PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal?

cupcakesNsparkles87
01-30-2013, 04:35 AM
On Monday I brought home a male Syrian. I put him in his cage and he seems to like it. I noticed on Tuesday he was sleeping in the corner bend of one of his tubes and this morning when I woke up he has moved bedding and a small stash of food into the tubbing system with him, and is still sleeping there. I'm used to my little dwarf hamster burying her food bowl and sleeping in her house( they are in separate cages). Is it because he is still a little scared and feels safe in a confind space? Any help would be appreciated Xx

evel_lin
01-30-2013, 06:20 AM
It is normal but not very healthy for them as the tubes aren't very well ventilated. What type of cage do you have? Can you block the tubes off to encourage him to make an open nest instead?

In the long term you might find he outgrows the tubes so you may want to look at bigger cages anyway. Modular cages aren't very good for hamsters as they need a good amount of running space. The RSPCA recommendations are around 70 x 40 cm (can't remember exact figure) but bigger is always better. If you have a look in the housing and cage review sections of the forum you'll be able to get some more information :)

cupcakesNsparkles87
01-31-2013, 01:06 AM
Thank you for your reply. I'm not sure what the cage is called, but I'm not happy with it at all. Got a ZooZone on its way to me and this cage will be getting returned, to the pet store I got it from.