PDA

View Full Version : Why does she do this when we pet her?!

rmarkham
02-04-2013, 11:51 PM
Hi guys!

I have 2 questions about my syrian girl, I've had her for a few weeks now...

1. Why is my girl chewing on her bars?!
She has 60 gallons of space to play in, including several chew toys, tubes and a wheel... WHY does she feel the need to chew on her bars?! It makes me feel terrible because I know it's bad for her!

Can I coat the bars with something to stop her from chewing?

I just spent a lot of money to get her this nice cage... she literally has 60 U.S gallons to play! How can she be bored?! Does she do it for attention? I mean, I do hold her after she does it to stop her from doing so..but that's only when I'm awake and hear her doing it. She has plenty of food in her bowl...

2. Why does she put her tail straight up when we pet her on her back? She will be feisty and want to scurry about but if me or my boyfriend start stroking her back she stops and puts her little tail up.. like a cat. My boyfriend used to work with rodents and thinks she's in heat.. but I was told she was 4 months old when we got her. is this possible? Does she just like to be pet? Here is a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqLsMS4pgxI

DrKMcK
02-05-2013, 12:03 AM
Oh yes it is possible she is in heat :-). Hamsters mature quite early and this is why they need to be separated from opposite sex siblings so early, around 4 weeks old. That arching is exactly what they do in heat. As for the chewing, unfortunately, most hammy's do it. some can spend a ridiculous amount of time doing it, even if they live in Hamster mansions. I prefer tanks myself, just for that reason. My Patches has 3 - 10 gallon tanks connected by tubes and 1-5 gallon tank filled with chinchilla dust that's also connected to the big ones so she can bathe when she wants to. Your hammy is not doing anything other hamsters don't do. :-)

rmarkham
02-05-2013, 12:14 AM
It's like she goes into a trance when we pet her back even if she's chewing on my buttons or my shirt.. she'll stop! I feel bad now... should I not pet her back until she's not in heat?

I had chinchilla dust for my djungarian ham, but had no idea syrians would use it as well. Should I grab some for her as well?

She doesn't constantly chew her bars, but does do it often. I feel either she's chewing, or she's exploring and chewing her chew toys and cardboard tubes.. UGH. Is she going to hurt herself? Should I coat the bars in something to deter the chewing?

DrKMcK
02-05-2013, 12:20 AM
I don't think there's anything you can coat the bars with, but some others on the site may have better ideas than I do since I don't use cages. You can try her with Chinchilla SAND not DUST. The dust can harm them. As for petting her, you don't have to stop. It won't hurt her and she probably enjoys it. Try searching the threads for "chewing bars". if I come across it I'll get the info to you. :-)

souffle
02-05-2013, 01:01 AM
If she chews a specific area try and block this off with a toy. Use cable ties to attach it in place. Some people use a log bridge or some plastic to shied the bars. Anything to stop her getting her nose through. You can get stiff card and weave it in and out to stop her chewing. Replace when trashed. Stick a boneo through at the spot or a wooden clothes peg.
With some hams it is impossible to stop. They just like doing it and enjoy it. The most distracting toy is a wheel. A properly sized big wheel will attract the hamster to run more and chew less. Females will run more and chew more when in heat. It is an instinct to run and chew to try and get to a mate.
The 'tail uppie' behavior shows she is in heat and receptive to a male and mating. It is an instictive behaviour developed so the female does not attack the male when receptive. Normally they are solitary and would fight with another hamster but to protect the male the go into a trance and adopt the 'standing' position with the tail up either when they smell a male or when they feel something touch the back like a male would when grooming or mating with the female. You may find she has a musky odour to her at this time, also to attract a mate.

rmarkham
02-05-2013, 04:26 PM
If she chews a specific area try and block this off with a toy. Use cable ties to attach it in place. Some people use a log bridge or some plastic to shied the bars. Anything to stop her getting her nose through. You can get stiff card and weave it in and out to stop her chewing. Replace when trashed. Stick a boneo through at the spot or a wooden clothes peg.
With some hams it is impossible to stop. They just like doing it and enjoy it. The most distracting toy is a wheel. A properly sized big wheel will attract the hamster to run more and chew less. Females will run more and chew more when in heat. It is an instinct to run and chew to try and get to a mate.
The 'tail uppie' behavior shows she is in heat and receptive to a male and mating. It is an instictive behaviour developed so the female does not attack the male when receptive. Normally they are solitary and would fight with another hamster but to protect the male the go into a trance and adopt the 'standing' position with the tail up either when they smell a male or when they feel something touch the back like a male would when grooming or mating with the female. You may find she has a musky odour to her at this time, also to attract a mate.
I went out today and got a long dangly wood chew toy and hung it right where she always chews.. (if that doesn't help I'll block it off with cardboard) it is always in the same area ... actually right next to where her wheel is. Go figure. I do have a small wheel, only 6.5 inches but I have a 12in coming in the mail this week. I also picked some more wood chews and a straw mat for her to chew on when she's in her hammock. She LOVES her hammock, and I keep an empty toilet roll in there and she loves to shred it up.

I've had a chinese ham since August and I've never noticed her in heat... the tail up thing is ADORABLE! I did catch a whiff of that odor last night... nothing that shocks me because I work in a microbiology lab :)

I love this forum! You guy are all so knowledgable!