PDA

View Full Version : Band/Dom Spot Combinations?

pophammy
05-10-2008, 07:59 AM
This might be a question for BVH!

If you breed a band/dominant spot combination hamster to a non patterned hamster, will all the babies be combination hams, ie. will the two patterns be linked, or will you get a mixture of bands, dominant spots and combinations? Also, do you sometimes get plain straight coloured hamsters as well? :?

I would think you would get a mixture but am not sure!

This was sparked off by us seeing a rather cute band/dom combination ham in pets@home!

Also, am I right in thinking that band/dom combis are non-standard?

I_am_plankton
05-10-2008, 09:40 AM
I can't help you much Pophammy, but I do know that as long as the colour is standard, then the banded dom spot would be show in the patterned class :)

internet_nobody
05-10-2008, 10:14 AM
I've seen banded dom spots reclassified to non standard - maybe it depends on the judge!

I think this punnet square is right...

Dom Spot (Dsds) x Banded (Baba)

|Ba |ba
----|----|----
Ds |BaDs|Dsba
----|----|----
ds |Bads|bads

So 25% Banded spots, 25% spots, 25% banded and 25% non patterned.[/code]

Bunsey
05-10-2008, 10:34 AM
yeah i'd go with that square. no expert of course though. i think it's just that hams luck that he got the band and the dom spot. the 2 aren't linked in any way, so i'd guess they can be separate in the litter. isn't it kinda bad news to breed banded and dom spot anyway? especially a pet shop ham who's breeder probably just stuffed anything together

Spirit
05-10-2008, 10:49 AM
It would depend on what the parents of the band/dominant spot combination hamster were, and therefore whether the individual was homozygous or heterozygous for the traits. I believe this is right;

If it was homozygous for Banded and heterozygous for
Dominant Spot (BaBaDsds) the babies could be dominant spot/banded (BabaDsds) or banded (Babadsds)

If it was hetrozygous for both (BabaDsds) then the babies could be dominant spot/banded (BabaDsds), dominant spot (babaDsds), banded (Babadsds), or non patterned (babadsds).

(Edit: Forgot about Homozygous dom spot being lethal)

internet_nobody
05-10-2008, 10:58 AM
Homozygous dom spot is lethal, so you've only got the case of double banded (in which case 50:50 banded spots and banded).

souffle
05-10-2008, 11:03 AM
isn't it kinda bad news to breed banded and dom spot anyway? especially a pet shop ham who's breeder probably just stuffed anything together

Pophammy is not thinking of breeding this hamster Bunsey. She does not even have the hamster mentioned. She was merely asking the question.
I believe BVH has some of these combination pattern hamsters.

I_am_plankton
05-10-2008, 11:05 AM
I don't know who has some, but I have seen dom spot banded's in the past judged in the patterned class :)

souffle
05-10-2008, 11:08 AM
I think you are right Spirit except for the domi spot lethal combination so perhaps litters would be smaller in a female hamster with this combo.

ami_j
05-10-2008, 11:30 AM
might be able to help here pophammy :) i just bred my (what i thought was a dom spot but actually has turned out to be a dom spot banded_) to a normal cinny
she had 3 dom spots
1 banded and 3 normal ( i think the blondes are still light so its hard to tell)

Bourne Valley Hams
05-10-2008, 11:42 AM
This might be a question for BVH!

If you breed a band/dominant spot combination hamster to a non patterned hamster, will all the babies be combination hams, ie. will the two patterns be linked, or will you get a mixture of bands, dominant spots and combinations? Also, do you sometimes get plain straight coloured hamsters as well? :?

I would think you would get a mixture but am not sure!

This was sparked off by us seeing a rather cute band/dom combination ham in pets@home!

Also, am I right in thinking that band/dom combis are non-standard?

This may answer your question...
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/harriscarter/prettybabies.jpg
All one litter. Dad is dom spot banded, mum is banded.
2 babies are not patterned, 3 banded, 1 dom spot and the rest dom spot banded.
Dom spot banded is currently non standard in NHC although it was standard in BHA. The standard for it has been written and is due to be reviewed by the standards committee in the next few months.

pophammy
05-10-2008, 11:55 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies! It really helps answer my question, especially the examples from amy_j and BVH. The pic is gorgeous, such cute little hammies! :D