PDA

View Full Version : You guys will understand...

petal10
01-25-2013, 12:14 PM
Aaargh there is a gorgeous mouse up for adoption at the RSPCA, only 16 miles away from me, he has been there for a year already... I would so love to adopt him and could give him a great home, but I know that I won't be allowed! (I'm 22, but still live at home...).

Argh, frustration... I'm sure you guys understand!

Leesha
01-25-2013, 01:24 PM
Yep! 67,000 rabbits handed into/dumped on rescues yearly. I could so easily give a home to 2 to bond with my 2 single rabbits ..but unfortunately still live at home too so not allowed :( I would like to foster rabbits and guinea pigs when I move out too. Help rescues out a bit!

racinghamster
01-25-2013, 01:36 PM
It is very sad isn`t it? Sadly, male mice get overlooked, mainly because they do tend to smell, but it`s only if you notice it! :mad: I adored my little male mice and I can tell you, they were larger than life and had beautiful personalities. Tht poor lad. A year in rescue? :( Just goes to show how difficult it can be for mice and small furries to find a nice home these days. Pet shops and too much breeding is to blame for much of it.

petal10
01-25-2013, 01:46 PM
Oh poor things... it's not their fault if they smell :( If they had a large cage presumably that would help too. I used to have a pair of female mice and they were lovely.

This little mouse was born in the RSPCA's care and is now approx. one year old :( poor thing. People just don't think to rescue a small animal... people always find it hilarious when I tell them I got Pugwash from the RSPCA :(

I got a job offer today so am trying to persuade my mum that getting a mouse would be a good 'reward'...

GhostsInSnow
01-25-2013, 02:15 PM
I understand :)
I'm 25 and still live at home whilst I get through uni. I had my mice, was told no hamsters until after my mice but then ended up being able to get my Syrian. I'd love a robo or 2, I can afford them and have space for one more cage but I'm not allowed.
That's a good idea :) Maybe she'll let you? I hope you can get him, mice are such rewarding little creatures to own :)

petal10
01-25-2013, 02:21 PM
Hehe... that sounds a bit like me... I wasn't allowed any pets at all but then my sister let me keep Pugwash at hers (just down the road, so I went there every day)... but then he was allowed to move in here in the end! I think it will be a no, but would love to be able to take the little mouse in.

DrKMcK
01-25-2013, 03:23 PM
I must have been the luckiest child in the world. When I was young I spent a lot of time in hospitals. My world might have been very lonely but I had a big family and my dad allowed me any animal I asked for. I had a parakeet, a guinea pig, rabbits, dogs and cats, we had a monkey and a gila monster. I had Sam, who was a salamander, and turtles. We had 2 chipmunks and my dad built them a 7 foot long aquarium. I had more gerbils than I can count. We even had an alligator that some nut threw into our basement, probably because someone told him that we had all kinds of animals. One day I saw a beautiful snake in our yard and I screamed for my father. Thinking I wanted it, he actually grabbed it. It bit him. He wound up in the hospital to have it checked but it was okay, not poisionous. But he would have gotten for me. Your mouse would have been mine in about 2 seconds. Unfortunately I live in Brooklyn, NY, USA, so he's going to have to be found by someone else. I wish it WAS you since you really seem to care and would take great care of him. Someday you are going to be living on your own and I have a feeling some very lucky animals are in your future. :-D

GhostsInSnow
01-25-2013, 03:36 PM
Oooh I grew up with pets, it was down to the fact that we already have a lot of family pets and cuz of money. Then my parents were like "hang on, they're her pets, she pays for them" xD I've been given my limits though.
I dread to think how many pets I'll have when I move out haha

petal10
01-25-2013, 03:39 PM
Ahh thanks guys. We actually used to have quite a few pets too - I've had gerbils, Syrians, dwarfs (Chinese and Russian), mice, a rat, fish, cats, a dog... but we used to have a big house and now live in a 2 bedroom flat in central London... and my mum has never been a huge fan of animals... so now that it is in such proximity, she's not keen at all... ah well, I've asked so we shall see what she says :)

