PDA

View Full Version : Plan?

pinkneon
01-31-2013, 03:02 AM
I'm going out in about 20mins to my assessment to decide if I am going into hospital or not. The staff have said they'll look after Duck (for a bit) if I do (greedy thing has just emptied his bowl lol). Anyway, if I get admitted I'll be phoning regularly to check on him - and to rant about how gross the hospital food is etc, but wondering if I should leave them a plan on how to look after Duck - and include things like the vet's number etc? I'd not thought about something like that before, but do you guys leave instructions for your ham-sitters or just tell them the basics and let them get on with it? I know for a fact he won't be let out and played with so hoping that either I don't go to hospital or my stay is very short! I've cleaned him out, given him food and water (and a few treats for being such a cute boy!). Because he uses his sand pot as a toilet would it be acceptable to ask them to just clean that regularly? I mean, if for example I was admitted and had to spend a couple of weeks there, would his cage be ok to not have a clean out in that time?? I wish I could take him with me, but no animals are allowed in hospitals :( ... Well, they are in the children's hospital!! SO not fair!

souffle
01-31-2013, 03:37 AM
If you are still around pinkneon then yes it would be sensible to leave a list of things to do. I'm sure he will be fine while you are away so try and not worry as long as he is being checked daily. The cage will be fine without a clean for a bit if you have done it today :)
Hope all goes well at the hospital for you and you feel better soon.

racinghamster
01-31-2013, 03:55 AM
I agree with souffle pinkneon. Also ask that they just `spot-clean` his cage if possible so as not to unsettle him unless it`s what he likes and is used to. Are the two dwarf hamsters being catered for aswell by someone?

pinkneon
01-31-2013, 05:20 AM
Just got back. Three different doctors are arguing over whether I should go in or not. Racinghamster the Ddwarfs went to a new home last night :)

HollyHamster
01-31-2013, 05:23 AM
I hope all goes well and that you are feeling better soon. I have my fingers crossed for you, Pinkneon.

shiny
01-31-2013, 06:36 AM
Hey pinkneon, I would just leave a basic bullet-point list of the things Duck really needs such as food, water & making sure to close the cage properly. If it's just a short list they're much more likely to read it & stick to it. Don't worry about clean-outs, he will be ok a bit longer than normal. Our pet-sitter just does food & water & we sort out all the rest when we get back. Our hammies & guineas are fine this way & it is less disruption for them as they don't have somebody who doesn't know them interfering too much in their homes.

I hope you don't have to go in though, best of luck :)

pinkneon
01-31-2013, 08:48 AM
Now they're saying I do have to go in but not til tomorrow ... They've only had ALL day to decide that!

linford27
01-31-2013, 09:13 AM
Deffo leave them a list, but keep it simple and to the point. eg.

Please fill Duck's bowl once a day with a handful of muesli.
Please clean out Duck's sand pot every day, replacing it with fresh sand.
Please give Duck some fresh fruit or veg every two days (or something)
Vet no. ****** My number *******

And maybe attach a list of unsafe foods.

Pets aren't allowed in my childrens hospital! I so wish they were!

racinghamster
01-31-2013, 10:13 AM
Oh, that`s good news that the dwarfies found a new home. :) Told you it wouldn`t take long!

purple_x
01-31-2013, 10:37 AM
When I go away my brother (who lives with me) looks after my animals.

I leave him a daily care sheet for every day I'm away, a little check list so he doesn't forget anything as he crosses things off as he's done them.
So it'll looks like this
MONDAY
- Feed Loki
- Feed Reuben
- Feed (you get the point!)
- Change ALL waters
- Unbury wheels
- Clean out x and y's sand baths.

I also put portions of food in little sandwich bags and put the hammies names on them so he just has to empty that food into the cages, they'd get fed a tonne of food if he was left to measure it out himself!

pinkneon
01-31-2013, 10:41 AM
Thanks, but I've no idea how long I'll be gone for! The box of food has a scoop in it so I'll just tell them to use that lol