PDA

View Full Version : How do you provide protein and how often?

NaomiR
05-14-2008, 09:11 AM
Some books say once a week but one I read today said three times a week, so I am now confused!

And what does everyone give their hammies to provide protein, I have tried boiled egg but it was ignored, I heard you can try cheese does it have to be a particular kind?

And what about meat like cats food (like chicken flavour?)

Ideas please :)

PS I'm already doing fresh food twice a week that's carrots, greens, cucumber, apple, banana, stuff like that.

souffle
05-14-2008, 09:23 AM
Adults we don't give protein to so often. Maybe once a week but babies, pregnant mums, youngsters who are growing up to about 7 months and oldies get more maybe 3 X week (tiny pups daily). We give chicken, tofu, chedder cheese, scrambled egg, purina cat kibble, baby food, and yogurt or lactol porridge. Sometimes they get turkey or pork if we are having it. Some people feed live or dried mealworms. Too much protein in adults can be a strain on their kidneys I have read so thats why we don't feed it so often.

amy104
07-16-2008, 05:29 AM
Mine loves scrambled egg as its easier to pick up than boiled because of the little bits. I also give him cheddar, cat meat (fish or chicken) and ham (but only small bits as can be quite salty).

babyboos
07-16-2008, 04:30 PM
our hamster block food has a high protein content so we don't give much 'fresh' protein supplementation - remember all nuts and grains have protein even vegetables etc in low quantities in terms of the later certainly but it all adds up and as souffle mentions it can actually be detrimental in high levels.
stick to once or twice a week and keep quantities small

happysaz133
07-17-2008, 06:34 AM
Hmmm...I've not thought about this actually. How much cheddar should I give him, like what size of little chunk?

Ness
07-23-2008, 04:32 PM
I've always been told that you should only give a very small amount of cheese to hamsters as the fat content and salt content can be high. I guess I often give a 1cm cube per hamster, smaller sometimes. but I'm unsure as well. I have noticed that if I do give bigger bits they often leave it for a bit and it goes all hard.

I give mine egg once a week (use two eggs between twelve hamsters), tofu more often though laterly it's been hard to get hold of. soya beans very good. small amounts of cheese from time to time. baby foods that are high protein. nuts and thast every so often.

the egg is the main thing I try and give them on a regular basis, all the other things I will add as an extra that week, though soya beans I often count as a veg as well as a protein as they only have one of two each (depending on size).

Pregnant hams I give egg twice a week they often get boiled egg at the same times as the others, and scrambled at another point.

It's hard sometimes I have a fear of eggs as I hate finding thoses red bit and white protien strand bits.

I don't have chicken or meat but some grains have more protein in than meat so you have to be careful.

also you have to remember that some treats have added protein or are made with egg. I tend not to use the ones with geletine in as I think this is yucky, but thats very few treats.

I feel a bit bad that I don't have meat in for the hams, I've got some chicken baby food in for them, but can't even bring myself to open it. :(

Pouchy
08-05-2008, 11:19 AM
They get gocat bits mixed with the food once a week usually. Seem to like it.