Kiki_3173
01-25-2013, 05:10 PM
It doesn't always get better...I've been looking at some dwarfs that are at our SPCA and thinking about getting this adorable little girl Polly. I love my hubbie to death, but I'm afraid if I tell him I want another hammy, he might crack! I only have one, but we have 2 dogs too & he thinks that's too much as it is :-(. I even already have a bincage ready for it!!

kyrilliondaemon
01-25-2013, 05:25 PM
I hope your Mum lets you. Growing up we had a few pets but there were limits and I'm glad there were - I personally think that limits can teach kids quite a few useful lessons.
That said, you're not a kid and it seems a bit unfair that you'd not be allowed a mouse. I can fully understand parents refusing dangerous or scary pets, but unless your Mum is scared then I do think its fairer to let you :)

Now I've moved out and the pets are shared between me and my partner, so we share the decisions on pets. Once or twice I've fallen for something but in the end we've agreed when the answer is no, othertimes we've found the answer is yes and agreed on that instead :)

petal10
01-25-2013, 06:44 PM
Kiki - I have the same problem, I don't think my OH will ever let me have loads of pets, hehe.

Kyrilleondaemon, the problem is our flat isn't huge and my mum owns it so I suppose it's her choice really, but I'm trying to emphasise that she wouldn't even notice! Mousey would be in my room so she wouldn't even know he was there really! Although before anyone suggests it, I couldn't live with getting the mouse without her knowing, and she would go mental when she found out!

kyrilliondaemon
01-25-2013, 06:52 PM
Ah ok, and I genuinely think its great that you won't get the mouse without her agreement :)

petal10
01-25-2013, 06:54 PM
Thank you! The rat I had when I was younger was a rescue, because she had been taken home by someone who didn't have their parents' permission, so she ended up with me. Plus I just respect my mum more than that! Doesn't mean I won't try to persuade her though :)

GhostsInSnow
01-25-2013, 07:57 PM
I'm the same Petal. Even now I find it impossible to lie to my mum haha plus she'd find out if I snuck stuff in

Good luck in persuading her :) I hope you can get the mousey

Trixafena2
01-26-2013, 12:58 PM
I started with "mom, I have the money to get a ham and at least pay for feeding it for a few months, and by then it'll be xmas.."

well, 9 more rodents later.. my mom says 'NO MORE!' but they're all getting older and slowly passing off so.

I'm scared to see how many I end up with once I move out . Prob gonna stick to rats when i'm olde r though

petal10
01-30-2013, 03:40 PM
Ah I had no luck unfortunately - it was a no to the mouse! I don't want to push it either as my mum originally didn't even want Pugwash to live here and I don't feel that it's fair to put pressure on. I just hope the mouse gets a home soon!

DrKMcK
01-30-2013, 03:46 PM
I love all kinds of animals. Dogs, cats, ferrets, gerbils, hamsters, mice. And the list goes on. Everytime I hear about some animal in trouble I want to do something about it. Even though I don't have to worry about permission, I'm and adult and it's just me and my pets, I had to recognize that I can only handle so much. In your situation, you just can't save that mousie. Your situation won't allow it. Some day you'll be able to bring home whatever you want. But even then you'll find you can't save them all. I think you have a great good heart for wanting to help the mouse.

Kirsty1987
01-30-2013, 03:53 PM
My parents were the same when i lived at home but then the reason was we had 2 cats I'm glad i wasn't aloud to get a pet though looking back when i was a teen i was always out spending my money on nights out clubbing and drinking crashing and friends houses barely able to care of myself so i know i would have not been responsible enough and given it the care it needs.
But now i live with my OH and have done for 3 years i don't go out drinking any more and prefer to spend quiet nights at home relaxing, what started off as one hamster the first year then turned into 2 and OH said that's it then one passed away so i got another but kept to the limit of 2 then my cousin needed to re-home 2 gerbils couldn't say no. Then i really wanted a chinese hamster so got one, then one of my gerbils passed and i have just got a new companion for zach so now have 5 pets ;)
I don't think my OH will say no as he know that I'm the one who pays and cares for them and they keep me happy :)

petal10
01-30-2013, 03:57 PM
Thanks guys... we definitely have the capacity for more and it is difficult seeing animals in hard situations but as you have both said there is a limit... somewhere! I am lucky to be able to still live at home so I can't complain... mind you I'm not sure my OH is keen on having more than one animal at a time either haha! We shall see though...