PDA

View Full Version : Red's Thread (note: need variety help)

Dara
12-26-2012, 06:42 PM
Hello! So as a present for finally updating to an Exo-Terra, I figured I'd go ahead and pick up another lady for Charlie to house with. I absolutely adored her the moment I saw her, however they told me she was a sole survivor of a mange problem that they'd had and apparently she was the sole survivor of her litter. She's very skittish, and has several patches of hair missing that probably won't grow back (though she was vet cleared), but I'm hoping with some TLC we'll get her nice and companionable. :3

Anyway, to my point, she was grouped in the Djungarian area, however she has the coloring similar to a common robo (a bit lighter, though), and ruby eyes. I've never heard of a Djung with tan coloring, let alone seen one. Do any of you know what sort of hybrid or variety she could be?

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e50/Willow-rabbit/IMG_0069-1.jpg

kyrilliondaemon
12-26-2012, 06:54 PM
She's the same as any other hybrid, a winter white/campbells hybrid.

And by "house with" do you mean in the same cage? If so, you are prepared for if it doesn't work out, right? And please, please tell me Charlie is a female...

Dara
12-26-2012, 07:31 PM
I'm totally prepared for everything, especially because Charlie's been housed on her own her entire life, I wouldn't have gotten another one if I hadn't had an extra housing option (hence why I waited until I got my new terrarium).

She's in QT right now anyway, so I'm waiting until that's through to start introductions. I'm still paranoid about mange coming back and want to make sure it's not going to be a problem before she goes anywhere.

Just for reference, though, I've had rodents (properly kept rodents, mind) for years now. I may not know a whole lot about hamsters, but I know that with any rodent can be finicky, and I wouldn't dare do something without knowing what's going on.

:P

racinghamster
12-27-2012, 05:11 AM
To be honest, I wouldn`t risk a hamster that has had/may still have mange mites with a healthy hamster who is unrelated. Single hamsters that have lived alone for the best part of their lives usually want to stay that way. It`s a nice idea to try to introduce them and if your new hamster is younger, it may work. But adults usually throw their weight about just because of the age and size differences, so th risks are high.

When the older one passes on, your left with a single hamster again. But if you go ahead and introduce them, a split cage is the best way to do it as it keeps the hamster seperated and allows them to see and smell one another without doing any harm to each other. They might also be vocal and show agression. If they are just placed together in a clean cage without a secure split in place, things may turn nasty pretty quickly.

Dara
12-28-2012, 04:07 PM
Right, that makes sense. I do want to give it a try, mainly because that was the purpose for getting her, but if it doesn't work I don't intend on pushing it. I have plenty room for both of them without forcing them to live together if it's not going to work. (:

racinghamster
12-29-2012, 04:29 AM
Glad you found my split cage advice useful. Sometimes it`s better just to admit defeat and keep them single and not cause them any undue stress. Especially the newbie as she`s had enough issues to deal with in her young life. I do appreciate the fact that having pairs is something many people feel is whats best for the hamsters because they live in pairs and groups in the wild, but what we tend to forget is, they don`t live in same sex pairs in the wild, the female would co-habit with a male and not another female, or a male with another male, which is why many captive same sex pairs end up needing split up. They just can`t be in the same territory as one another. It`s not natural unless they are still with their mum at a very young age.

Good luck whatever you decide, but bare in mind what I`ve said. It`s really lovely that you took on the new hamster due to her problems and hopefully, she will grow to be a great little pet once she gains trust.

lucyeleanor
12-30-2012, 10:29 AM
Make sure that you have researched absolutely everything before you even begin to think to introduce them. It is really difficult.

I have two sets of brothers, robos and russians, who both fell out after living together since birth for 6 months. I researched and asked questions on here for weeks before I started, and I did absolutely everything as advised, so it should have worked out perfectly. I tried multiple attempts, weeks apart, but it was obvious that it was putting the hamsters under a lot of undue stress. Not to mention, it is extremely difficult to watch the hamsters you love fight, squeak and hiss. Eventually, I admitted defeat and decided that it was best for the hamsters to stay apart.

I have found that they seem to enjoy living with a divider splitting their bincage in half, allowing them to socialize and avoid loneliness, but giving them their own territory and preventing injury. Your hamsters should not feel any loneliness being singular, because they are already used to living on their own. The benefits of introducing are small and difficult to achieve. Whereas, the consequences and negatives are many and dangerous.

Also note, that just because you have experience with other rodents doesn't mean you can easily introduce hamsters. One member, I can't remember who now, said that bonding mice is a piece of cake, but hamsters are a hell of a lot harder.

Best of luck, whatever you decide to do :)

Dara
01-07-2013, 05:55 AM
Red's been doing fantastic, I'll have to hunt up some recent pictures later because she looks pitiful in these. Her hair is growing back bit by bit, and she's putting on some weight. I haven't noticed any signs of over grooming or copious itching, so I have high hopes that her treatment was completed accordingly. I've been researching a bit, and I'm going to attempt a couple of intro's with Charlie next week. If it doesn't work - that's that. I don't have any intention on pushing it as they won't be missing anything by not having company, I'll just keep her in her current habitat.

I appreciate all your tips! It's been a great help with making decisions according to their best interests.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e50/Willow-rabbit/IMG_0089.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e50/Willow-rabbit/IMG_0124.jpg

StarlightSerenity
01-07-2013, 06:05 AM
Good luck with the intro's!

Random question - the blue mesh looking thing in the first picture in your latest post, is it a mesh wheel? If so, mesh and/or barred wheels are bad for hamsters feet and can potentially cause bumblefoot, solid plastic or wooden wheels are the kindest on hammy feet :)