PDA

View Full Version : Russian hamster color

Queen Of The High Teas
12-24-2012, 05:13 PM
Is there such a thing as a jet black or pure Black Russian dwarf? Either Campbell's or WW? Or is it only Syrians who can come in this color?Just thinking I've never seen one, but is that due to them being hard to get or do they simply not exist?

gutterglitterxx
12-24-2012, 05:24 PM
My Roxy was almost black, more of a dark grey though. But HC member RachK has one of the most beautiful little black dwarfies I've ever seen. :)

Biscotti
12-24-2012, 07:35 PM
There are black campbells or campbell-leaning hybrids, but they all tend to have small amount of whites on them (chin, feet, sometimes a small strip down the chest). As far as I know, there are no "pure black" dwarfs that breed true. There are breeders who select for the blackest coloring, and some lines do look jet black, but I've read that those are not the same as the true black in syrians.

StuCil
12-24-2012, 08:24 PM
Yeap, my Oreo is black, so was my Chip. They're campbells, BUT they do have white strips down their chests ;)

Queen Of The High Teas
12-27-2012, 06:38 AM
Ok thanks for that. Anyone know if you can get black Russians in the UK?

amie
12-27-2012, 06:50 AM
Ok thanks for that. Anyone know if you can get black Russians in the UK?

By Black Russians, do you mean black Campbells?
Black Campbells are bred in the UK.

Silver
12-27-2012, 07:32 AM
Hello Wobbles,

You can get Pure Campbell's in black.

Here is a website showing you the Pure colours of Campbell's & WW's.

If you click on the species it will show you the colours, except Marbled WW's & the Robo's are not showing the latest colours they come in.

http://www.southernhamsterclub.co.uk/new/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=58&Itemid=73

Silver xxx

RachK
12-27-2012, 09:28 AM
And here she is. :)

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb138/RachK_album/Ebony/DSCF9704.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb138/RachK_album/Ebony/DSCF7970.jpg

She is very black but does have the white feet & stripe on her belly/chest.

Queen Of The High Teas
12-27-2012, 04:57 PM
Oh wow RachK she is stunning! So beautiful! Please could you tell me where you managed to get her from? I'm guessing not from p@h or a general pet store!:D

Biscotti
12-27-2012, 05:11 PM
Agreed! Ebony is the most beautiful black campbell I've ever seen! So cute too. :D

Cupcake
12-27-2012, 06:33 PM
wooooow Ebonyyyy <3 I'm in loveeeeeee

RachK
12-28-2012, 06:59 AM
I got her from my local family run Pet Shop. The same place I got my WW's from too. Pet Shop owners WW breeder packed in & he was going to breed them himself, he had one litter which I got Pixie from & then he decided not to bother so I ended up with the remaining breeding hams Peggy, Herbie, Luna & Hershel.

He found a new breeder of Campbells/Hybrids (I'm assuming she might be Hybrid) & Ebony was from this litter but now he is no longer going to be selling hams anymore. :( The whole litter were stunning.

I wasn't getting another new ham but when I saw Ebony I had to have her. She is a little sweetheart so friendly. :)

I'll miss getting my dwarfs from here as they have all been great little hams.

Queen Of The High Teas
12-28-2012, 08:51 AM
Thanks for that. She is absolutely beautiful, I've never seen a back Russian before, now I'm determined to get one! No idea how though, never seen them advertised before:mad:.

Silver
12-28-2012, 09:07 AM
Sue12 TuftyFluff hamstery breeds Pure Black Campbells Home - Tuftyfluff Hamsters (http://tuftyfluffhamsters.webs.com/)

And so does Mel at Wellington Hamstery Home - Wellington Hamsters (http://www.freewebs.com/wellingtonhamsters/)

There websites are normally not up to date so you could use the contact me form on there websites

Silver xxx

RachK
12-28-2012, 10:45 AM
Oh yes Mel's hams are stunning. We have each other on FB & she does breed the most gorgeous little Campbells. :)
I'm going to check out Sue's now too. :)

Silver
12-28-2012, 10:59 AM
Little Amy's Mel's hammy & Jan is Sue's hammy both are lovely people.

I don't know if they have pup's in black now, but do know they both have a line of Black Campbell's

Silver xxx

RachK
12-28-2012, 11:10 AM
I must of forgotten Amy was from Mel. Not surprised since she is so round! :)

Silver
12-28-2012, 11:12 AM
LOL

She sure is

Silver xxx

Queen Of The High Teas
12-28-2012, 01:16 PM
Ooh thank you Silver:D. I've had a peek at their sites and they are out of date, so I guess the only way is to contact them. Do you mind me asking, your hammies arrived via courier didn't they? Do you know if these breeders would be willing to allow a courier pick up? Thanks.

