PDA

View Full Version : Dubeanie babies!

Spuds Mum
05-06-2008, 12:43 PM
As some of you know our BB (Butterbean - sorry I_N) and Dubaku had a litter on 28th April.

Mum has kept the pups well spirited away and covered in mounds of bedding, but tonight I came home to find the nest open and her nursing the pups laid on her side (probably due to the nice weather)

She then left the nest open to come out for her dinner, and so I know now that we definitely have 5 pups. They are all nicely sized (4 of them are right puddings and one slightly smaller) and all very wriggly.

I managed to watch them for a good couple of minutes, and can tell that we definitely have one satin girl, and at least 2 other girls. The other pups declined to turn over! :roll: they are all definitely Black eyed creams and should all be longhaired (though I cant tell that yet!)

I'm really excited, just a month or so ago, I reconciled myself to not having a line from BB as her previous litter had all gone to pet homes, apart from Chip who I wont breed from. I still remember proudly though when BB feeding her pups was a calendar photo for HC.

Anyway, she's being a wonderful Mum again, just like last time, and no doubt in just over a week I will be able to show you them properly when their eyes have opened! :x :x

Until then, just take my word for it - they are great :D

souffle
05-06-2008, 12:48 PM
Isn't it amazing how they know to open up the nest to control the temperature. It has been warm today. I still remember Holly's volcano panic when we had a cold snap too! :lol: So glad to hear the pups are doing well and you have a nice sized litter. Just right for a more mature mum to manage :wink: Looking forward to seeing the little chaps and chapletttes. :lol:

Mollz Mum
05-06-2008, 12:51 PM
YAY, way to go Butterbean (and Spud's Mum).

Eagerly awaiting photos when they are old enough of course!..............

Basia
05-06-2008, 01:06 PM
Aw, I'm so looking forward to seeing BB's babies. :D

Gust0o
05-06-2008, 01:09 PM
Wow, this is excellent news :)

Bunsey
05-06-2008, 01:09 PM
can't wait to see piccies of the lovelies :D

05-06-2008, 01:11 PM
How exciting! Can't wait to see some pics. :D

Mollz
05-06-2008, 01:40 PM
I know you have been waiting for these babies for a long time and that you must be over the moon!
Congratulations - especially as it sounds as if BB is a brilliant mum getting the temperature right for the babies and everything!

internet_nobody
05-06-2008, 02:24 PM
Congrats Spud's Mum and BB ;)

ilovemyhammies
05-06-2008, 02:54 PM
congratulations
how can you tell the colur and sex so early?
my honey had her babies 28th april - 1st ish may (was away on hols) so what do i need to look for colourwise?

Yaffle
05-06-2008, 03:12 PM
Yay! Well done BB :D

Spuds Mum
05-06-2008, 11:47 PM
congratulations
how can you tell the colur and sex so early?
my honey had her babies 28th april - 1st ish may (was away on hols) so what do i need to look for colourwise?

well ILMH, the colour is a lot easier to tell if you have pedigrees for the parents, as this narrows down the possibilities. Really in this litter I would only have expected cream as that is all that their ancestors have been since way back. There was a possibility that we would get red-eyed or black eyed cream as Mum and Dad are one of each - but they are black eyed, and I can tell as I can see the eyes through the skin - meaning they are black. If they are red-eyed you cant see the eyes (which caused us a panic with our first litter of red-eyes :oops: )

As for the sex, its very easy early on to be honest. In girls you see a prominent line of nipples that males dont have - these are easier to see of course before the fur grows!

Hope that helps - and good look with your litter - I guess both litters will be doing the same things at about the same time! :D

Holly
05-07-2008, 02:15 AM
Whoo hoo!!!! Well done Butts, you lovely girl :wink:

Congratulations, SM, I'm so glad you've got some little Butts ( :P ) to continue the line. Sorry you didn't get the REC you were hoping for but I've a feeling there's going to be some LH BEC beauties in this litter. Can't wait for piccies 8)

agatecrystal
05-08-2008, 02:12 AM
Great news. Looking forward to seeing the pups.

Yaffle
05-09-2008, 11:21 AM
How are Butterbean and the Dubeanies doing Spud? :D

Spuds Mum
05-09-2008, 01:29 PM
These babies are Blooming fabooolus :wink: They almost grow before my eyes, and over the last two days have finally managed to escape from Alcatraz (well BB's nest was almost as impenetrable) and are scooting about eating baby food and having fun. One girl is definitely satin - there may be another in there too although I am still not quite sure. They are all very large and plump and totally healthy thank goodness so far :D
BB is very laid back and extremely gentle when putting the pups back in the nest, I was watching her tonight and each one she gently held by the back of the neck.

The pups are so lively already at 12 days when Arti put some baby food in the cage and still had the spoon in his hand, they all came rushing out to eat from the spoon.

I cant believe that they will open their eyes shortly - it has gone so quickly, maybe because BB kept them so well hidden for quite a while!
I really think we are going to have some wonderful babies in the litter - maybe small in numbers but large in personality and size! :D

Yaffle
05-09-2008, 01:42 PM
Awww that's such good news :D

Say hello to them all from me :wink:

Holly
05-09-2008, 02:28 PM
Brilliant news, can't wait to meet the little guys and gals - and I hope there's a future girlfriend for my Eggy in there :wink:

Spuds Mum
05-09-2008, 02:30 PM

You want me to say hello to anyone in particular Yaffs? :wink:
sorry I edited your post to add this comment instead of clicking on the quote button - nothing sinister, just something chardonnay :oops:

Yaffle
05-09-2008, 03:00 PM

You want me to say hello to anyone in particular Yaffs? :wink:
sorry I edited your post to add this comment instead of clicking on the quote button - nothing sinister, just something chardonnay :oops:

Hee hee, say hello to the girls and say hopefully I will see one very special girl soon :wink:

agatecrystal
05-10-2008, 02:24 PM
Sounds liek they are doing really well. Can't wait to see pictures when they are old enough!

Spuds Mum
05-10-2008, 02:38 PM
Sounds liek they are doing really well. Can't wait to see pictures when they are old enough!

Cant wait to show you them ac! :D They are all over the cage now, the minute Mums back is turned, and I think that their teeth are getting quite sharp as we have heard lots of BB complaining when they are all in the nest - I dont speak hamster but I swear I heard her say "Ouch you little swine, that really hurt!" a couple of times today :x

Spuds Mum
05-11-2008, 01:36 PM
Well one of the pups opened her eyes today, so I am sure that I will soon be able to post pics! :D

sarahh
05-11-2008, 01:45 PM
Aww congrats on the new additions.

Yaffle
05-11-2008, 03:17 PM
Awww good news, dosn't time fly? :D

Basia
05-11-2008, 03:23 PM
Good, I can't wait to meet the beanie babies. :D
Do you know what sexes they are yet?

Spuds Mum
05-11-2008, 11:55 PM
I'm not 100% until I can handle them, but having a smaller litter has its advantages in that you can see them a little more easily.

I think we have 3 girls (2 normal, 1 satin) and 2 boys (both normal) :D

Holly
05-12-2008, 01:55 AM
Oh goody, more baby piccies :wink: