PDA

View Full Version : Activity?

iamtsunami
01-30-2013, 04:48 PM
So, I'm worried Loki isn't active enough. Maybe it's because he just isn't, or because I'm used to hyper mice, but I'm not sure. He only wakes up and runs around after I wake him and pick him up, and he's only active from about 9 pm to 7 am. He does run on his wheel much that I know of... he did the first night, and either he didn't last night, or I fixed the noisy wheel ;).

DrKMcK
01-30-2013, 05:01 PM
Don't worry. This is normal for hamsters. they are nocturnal, sleeping in the day and going about their business in the evening and night time. They tend to get up around 7- 9 p.m. Some will get up for a time during the day and play or just get water and food then slip back to their nest and sleep until later. Actually, hamsters don't like to be disturbed when they are sleeping. They can get angry or frightened and will sometimes rear back and scream, or they can bite. You mice have gotten you used to daytime fun. You'll get used to it. :-D

HollyHamster
01-30-2013, 05:24 PM
Actually (WARNING: Nerd Moment coming) hamsters are corpuscular. That means that they are most active at dawn and dusk as this is the time when predators are either waking up or winding down and thus, aren't actively hunting much.

Our little ones still retain this behavior despite being from a long line of captive bred hammies. Sorry if I am being too geeky here, but I am just a stickler for these sorts of things.

iamtsunami
01-30-2013, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the facts, and don't worry, I'm a nerd too. :D I'm glad he's acting normal, just wanted to check. I'm not used to not seeing my fuzzies during the day; it's kind of lonely. ;)