PDA

View Full Version : Colin isn`t sleeping, acting erratic

Frusham
01-03-2013, 09:36 AM
Hello, I am new to this site and pet owning, so please bare with me if I am just being over cautious.
My wonderful partner took me to buy a hamster as my crimbo present on 27th Dec.
He seemed to initially settle in ok, setting up home in the play tube attached to the cage, with all bedding and food in there with him.
Yesterday I went to buy him treats and toys. I introduced them to him once he was awake that afternoon about 4pm. He seemed to like them at first, playing with them a little, then he seemed to get spooked by something and ran into his tube and from end to end but not coming out. When he finally came out he was jumping all over the cage, climbing his walls clinging onto the wire with paws and teeth, trying to push his face through the bars and looking very scared. I thought there might have been a spider in the cage that spooked hi but I could not see anything.
He then ran on his wheel erratically all night until I went to see him this morning. He was still running, the wheel had urine in it which was over the little chap too. So I tried to encourage him off with food which he took from me calmly but then became erratic again.
He has been awake since yesterday and I am very worried about him, he pushed all his soiled bedding out of the tube yesterday which I then changed for clean bedding as I have done before, but he has not touched it today, so now I am worried he is getting cold!
Am I being a paranoid new pet owner? I have called the pet shop I got him from and they suggest he might have had a sugar rush from the milk drop treat I have him yesterday and just had far too much energy to run off. I have to admit I am not wholly convinced by this. I think I have been checking on him a bit too much so I have left him alone today and not checked on him once to hope he can chill out a bit and settle back down and most of all sleep!
Any help or advice would be very much appreciated,
Many thanks.

fadedpages
01-03-2013, 10:31 AM
I replied to your other thread, but to be honest it sounds like giving him some peace and being patient is the best thing you can do for him right now, hopefully he'll burn off all his energy and calm down. Fingers crossed he settles okay, both for his sake and yours. :)