PDA

View Full Version : Shunamite style mix

vikingvampireparrot
05-09-2008, 04:35 AM
Hi

I was just wondering if anyone uses a Shunamite style mix for their hamsters?

I have just made one up for Earl (based on some stuff people told me on FR for adapting for hamsters) and it is made up of:

50% harry hamster
10% dried pasta
10% wild bird seed
30% low sugar breakfast cereals

How does this sound? should it include the dog kibble part too? (I use happidog)

I_am_plankton
05-09-2008, 04:39 AM
That sounds fine :). I make up my own mix using a hamster mix as a base, then with bird seed, cat biscuits, dog biscuits, cereals, porridge oats etc mixed in and I do believe it helps to keep them in top condition, and they seem to love it!

nooboo
05-09-2008, 05:49 AM
personally i would swap the cereals and pasta for 20% cat/kitten biscuits and 20% porridge oats

ilovemyhammies
05-09-2008, 06:18 AM
i use the shunamite for my rats and have a similar for the hamsters, but i give millet sprays instead of the bird seed and dry packet soup mix

NaomiR
05-14-2008, 10:08 AM
That sounds fine :). I make up my own mix using a hamster mix as a base, then with bird seed, cat biscuits, dog biscuits, cereals, porridge oats etc mixed in and I do believe it helps to keep them in top condition, and they seem to love it!

Hmmm I too was wondering about chucking some cat biscuits in, I am now going to do exactly that :wink:

But I thought I read somewhere you should never give them oats?