PDA

View Full Version : whats the difference between hamster and gerbil food?

Call me Alison
01-03-2013, 12:52 PM
hello...

i know hamsters and gerbils have different nutritional needs but i was wondering if anybody could tell me what the difference is between hamster and gerbil food?

are there different ingredients in gerbil food?

I'm asking as i watched a YouTube vid today and someone was feeding gerry gerbil and said that the only difference in that andharry hamster was that Gerry mix had bigger pieces and raisins!

i'm guessing there is more to it than that!

xxx

Silver
01-03-2013, 12:56 PM
Hamsters need:

19% Protein 6% Fat 8% Fiber

Gerbils need:

15.5% protein 8% Fat 7% Fiber

Hams & Gerbils can eat the same seeds/grains/nuts/pulses/egg. Gerbils are not diabetes prone so enjoy fruit added to the mix's

Silver xxx

StarlightSerenity
01-03-2013, 12:56 PM
The pieces might look the same but the stuff they add for the nutrition will be different I expect.

Ingredients for the Gerbil mix:

Wheat, maize, flaked maize, soya flakes, oats, flaked peas, lucerne meal (alfalfa), carrots, pumpkin seeds, raisins, locust beans, soya oil, minerals, salt. Additives: Colourants.

Ingredients for the Hamster mix:

Lucerne meal (alfalfa), flaked maize, soya, wheat flour, maize, flaked wheat, flaked peas, oats, sunflower seeds (min 4%), locust bean, peanuts (min 2%), flaked soybeans, banana & fenugreek oil, soy oil, minerals. Additives: Colourants.

So there are differences, I have no idea if the Gerbil mix is actually any good for gerbils but it's not suitable for hamsters. Added salt plus the protien etc levels are wrong.

StarlightSerenity
01-03-2013, 12:59 PM
Hamsters need:

19% Protein 6% Fat 8% Fiber

Gerbils need:

15.5% protein 8% Fat 7% Fiber

Hams & Gerbils can eat the same seeds/grains/nuts/pulses/egg. Gerbils are not diabetes prone so enjoy fruit added to the mix's

Silver xxx

According to who and what scientific research? Always wondered that.

Silver
01-03-2013, 01:02 PM
I have just recently answered another members questions about making there own food & I think you will find the answers you are looking for there.

Please search the nutrition section.

I believe I have answered this question many, many times on this forum on the boards & in private P.M's to myself.

So I am sure you will find my opinions here somewhere

Silver xxx

Call me Alison
01-03-2013, 01:21 PM
thank you silver and starlight, brilliant replies as always :) xxx

StarlightSerenity
01-03-2013, 01:24 PM
You're welcome hon :D

Silver
01-03-2013, 01:24 PM
thank you silver and starlight, brilliant replies as always :) xxx

Your also welcome