PDA

View Full Version : poop in there bed

barryg69
01-15-2013, 05:08 PM
hi I have just cleaned out my two cages and found there beds to be full of poo is this normal is there a way I can change the behaviour

Sanctuary
01-15-2013, 05:44 PM
There really is no way to stop it, you should clean out their beds everyday to take out the wet and soiled bedding and yes it is very normal, most hamsters do it :)

GhostsInSnow
01-15-2013, 05:53 PM
If they are just pooing in their beds and not weeing then cleaning out their nest every day can be a little excessive and may cause the hamster to become stressed, especially if this is where their food store is also. If it is just poo then taking this out every few days and leaving as much bedding as possible would probably be best.

Biyu
01-15-2013, 08:29 PM
I thought I heard that its best not to mess with a nest?

I know my hamster is atleast pooing in her nest she also has a litter too that she atleast poos in there as well

Biscotti
01-15-2013, 09:11 PM
Sometimes having a litter box close to their house will encourage the ham to use their litter box instead of pooping in the nest, depending on if they're litter trained and their personality. I find syrians tend to be a bit better about their bathroom habits, and dwarf hammies just poop wherever they like, and a lot of it is in their nests.

Like GhostsInSnow said, if the nest is not wet from wee, then scooping out the poop every few days will be enough. I also try not to disturb the nests as much as possible.

Biyu
01-16-2013, 10:49 AM
Mine is a Syrian she would poo and pee in her litter before in the old cage (I know she pooped in her nest back then too) now that she is in a bin and things are more spread out it seems she poops in her nest and the litter has a pee area under the ladder (boardwalk has pics) and on her wheel (which I've attempted to make more comfortable for her)

Could she be too lazy to go to her pee area? Or is the litter too far from the wheel? (I know I cleaned pee from her old wheel a time or 2) or?

de4life
01-16-2013, 11:11 AM
Hamsters have to eat their own feces to properly digest food so you shouldn't be surprised to find poo in their bed.

Urine is much more of a danger to their health, but a ham will very rarely urinate in their nest. They will usually find another corner of the cage or use a potty if provided.