PDA

View Full Version : Playtime behavior stress

Kiki_3173
01-19-2013, 03:09 AM
Last night was the first time that I let Darwin play in our small bathroom, on the floor. I blocked off any small holes I thought could potentially be a problem and I sat on the floor with him while he had playtime. I didn't have a ton of toys down for him because it was his first time being out like that (not in the ball). Sadly, he seemed somewhat stressed so I only had him out for about 10 minutes before I decided to put him back in his bin. He LOVES being in his ball, but it seemed like he just didn't know what to do with himself and even kind of threw himself up against the wall a few times. Is playtime like that something they have to ease into? Or do I need to have more toys/distractions down for him?

shazd84
01-19-2013, 09:55 AM
Jackson seems to hate big open spaces if he's not in the safety of his ball. I guess some like free range, and some don't.

racinghamster
01-19-2013, 10:54 AM
Hamsters will often act strange and nervous when in open spaces. It can be a bit like walking on ice for them as it`s unfamiliar to them, so allowing them to climb out of their cage base (have this on the floor) and letting the hamster come and go as they wish from a log bridge or something similar, is better than just placing them out of their comfort zone.

Chinese hamsters will `flatten` themselves when in open spaces. It`s a natural reaction, but not one that should be induced if the hamster seems stressed.

Same with a ball. If the hamster climbs in and wants to stay in, that`s fine. If they want out, don`t force them to stay inside the ball. Always open the ball up and allow the hamster to decide.

strawberrysmom
01-19-2013, 11:07 AM
Strawberry is like that if I don't have a bunch of hideaways!! If he still acts like that with a bunch of hideaways (like boxes and tubes etc) then I don't think free ranging is important for him! Strawberry prefers his ball to free ranging I've noticed. While Bob hates the ball! He just sits in his ball and never moves.

Kiki_3173
01-19-2013, 11:17 AM
Hamsters will often act strange and nervous when in open spaces. It can be a bit like walking on ice for them as it`s unfamiliar to them, so allowing them to climb out of their cage base (have this on the floor) and letting the hamster come and go as they wish from a log bridge or something similar, is better than just placing them out of their comfort zone.

Chinese hamsters will `flatten` themselves when in open spaces. It`s a natural reaction, but not one that should be induced if the hamster seems stressed.

Same with a ball. If the hamster climbs in and wants to stay in, that`s fine. If they want out, don`t force them to stay inside the ball. Always open the ball up and allow the hamster to decide.

I wish I could put his cage in there to let him crawl out, but I have a bincage & it isn't possible. Would letting him walk out of his ball work?

Kiki_3173
01-19-2013, 02:59 PM
Strawberry is like that if I don't have a bunch of hideaways!! If he still acts like that with a bunch of hideaways (like boxes and tubes etc) then I don't think free ranging is important for him! Strawberry prefers his ball to free ranging I've noticed. While Bob hates the ball! He just sits in his ball and never moves.

I'm going to try again, but with a lot more toys/hiding places, but if he still acts the same, I'll just let him have his out of cage time,in his ball. :-)