PDA

View Full Version : How much?

bonkers4hamsters
01-04-2013, 05:31 AM
How much food do you give to your hams everyday? Bella has recently started to store all the food when I put it in her bowl whereas she used to just take what she wanted. So I am looking at an amount I should give her everyday, she is a pure ww.

Also, how much do you give your syrians?

And how many mealworms do you give a day?

Silver
01-04-2013, 05:33 AM
I give my Pure WW & Pure C one teaspoon of mix per day

I feed Jan more mealworms than amy because she is very old now 2 years 8 months so give Jan 4-5 a day. Amy gets 2 mealworms a day

I have not kept Syrians so can't answer that one

Silver xxx

bonkers4hamsters
01-04-2013, 05:38 AM
Thanks! Would you give a young hamster (syrian 9-13 weeks old) more mealworms for the extra protein?

Silver
01-04-2013, 06:03 AM
No I would still feed 2 mealworms a day because they will eat more when young & healthy. It's just when they get old they can eat & digest mealworms easier than hamster mix

Silver xxx

GhostsInSnow
01-04-2013, 06:39 AM
To be honest I just fill Fudges bowl when it's empty. I've found if I fill it every days he eat picky and just eats the bits she wants and leaves the rest. I do check her bowl every day though and I occasionally check her store too :)

Lougarry
01-04-2013, 07:08 AM
I scatterfeed each of mine with about a dessert spoon of food daily plus any extras. I suspect that if you don't feed daily they hoard more as they are not assured of a regular food supply. Also I have a terrible memory so a daily routine works best for me :)

GhostsInSnow
01-04-2013, 08:02 AM
Fudge was being stupidly picky when I fed daily even when I was scatter feeding. I've found she's eating better since I started feeding her less regularly but she's a very strange hammie anyway xD and different things work for different hammies.

bonkers4hamsters
01-04-2013, 08:15 AM
So would you say a teaspoon of mix for my ww and a couple for my syrian daily?

Silver
01-04-2013, 08:48 AM
I "think" people have fed a table spoon for a Syrian a day.

Someone will come along soon who feeds like this

Silver xxx

Lougarry
01-04-2013, 10:25 AM
I feed a dessert spoon daily to all mine, regardless of whether they are Syrian, Chinese or Robo.

bonkers4hamsters
01-04-2013, 11:02 AM
I will have to see what measuring spoons I have!

Biyu
01-04-2013, 11:39 AM
What's a "dessert spoon"? What's that equate to? Over here there's teaspoons tablespoons and if you're lucky soup spoons that are more round then the outher 2 that are more oval towards a point

Silver
01-04-2013, 11:40 AM
Table spoon

Silver xxx

Biyu
01-04-2013, 12:19 PM
Thankies lol

Lougarry
01-04-2013, 12:23 PM
No, a dessert spoon is more than a teaspoon and less than a tablespoon. It's roughly equivalent to 2 teaspoons, wheas a tablespoon is equivalent to 3 teaspoons:
http://www.hintsandthings.co.uk/kitchen/measures.htm
It's about the same as a soup spoon.

I don't use measuring spoons, though. I just have an old metal dessert spoon in the hamster room that I dish it out with :)

Silver
01-04-2013, 12:24 PM
Now I've learnt something new today

Thank You Lougarry

Silver xxx

Hampton Harris
01-04-2013, 02:17 PM
Hampton eats 2 Bowles of food a day. Is this too much? She's only 6 weeks old

Lougarry
01-04-2013, 02:34 PM
My word, that's a lot!!! Have you checked whether she has a big store somewhere that she's putting most of it in?

Kissa
01-04-2013, 03:12 PM
Darla my Robo gets a teaspoon a day. Annie did get a table spoon a day but I'm cutting it back because her store was getting large and I didn't want to throw so much food away ;) It's now about 2/3 a table spoon a day (so probably a dessert spoon ;)) and she's not lost weight but now I am not throwing so much stored food out :)

One question, though, are people talked about heaped spoons or flat spoons? I'm talked about flat, or at least as flat as you can get hamster mix in a spoon ;)

Ellie
01-04-2013, 03:16 PM
Younger hamsters eat alot more then older ones as they do all there growing in the first 16 weeks, I have a young hamster here at the moment who is probably eating triple what all the others are!!

I have 13 hamsters, 2 dwarfs, 11 syrians. At the moment I am just checking their food daily, if they have a pile of food stored in the corner they don't get fed, but when I am down to their last few bits, I re-top the bowls to the top. If it is coming up to clean-out today I won't feed a day or 2 before as don't want to waste. Some are eating alot more than others so it just depends on the ham!

Lougarry
01-04-2013, 03:41 PM
One question, though, are people talked about heaped spoons or flat spoons? I'm talked about flat, or at least as flat as you can get hamster mix in a spoon ;)

In my case, a level dessert spoon :)

Hampton Harris
01-05-2013, 12:55 AM
Thanks for all the help. I've just done a spot check on hampton's cage and she had loads of food stored.

Clean cage and only 1 bowl of food

Kissa
01-05-2013, 03:03 AM
In my case, a level dessert spoon :)

Hah, I meant to say level when I said flat ;) I blame lack of sleep :p