Silver
12-28-2012, 01:19 PM
Amy came by pet courier the same one you used & Mel was ok about it

And Sue done me a lovely favour & brought her litters to me two years ago. But have not spoken to Sue about couriers before

Silver xxx

Queen Of The High Teas
12-28-2012, 01:23 PM
Great, thanks Silver:). I've set my mind on a little black Dwarfie now, and once my mind is made up thats it. I'm also terrible at being patient:mad:. So one is going to have to come to my hamsterarium:mrgreen:

Silver
12-28-2012, 01:26 PM
Be careful not to over do it Wobbles, it's so easily done as I've done it myself, but with me I over done it with three due to my illnesses three was a struggle for me.

I don't mean that in a rude way at all I hope you understand

Silver xxx

Queen Of The High Teas
12-28-2012, 01:52 PM
No, thats fine Silver, I know what you mean, don't worry. To be honest, time with another ham won't be a problem, as I've had to rehome my rats:(. Unfortunately, due to the business I've just set up, I just couldn't give them what they needed. Rats are pretty demanding in terms of care and time, and want to be out all the time, in the day, when I simply can't see to them. So I decided to let them go to someone who would be far better for them.

But hamsters are totally different, they awaken early evening, just perfect for when I'm done for the day and want something to take my mind from the dogs I've been around all day. I've always loved them, their my favorite pet other than a dog, they suit me and I suit them, so I've decided to concentrate on just keeping hammies.

I know I proberbly won't find a black one straight away, it took me months to find my Satin BEC and my pied/white robos, so I'm starting early on the research. It's helping to take my mind off the rats, and giving me the strength to hand them over. I'm keeping in my mind that their going to a truly fabulous home, totally suited to them, and I will have my hammies better suited for me.

Silver
12-28-2012, 02:00 PM
Pleased you took it in the right way, thought you knew me well enough now, it is hard to let any animal go & I think you are doing a brave wise thing.

With the Pure WW's & C the exhibitor's/breeders keep the pups that can be shown for them self first then they go to other exhibitor/breeders next to keep the few lines going, then look for pet homes so sometimes it is a long wait. Shame there are not more NHC Exhibitors/breeders who breed Pure WW/C. I hope more people will take this up.

Silver xxx

Queen Of The High Teas
12-28-2012, 02:21 PM
Thanks Silver:). Yes it's a very difficult decision, but I weighed it up as: I keep them, but can't fulfil their needs properly, and can't manage them, therefore inadvertently affecting the others, so no one wins, against them being with someone who understands and can meet their requirements properly, leaving me less pressure and more time to the hamsters, which means everyone wins. Once I'd sorted that out in my mind, the choice was obvious, and it does help knowing their going to a wonderful home, that I know is far better than I can offer them. Doesn't make it less painful, but it does make it more bearable. I will miss them, but at least now I know, that for the foreseeable at least, rats aren't for me. Maybe one day, but not right now.

Silver
12-28-2012, 02:24 PM
Very wise Wobbles

Silver xxx

Queen Of The High Teas
01-04-2013, 03:33 PM
Thought I'd bump this up rather than open a new thread:p

Does anyone know, if you have to reserve a hamster months in advance off a breeder, or just email them and see if they have anything available? And if they don't how long roughly would you have to wait for? I don't want one immediately (well not unless one became available), but I'm not sure if I should contact a breeder or not? I've never done this before, it's usually been straight down to pets at home, and my last breeder hams were actually advertised and I just replied to the ads.

Kissa
01-04-2013, 03:47 PM
To be honest, what I'd do is email a breeder you like the look of the hamsters from, and explain that you're not looking for a hamster RIGHTTHISSECOND but you are interested in the ones they breed and could you be put on a waiting list or something?

sully
01-04-2013, 03:59 PM
Wobbles, just wondered has Bernie got your rats yet?

StarlightSerenity
01-04-2013, 04:04 PM
When I contact Evey's breeder I just asked about future litters that he had planned, I told him I didn't know when I would be ready for another ham, just that it would be relatively soon and if he could give me some idea when he would have pups ready. I was basically put on a waiting list and ended up getting first pick of a litter :)

Queen Of The High Teas
01-06-2013, 10:51 AM
Wobbles, just wondered has Bernie got your rats yet?

Hi Sully

Not quite, most of the journey is covered now, transport just needs sorting from this end to the midlands:).

Silver
01-06-2013, 10:58 AM
when I am ready for a new ham & I have a colour or colours in mind I email the breeders nearest me & asked what litters they have & if they are going to be breeding more hams in the colour or colours I want.

Then go from there. With Dwarfs it is harder to get them because there are so few breeders of Pure C & WW's.

Once a litter is born the breeders sees if they want to keep some, then they usually go to other breeders who breed pure C or WW's then it's pets homes, so a small litter could all be spoken for straight away

If this is the case the breeders can keep your details for when they have one

Silver xxx