PDA

View Full Version : Happy Alone?

countrygirl
02-01-2013, 06:10 AM
I'm just wondering if there is a way to tell if a dwarf hamster is happy alone? I know there can be big problems when trying to keep two or more hammies together. Now that my little girl is settled in her new big cage I'm just wondering if there are signs I should be watching for to make sure she is content.

Nush
02-01-2013, 07:03 AM
If she's settled in and displays 'normal' hamster behaviour then I'd guess she's fine. I've got a single dwarf too and he seems very happy alone. Does your hammy like to come out or spend time with you?

When I was researching keeping a single dwarf, a number of people mentioned that a single dwarf sometimes bonds a lot more with their owners. I think it does depend on the character of the hamster though.

countrygirl
02-01-2013, 07:24 AM
She always comes out for a visit when I am at her cage. She seems to be very curious of me and when I put my hand in she'll come right over to sniff me and will climb all over my hand. She is very friendly. Interesting about single hammy bonding more with their human.

Nush
02-01-2013, 09:25 AM
That's what my hammy does as well. He's a hybrid. I think your hammy sounds very happy:D

de4life
02-01-2013, 11:47 AM
It's the same with rats - they are social animals so ideally should be kept as a pair, but if one is kept on its own it will usually bond with its owner far more than a duo will.

lucyeleanor
02-01-2013, 11:58 AM
Most dwarfs are perfectly happy alone :) It's usually most troubling if they have always lived as a bonded pair and one passes away. You will see severe signs of loneliness and depression if she isn't happy. I have also heard of single dwarfs bonding more with their owners, also timid hamsters in a pairing tend to open up more if they end up being split. No need to worry unless she seems unhappy, she sounds like a sweetheart :)

DrKMcK
02-01-2013, 12:00 PM
It sounds like you have a friendly, calm, tame hammy. Although the dwarf varieties will live together, quite a lot of them wind up needing to be separated because of fighting. Humans tend to think of animal feelings as the same as humans. They aren't really. Your hammy isn't lonely, (although if it met another hammy of the opposite sex, he would be thrilled). :-) Even if you got another hammy, you run the risk of them not getting along and having to get a whole new set up fast. I think you're a good hamster mom for asking about it though.

shiny
02-02-2013, 03:34 PM
if your hamster is eating, drinking, enjoying her cage space, maintaining her weight, being active & looking interested in things then I would say she is happy :).

We have a Chinese male living alone & he is perfectly happy.

Susie
02-02-2013, 05:28 PM
All of my dwarf hamsters live seperately and they're all loving it :D

countrygirl
02-11-2013, 07:29 PM
Thanks everyone for your input! Sorry i haven't popped in earlier i recently moved and have been busy unpacking! I am pretty sure Tati is happy by herself. She is quite active and seems interested in her environment.

northmcqueen
02-12-2013, 04:46 PM
My Peanut (Russian winter white) lived alone her whole life and was extremely happy, also very friendly and tame :)

HammieLover95
02-15-2013, 01:09 PM
All hamsters should be fine alone. Some dwarfs *can* be kept together but they don't need company.