PDA

View Full Version : Scatter vs. Bowl

September
01-31-2013, 10:08 AM
For my syrian Aine, I've always filled her bowl up once, scattered it around her cage, then filled it up again and put it in her cage, so she can choose whether she wants to forage or just eat from the bowl.

Would it be good to do this for a dwarf hammy, too? Or should I just do one or the other? If the latter, which one should I do?

(sorry for all the questions, I'm really excited and kinda nervous. I fail at keeping my hopes low :P)

Nush
01-31-2013, 10:29 AM
I do it for my dwarfie and he tends to eat the scattered ones first. If you have 2 dwarfs then it is definitely recommended to do both. One dwarf can become territorial over the food bowls and the other can at least get access to the scattered food.

Think there is no harm in doing both.

kyrilliondaemon
01-31-2013, 10:31 AM
Yeah its all up to you.
We even just use bowls with pairs/groups at the moment but it does require more thought with the pair and group who have them.

September
01-31-2013, 10:36 AM
I won't be getting a pair, since I wouldn't have the resources (a.k.a. extra cage) to deal with a fallout. Only one dwarf for me :) So I guess it doesn't matter, then, if I scatter and use a bowl.

olga
02-02-2013, 04:01 AM
I use a bowl. I can see what the hamster is eating and what gets left more easily.