PDA

View Full Version : What's the furthest you would go?

NaomiR
05-12-2008, 02:17 AM
Just curious to find out the extents people will go to for the animals they really REALLY really want.

My friend and I drove 13 hours through France, Belgium, Holland and Germany to get some really fabulous guinea pigs it was well worth it - long but brilliant!

Just wondered how far people will go, I can't be the only insane person on the planet surely??

Holly
05-12-2008, 04:58 AM
I think I'd go a long way probably - if travelling somewhere in Europe was the only place to get a particular type of animal that I really wanted then, if I had long enough to set it up (and save up the travel costs) then I'd do it, I think.

Bunsey
05-12-2008, 05:25 AM
If i wanted a ham, i'd probably save up to take a holiday somewhere up to 4 hours drive away i think.

Maisydae
05-12-2008, 06:00 AM
wow, that's a long drive Naomi! They must be pretty special piggies! :shock:

Ness
05-12-2008, 06:34 AM
when I travel to pick up robos from tammy I will be travelling 6hours on the train and 6hours back. I'm going to have to wake up at 5am :( I like my sleep, but I'm sure it'll be worth it. my tickets were £60 as I book in advance other wise they could have been up to £200 I don't understand why, they wouldn't have been special tickets or anything :roll:

sarahh
05-12-2008, 11:06 AM
If it was for a dog maybe quite a few hours but for a small animal only up to a couple of hours. There are so many lovely hamsters in shops down this way so I wouldn't need to travel.

05-12-2008, 11:45 AM
I'd travel as far as I needed to....I happily do a 4 hour round trip sometimes just to get the hamster food I want or specific hamster toys, so I'd travel a lot further for the hamster itself! I love driving my car so distance isn't really a problem. :)

Mollz
05-12-2008, 12:24 PM
Personally I would drive for a fair few hours (like 4 or something), with a possible overnight stay. But I don't do the driving and know that it would be unfair to expect mum to do so.

Mollz Mum
05-12-2008, 12:57 PM
But if there was a special hammy that you really wanted, as long as we could fit it in, mum would drive up to about 4 hours for you to collect it!

Jane
05-12-2008, 01:14 PM
I don't drive, and even if I did I'm sorry but I wouldn't travel far. I wouldn't travel over two hours to collect a ham. Why? It would have to be very very special for that. There are so many hamsters around me which need homes, so why travel for ages just to get one?

Ness
05-12-2008, 01:21 PM
well my reason is because all the pet shops round me don't really sell dwarfs, I have to travel around 2 hours to get to a pet shop to buy them now since my local breeder has stopped producing, so I might as well travel to tammy.

but I can understand, its like if I wanted a rabbit I wouldn't travel far as there are loads of place near me that sell them. :D

vnewman236
05-12-2008, 10:13 PM
Well, I've been quite lucky so far as my syrians were right here and although my robos were at a rescue in surrey a lady drove them here for me. The rabbit rescue was another story though as even though Greenwich is not far it was a pain to get there without a car! - but worth it! I'm looking at 2 hours each way on the train if I want to go to the Andover show...so if I'm prepared to go that far for a show how far would I go for an actual animal....hmmmmmm

Spuds Mum
05-12-2008, 11:52 PM
Im doing a 7+ hour round trip to Blenheim to pick up hamsters - thats probably as far as I would want to go to be honest. But there are two particular boys that I need to meet and will be well worth the petrol money :D

Gust0o
05-13-2008, 02:29 AM
I'd drive as far as required - picking up Harry and Hobbs was a four-hour roundtrip, and it was about the same again (and then some) to go to Brockholes and collect Dandelion on the way back.

For me, it's not a question of distance or expense - these things go by the wayside when you're dedicated - it's all a question of time; and that's something which is something which is increasingly running short... :roll:

Gust0o
05-13-2008, 02:37 AM
But there are two particular boys that I need to meet and will be well worth the petrol money

Oh yes! There most certainly are! :D

You'll have to let me know what I owe for this trip.

internet_nobody
05-13-2008, 02:42 AM
I drove up to Birkenhead for my first WWs...(about 2 hours 45 mins there). Someone on another forum had had their hamsters mis-sexed by a vet (4 males they were sold the vet thought 2:2, turned out to be 3 males and a female), and 9 little pups popped out. They was one little adorable sapphire I didn't want going to a pet shop so off we went. I'd probably do that again in a day, but any further i'd want to make a trip of it!

Spuds Mum
05-13-2008, 08:12 AM
But there are two particular boys that I need to meet and will be well worth the petrol money

Oh yes! There most certainly are! :D

You'll have to let me know what I owe for this trip.

Nothing at all - you are doing a return favour for me, and we would be going anyway! :D