PDA

View Full Version : I did it too!!!

j.j.
01-27-2013, 06:20 PM
After reading about how everyones hams like mealworms, I decided to be brave and take the plunge! And no they weren't the live ones. Im taking baby steps!

JJ ate half and put the other half back so not sure what the verdict is for her...as for me all I have to say is yuck...and I used a tweezer!!!!

The Hamster's family
01-27-2013, 06:29 PM
After reading about how everyones hams like mealworms, I decided to be brave and take the plunge! And no they weren't the live ones. Im taking baby steps!

JJ ate half and put the other half back so not sure what the verdict is for her...as for me all I have to say is yuck...and I used a tweezer!!!!

LOLLLLLLLLLLL !!! Soon, you'll also hear the juicy little noise... ;)

Good job ! Your ham will be this much happier !

DrKMcK
01-27-2013, 07:47 PM
LOL. I felt the same way when I used to give my gerbils live crickets. I just gave them to the furries and left the room. I do the same with mealworms. :-D

strawberrysmom
01-27-2013, 08:45 PM
LOL. I have both on hand! Freeze Dried AND live - a container sitting on my fridge side door. I've had company a few times since having them there and they've never asked but I wonder after the fact if they saw "Meal Worms" on the container and just wondered a thing or two about our family. LOL

strawberrysmom
01-27-2013, 08:46 PM
I dump a few live ones onto a plate and let them hunt. Or with my dwarf he sits right in the container and digs a few out (this is the live ones I'm talking about) ...the dried ones I just shake off a few out. I don't have to touch!

cactus
01-28-2013, 12:35 PM
Aw, glad your ham likes them :) I took the plunge recently too and got my hammies some meal worms (Can't take the live ones yet either!) One of mine loves them, one eats them but isn't too bothered and another turns his nose up completely at them. Haven't tried the fourth on them yet. I have to use a spoon, I can't stand to touch them but Holly loves them so much I can't say no to her. Such a cute pic of JJ eating them too!

A_Couple_In_Love
01-28-2013, 01:22 PM
Very brave! Im not to sure if i will ever be able to give mine meal worms, i hate all types of wriggly or crawly things.. EEK!

LuckySaffron
01-28-2013, 01:40 PM
Meal worms don't really bother me as I have to feed live ones to the rodents at the college I'm attending, though I'm a bit more iffy with live crickets since they jump! XD

For Woolley, I decided to try her out on freeze-dried meal worms, but she didn't take to them straight away. She would always go in to take a sniff of it, then recoil back in what looked like pure disgust!!
I spent about the first month I had her trying to offer her them with the same result, so eventually I decided to just break up a couple and mix it in with her regular mix for a few days. I noticed both days the meal worms disappeared from her food bowl, but I didn't know if she was eating them or just storing them and not bothering, so on the third day I offered her half a meal worm and she devoured it straight away! XD She loves them now! I think I just had to teach her that they were for eating as she'd probably never had them before.

Sarzieandchris
01-28-2013, 03:55 PM
We give our two chinese hamsters dried mealworms and they absolutly love them, soon as you open the cage Crumble comes bouncing about ready to have mealworms. Cookie loves them too, but would sooner wait till hes awake to have them so think sleep comes first in his eyes. Where as food comes first with Crumble, especially mealworms lol.

arikata
02-03-2013, 03:34 PM
I'm ok with the dry ones but just thinking of the live ones... blergh!! [-( nothing which wiggles or slithers in this house thankyouverymuch lol x

HollyHamster
02-03-2013, 11:03 PM
Heh, wiggly things don't bother me much. However, I stick with dried ones as they last a little longer and are cheaper. I just take a pinch or two of them and toss them in the middle of the hams' cages where they are sure to find them.

SoapyVP
02-04-2013, 08:20 AM
My little Kiwi hoovers up any (dried!) mealworm instantly. Loves them! :-)

Lougarry
02-04-2013, 08:25 AM
I've got live ones at the moment as they are more nutritious for the babies. The feeding process is pretty gruesome, though, as I am worried about the babies getting bitten so I crush the head parts with the tongs while the hamsters get munching on the tail ends. Food on the hoof, as my mum would say.

Arraminta
02-04-2013, 08:50 AM
Hey, this may have already been asked (and possibly answered) but I know Robos go mental for mealworms (live) but does anyone's Syrian like them?

I'm sure Cinnamon would love them..

And tweezers - I don't blame you...

Arraminta x

lucyeleanor
02-04-2013, 09:39 AM
Nobody warned me about the smell!

I took the plunge today and bought a pack. All five of my dwarfs have gobbled them down. My Syrian Poppy had a few nibbles and put it down, but I suspect she'll eat them over time.

My housemate bethpower tried her three Syrian boy's on them and none of them were at all interested.

HollyHamster
02-04-2013, 01:53 PM
My Syrian girl, Holly, loves them.

j.j.
02-13-2013, 09:21 PM
Hey, this may have already been asked (and possibly answered) but I know Robos go mental for mealworms (live) but does anyone's Syrian like them?

I'm sure Cinnamon would love them..

And tweezers - I don't blame you...

Arraminta x

Well it has taken JJ a bit but she now loves her meal worms. I dont even have to open the bag, I just have to pick it up and crinkle it and she will come out of her hole to the front of the cage. And the best part - I don't even use tweezers anymore. I've graduated to touching them with my fingers!!!! ;)

Next step live ones, but not anytime soon!!!

Lougarry
02-14-2013, 03:28 AM
My Syrians love the live ones, Minty.

Cupcake
02-15-2013, 11:47 AM
My Syrian loves them. They're not live, but they're not dried either. They're still juicy so to speak haha ewwww :lol: I keep them in the fridge in a can sort of like a tuna can :)