PDA

View Full Version : lettuce and tomato

lorrapaw
02-01-2013, 03:11 PM
I could not see these listed in safe foods but i had already given some to felix so im just checking to make sure they are ok.

DrKMcK
02-01-2013, 03:18 PM
Iceberg lettuce isn't really good for them, it's mostly just water. Romaine, and other deep green leafy veggies are better. I purposely don't bother with iceberg lettuce even for myself, because I want to be able to share with my furries. I was never sure about tomatoes and if I don't see it listed as good for the hammies, I won't use it.

kyrilliondaemon
02-01-2013, 03:39 PM
Lettuce is ok in small amounts I think...

Tomato is bad though, I know some parts of the plant are worse than others but its generally best avoided completely.

Biscotti
02-01-2013, 10:11 PM
Iceberg lettuce is not exactly bad, but since hams don't eat much, their intake will benefit much more from other veggies with higher nutritional values. Like DrKMcK says, it's mostly just water, and not much else. I'd avoid feeding tomatoes since they are generally high in acidity and will upset hams' stomach.

Lougarry
02-02-2013, 01:20 AM
I give mine other types of salad leaves, though. The darker the better!

racinghamster
02-02-2013, 04:41 AM
I used to feed small pieces of tomato (5mm pieces) as treats to my syrian and he loved tomato, but I always removed the seeds. I just took a small square piece from the outside of the tomato. Tomato LEAVES are poisonous, but the fruit isn`t. Tomatoes contain lycopene, which is a substance that can reduce inflamation. Tomato isn`t something you should feed frequently though, just as a treat every so often. Some hamsters don`t like it, some do. Lettuce was never something I fed.

psl
02-02-2013, 05:15 AM
There is a link somewhere on this site that give you whole list what you should give and shouldnt give