PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping all day and wobbly walk?

Munchies
01-06-2013, 02:02 PM
Hello, I'm new to these forums but have been lurking for a while picking up advice before we got our hamster. We finally picked our little female Syrian yesterday around midday and she has literally done nothing but sleep. She must have been up briefly last night because she was asleep in a different corner this morning.

Anyway, at around 7pm tonight (after not moving all day) I thought I might try to wake her up a bit and make sure she's ok. She's fine about being stroked and was fine when I lifted her to the middle of the cage where she seemed to be quite wobbly. She wobbled over to her food bowl, just about dragged herself into it and then went back to sleep. Because she is brand new I have no idea if I should be concerned or not. But I've had 2 hamsters in the past (too long ago) and they were not this lethargic.

It's the wobbling that concerns me though. What are your thoughts? Am I expecting too much from her at this stage? Or does the wobbling sound concerning? ... So sorry to have written such an essay! Hope you can help! Thank you.

Bosse
01-06-2013, 02:51 PM
A sleepy hamster walks in a "wobbly" fashion. Let her settle in for a few days before taming her. Hamsters usually sleep an awful lot. I think we tend to forget that, because we remember the funny and cute moments rather than all the sleeping, when thinking about hamsters we've had before :)

Nush
01-07-2013, 03:17 AM
I am not sure what you mean by 'wobbly', Munchies. Do you feel her wobbliness is from being sleepy or do you think there are issues with her legs?

Because you woke her up rather than her getting up naturally, I imagine she would still be very groggy and sleepy. Sometimes when you first get a hammie, they sleep a lot and wake up when their owners go to bed. This is an avoidance technique. I wouldn't wake her up. Instead you could try putting the light out in the room she's in and close the door. Then check her in an hour or so (or if you hear her stir).

You might get a better look at her then and see if there are any issues with her walking.

njwilde
01-07-2013, 04:36 AM
Just give her some time, I agree with the others, she seemed half asleep, especially if she is not an old hammie. She has just changed surroundings/home, I bet you d be groggy after moving house too, and she doesnt know what and who you are yet so she will be up when you re not there. I would also check on her when it's dark to see how her behaviour is then but even if it's all normal I would leave her for another couple of days and just give her food and treats until she settled or making a move towards you:)

Munchies
01-07-2013, 06:58 AM
Thank you for the replies everyone, she woke up (naturally) about 10 mins ago, I watched her 'wobble' around the cage. She's not opening her eyes now and when she turns her head the wobbling got worse. I think there might be something wrong with her :( We got her at p@h and the receipt says to contact them if your animal seems unwell shortly after purchase so I'm going to do that.

Bosse
01-07-2013, 04:11 PM
Uhm, well sometimes my hamster Chibi doesn't care to open her eyes at first, when she's still sleepy. This evening she woke up, came out and stopped standing on two legs, eyes closed leaning against her hut - I guess she thought she was too sleepy to crawl unto it anyway..
She will also stick her head out for treats without opening her eyes, or crawl slowly into the wheel eyes more closed than open :)
It seems weird if you hamster continues to do that for more than a few moments, though

Nush
01-08-2013, 03:08 AM
I'd say go with your instinct on this one. If your hammy didn't become active yesterday, I'd get her checked by a vet.

Also check her nest to see if there are any signs that she might have wet tail. Do you know if she's eating properly?

I don't want to alarm you. There might not be anything wrong with her but you can never be too careful with health issues.

Munchies
01-08-2013, 03:33 AM
Its not good news :( This morning I found her in the corner between her little house and the cage, I wanted to check on her so moved the house and her little body just fell to the side, she must have died in her sleep last night :( We only got her on Saturday :(

Nush
01-08-2013, 03:55 AM
That is so sad. Poor little thing, she must have had a health issue from before you got her.
It's never easy to lose them however short a time you've had them. I'm really sorry. RIP little hammy.

The Hamster's family
01-08-2013, 07:01 AM
I'm very sorry hun... I agree that she must have had something from before you got her... Your concerns shows that you are a great caretaker... Again, I'm sorry... It's nothing about you, she was ill...

Rest well, little one... Enjoy the Bridge and all its goodies..

Annie xx

Ice.creame
01-08-2013, 07:50 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss..

Play well at the bridge little hammy ..

Moonflower
01-14-2013, 01:11 PM
So sorry to read your sad news :( Journey well to the bridge x

But in case anyone else is worried about wobbly walk.. I noticed that Holly wobbles when she is very sleepy, She woke up to use her toilet area the other evening, and then practically dozed off in there! She woke up suddenly and then did a very sleepy, wobbly walk back to her sleeping area. I know how she feels! :)

Munchies
01-14-2013, 03:24 PM
I think you can tell if somethings wrong or not. This poor little hammy just wasnt right. She seemed weak rather than tired. Trust your insticts :)

Thanks for all the replies! We were sad to say goodbye but we have since met Wally, our new little syrian. Who may be a wheel addict!