+hamster+food)

I am not sure what shipping brings it to but much cheaper it appears.

Thanks for the useful site, I think it is an extra $1.50 than if you were to pay for it at petsmart or petco, but you save like five bucks if you buy multiple bags! Totally buying this when I get paid :D